Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #1371 
inkrealm

I'm not sure about the rest enough to give any good advice, but the white floating stuff might be calcium.... I heard someone else with white stuff and that's what it was... but I'm not positive.
I get white stuff in mine too sometimes, but not all the time or in huge amounts sorry <o^o>
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #1372 
erinHAZ

Is there any easy way to clean the pebbles on the bottom of the tank without doing a 100% water change?
erinHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #1373 
inkrealm

@erin
I just prod through mine well with a gentle siphon, or even a turkey baster. I think the purpose is just to get any loose waste, food, plant matter, etc. out. works fine for mine anyway and they're tiny gravel ^-^ medium smoothe aquarium stones work well too though if you want an easier more assuring clean. :)
I blow the air out rather than in first to knock them around a bit, in case anything is stock on them, just be sure your buddy isn't nearby ^-^ though mine takes the bubbles fairly well x3 and watch for stress streaks when you introduce it till he learns it's no threat.
like I said though, the smoothe medium rocks are much easier as well and stuff shouldn't stick to them so all you'd need to do is poke through them, shift them around a tad.. I really don't find a lot of waste in my gravel unless I've been fiddling with the live plants,

Last edited by inkrealm; 05-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #1374 
laughing

I purchased a 50 watt heater for my 10 gallon. I bought it used from someone so I have yet to fins out if it is adjustable or not.

My apartment keeps my tanks between 74*-84*. Depends on the location and how high the AC is on. Therefore if it is preset, how should I do this? Unplug it when it is too warm, take it out, or let it be toasty?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #1375 
inkrealm

@laughing if it's preset it shouldn't turn on unless the temp gets too low. but if it warm enough without it and it seems to turn on anyway and make it too warm, just unplug it. 85 and up is pushing it for the fish; personally I prefer 79-80, 82 tops, 84 should be okay though I think, as some people turn it up that high to treat itch, which ofcourse, is on the fish, and therefore contains the fish in this temperature of water. ^-^

you can also float ( clean and secure ) plastic ( #5 if possible ) tubs of ice to cool it off if needed, as well as aiming fans at it, etc. I think those methods were discussed a few posts back on here ^-^
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #1376 
laughing

Well I wanted it more for nights and some afternoons. I don't have any idea what the temp of the water will be for this tank in itplace because my others are int 2.5 gallons. Therefore I am concerned about it not heating up as fast as these little tanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #1377 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
It look like an air bubble is inside him. His body is kinda white/cello so you can kinda see through him when the light is on behind the tank. I will take a picture next time it happens. sometimes the poop is the color of the pellets but most of the time it is white with a black dot on it. I suppose the white stuff is more like fungus rather than goopy. its always throughout the water and never on his body. He is a CT and I remember people saying CT gets SBD more than other bettas. could his poop be the white stuff floating in the tank? Can it sorta disolve from the white string and break up like that-maybe if he has parasites?
hmmm, the poop sounds like he has parasites... I honestly don't know much about them, but BettaSlave could probably give you some advice :)

ErinHAZ, depending on the size of your tank, you might still have to do 100% water changes, but if it's cycled or you are doing a partial water change, then you can use a gravel vaccuum, they work well.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #1378 
inkrealm

if it's pre-set it should start when the water temp gets too low and stop when it reaches the set temp, ( usually 78 or so ) you can do a test run before adding the fish maybe? ^-^
it sounds like it's pretty warm where you are, if without it it stays those temps, so I think it should be okay ^-^
since I use treated tap it's also easy to adjust what temp the water is when I add it in and you could gently add some warmer water in a pinch.... we've had some chilly mornings though and mine has always done okay. ^-^
blankets around the glass are good insulators, though they make it hard to view the fish, if any of this helps at all ^-^;
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #1379 
laughing

Oh ya my 2.5s have never had a problem but my 20 was always around 72*.

So preset heaters stop at about 78-80*? That's good to know! I am putting it in the tank tomorrow and will watch the temp and how the heater is for about 5 days. That way I know if it has electrical problems or something.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #1380 
inkrealm

yur, they won't turn on unless it lowers down to the temp or just below the temp it's set to. and once it heats it back to that temp it stops.
so if it's set to 78 it won't turn on unless it hits 76 or 77, and once it gets back to 78 it'll stop, no worries. ^-^ it won't even turn on unless it gets too low though :P which is what I /think/ is what you wanted it sounds like x3;
I just leave mine plugged in even on hot days as a safe guard in case it gets too low that night with a sudden temp drop or that afternoon with a sudden storm or whatever ^-^
best wishes :D

if you want I guess you could stick a thermo in the corner near the heater and one in the far corner away from the heater to make sure both sides are safe temps. it really should be fine though ^-^
people say generally 5 watts per gallon so for a ten that would be exactly 50 :)
make sure the thermos are accurate too, mine always freaks me out reading really low, but when I rinse my hands with hot water and let them re ajust and then hold them in the tank a bit to check it feels fine, even warm sometimes, and my fish never acts cold or uncomfortable in the least, ^-^

Last edited by inkrealm; 05-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.