Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #1 
orphansparrow

a kind of sad...or maybe happy story

hey there everyone,

so, not too long ago, i got my little buddy yangtze, the red veil tale, at walmart. i loved him.

besides school and 2 jobs, i have quite a lot of personal stuff going on.

because of this i generally have a one fish rule, so i don't get too stressed with it, but i hadn't had bettas in a few years, and i kind of forgot why i had this rule...

so, a few weeks ago, in a moment of weakness, i acquired 2 more bettas on the same day. spent well over $100 to get them all set up, and then...kind of freaked out.

i realized soon that i was crazy to get two more fish, with the responsibility that goes along with that, in conjunction to all that is going on with my life.

i realized very soon i would have to rehome them. all 3 of them i thought.

one of the fish i got was really sick, close to dying i thought, and i wanted to give him some more comfortable last days. well, with a heater, salt treatment, and sparkling clean water, he started to actually feel better. he started to swim! he wasn't eating still, but at least he wasn't just laying clamped up on his side, on the bottom of his tank.

well, in the meantime, i sort of fell in love with one of the new fish..this guy:

he had just the sweetest personality. kind of dorky almost. just a character.
but i didn't name him and i didn't get attached, because i knew i'd have to let him go soon.

so i posted a thread here, asking if anyone would want them. i'm really particular about any pets i have, and didn't want them going to just anyone.

well, a member here, yoshesmom, wrote me instantly saying she would take them.

it took me a few days, but soon it was the day to ship them off. within those few days, i was convinced by a friend, and by yoshesmom, that i could probably still handle just one. i knew it had to be my red guy, yangtze, because i had had him the longest. but secretly, i wished i could keep the new guy i loved too. i knew i couldn't keep two, so at the last minute, i thought yangtze wouldn't really care where he lived, and that i would keep the new guy.

so, i packaged yangtze, the red veil tale, and the now-better grey plakat, all up to be shipped. i felt my heart instantly break, and i thought i would regret this. i cried. and i was ridiculous about it. but i went through with it.

i went to the post office, paying almost $60 to get them to yoshesmom's house a few states away, ASAP.

so now, thanks to her, the grey plakat is doing better than ever, and my red sweetie has a good home too.

i honestly still don't know if i made the right decision. as i still feel overly sad about my little yangtze. however, i know he's got a good mom now.

and now i am focusing my attention on my ONE and only little guy, who now really needs a name.

he's the one in my avatar, and i hope you will all welcome him to the board.

i have again reinstated my ONE fish rule.

i will have this guy only until the day he dies, and only then will i get another.

lesson learned.

(it's amazing how attached you can get to a fish.)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

Haha, I did something kind of like that, but it was with a dwarf pufferfish. Everything would have been fine if Robert would have gotten along with the frogs, but he was freaking out and flashing against things and scratching himself and he just never calmed down. Plus, I couldn't get the puffer to consistently eat anything.... so I ended up returning her and moving Robert back to his tank. He is now the happy little boy I bought from the store again. :)

I'm sure you did the right thing. I saw Yoshesmom's pictures of your boys and they look GREAT.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #3 
YoshesMom

awww thats so sad cara! I cried darn it! Ash is the biggest PIG now he eats all his food and tries to steal some from Rhet through the divider!
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #4 
YoshesMom

Ash has the best grumpy old man face its soo funny here they are trying to eat each others blood worms im going out today to see if i can find them a new brother oh and Suki for your other fish...it means Beloved
Attached Images

YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #5 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Haha, I did something kind of like that, but it was with a dwarf pufferfish. Everything would have been fine if Robert would have gotten along with the frogs, but he was freaking out and flashing against things and scratching himself and he just never calmed down. Plus, I couldn't get the puffer to consistently eat anything.... so I ended up returning her and moving Robert back to his tank. He is now the happy little boy I bought from the store again. :)

I'm sure you did the right thing. I saw Yoshesmom's pictures of your boys and they look GREAT.
so, you understand then~ thanks so much fuulie. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshesMom View Post
awww thats so sad cara! I cried darn it! Ash is the biggest PIG now he eats all his food and tries to steal some from Rhet through the divider!
oh i'm sorry R! i didn't mean to make you cry. :( i'm glad ash is eating so much. he must be happy! it's really wonderful. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshesMom View Post
Ash has the best grumpy old man face its soo funny here they are trying to eat each others blood worms im going out today to see if i can find them a new brother oh and Suki for your other fish...it means Beloved
i know what you mean! that's what endeared me to ash. big ol grumpy face. :) thank you so much for the photos too!

and wow, another brother!? you are an amazing woman.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote