Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #1 
DeadMemories92

Am I the only one who feels this way?

About putting my fish in an emergency tank? I feel like I'm taking their home from them. xD I know they'll be right back but I feel so bad! All my fishes have ick now. Not sure HOW they got it, but I do know it started with one fish and now the others has it but I caught it in time and I'm treating them. blahhh
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 
BettaGirl290

put them in an emergency tank, you may not feel it's right, but it is!

plus when they get better in there tank, then how would they not get it again?

BUT THEM PUT IN THE EMERGENCY TANK!!!! I THE BACON QUEEN DEMAND IT! XD
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

You say that all of your fish have ich... Remember that ich spends part of its lifecycle OFF of the fish, in your TANK! So, it may be a better idea to treat your fish in their tank as I assume you'll be putting them back in when they recover. This way you'll take care of it in the tank as well.

BUT, ich also needs a fish to live for part of its lifecycle, so if your fish are out of your tank for long enough, they'll die anyway. Either way, have a good read about it so see how long is safe and also to understand its lifecycle. Wouldn't want to remove your fish, treat them, then return them just to have it flare up again because it wasn't killed in the tank!

Good luck and hope your fish get better soon!

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-26-2011 at 08:15 PM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
DeadMemories92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
You say that all of your fish have ich... Remember that ich spends part of its lifecycle OFF of the fish, in your TANK! So, it may be a better idea to treat your fish in their tank as I assume you'll be putting them back in when they recover. This way you'll take care of it in the tank as well.

BUT, ich also needs a fish to live for part of its lifecycle, so if your fish are out of your tank for long enough, they'll die anyway. Either way, have a good read about it so see how long is safe and also to understand its lifecycle. Wouldn't want to remove your fish, treat them, then return them just to have it flare up again because it wasn't killed in the tank!

Good luck and hope your fish get better soon!
I got to thinking about that. I decided to leave them in their tank honestly. I took one out and realized that if I put them back in and just kill them in the tank. I started their treatments today as I didn't really know whether it was air bubbles from putting them back into their remodeled tank last night or if it was something more. And thanks! Today is step 1 of treatment!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Ich (Ichthyophthirius multifilius) is a protozoan and very commonly affects freshwater fish. Ich is an obligate parasite, this means they need a fish to live part of their lifecycle or it will die. Their whole lifecycle takes about 7 to 10 days depending on what temperature your tank is.... the higher the temp the faster its lifecycle.

First, the parasite gets through the slime coat and burrows into the skin. It feeds off of the fish for about a week then drops off into the gravel. After a day or two this cyst bursts and releases hundreds of copies of itself and they go off and look for a fish to attach to. Without a fish, these free swimming parasites die within about 2 days in an 80 degree tank. This is why it's recommended as part of the treatment for ich to raise the temp of your tank into the low 80's... to speed up the lifecycle and increase the rate at which this parasite is killed.

You can treat ich with heat only.... 86 degrees.

Heat and salt - 1 tsp/gallon, raise temp to low 80's ..... treat for 10 days and do daily water changes & gravel vac. WCs are important to remove as many of the parasites as you can to speed up the process. Remember to add the proper salt for the water you're replacing.

Chemicals - see what's available at your lfs for these.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-26-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #6 
DeadMemories92

Okay. My heater sucks butt but when I leave the aquarium light on it usually warms it up (it's usually on a total of 4 hours per day but the times are usually split up sometimes less than 4) and also when I'm not home I can turn my A/C vent off in my room to make the room warmer. I know it won't get blazing in here (it's done nothing but rain here) and I know that I cannot leave the light on because bettas require certain amounts of light. Also, do a complete water change or just a 50%, 25%?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #7 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMemories92 View Post
Also, do a complete water change or just a 50%, 25%?
100%

...... because this parasite spends part of the time in your tank (off of your fish) swiming around LOOKING for your fish and as cysts in the gravel. So, vacuuming the gravel will get many of the cysts waiting to burst and send out hundres of little copies of themselves. Also, there will be some of the parasites in the free swimming stage, in the water looking for your fish.... so removing the water will rid your tank of these.

So each day these parasites are in the 3 different stages of it's lifecycle, and by removing as many in the gravel & as many in the water, you'll do a lot to reduce their numbers.... therefore the severety of the outbreak and you'll make it easier to control. This will eventually mean less stress for your fish, which is never anything but good!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 
DeadMemories92

Oh man. ;(

I could really use my boyfriend right about now! I'm 5 months pregnant and this is going to be a jobbbbb. I hate cleaning that fish tank but whatever helps my babies (fish babies haha)! It's a 10 gallon and it's heavy. xD
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMemories92 View Post
Oh man. ;(

I could really use my boyfriend right about now! I'm 5 months pregnant and this is going to be a jobbbbb. I hate cleaning that fish tank but whatever helps my babies (fish babies haha)! It's a 10 gallon and it's heavy. xD
Get a couple buckets!! Don't try to haul the whole tank. Also, get a gravel vacuum (aka gravel siphon). Aside from now when doing 100% daily is a great idea, it will make your life a lot easier when you do your periodic changes.

So, no need to hurt yourself in caring for your fish.

If you're unable to do 100% water changes safely, it might be a good idea to try chemicals (medications) to treat your fish at this time. But, also, if you have a gravel vacuum and a bucket it would be a good idea to do a quick vacuum of the substrate to remove some of these parasites, but probably not REALLY necessary if you're using medications.

At the end of the day you need to be healthy to be able to enjoy and care for your fishies! :)

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-26-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #10 
DeadMemories92

I have a gravel vac and an 18 quart bucket! I'll start sucking the critters off the gravels tomorrow and just haul more water in. It's a task! xD I'm also using medications for them called QuICKCure. It's treated them when I first got them back in January. I'm not really sure what causes Ick but I do know that while I was in Florida, my tank temperature dropped really bad into the upper 60's because the heater was turned off so they got really cold. :( It might have been from that or just something else! They're all about the same age and was introduced at the same time.