Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1 
DormDrax

Mysterious Tank Murder

Hey ya'll it's Dorm Drax again to explain (Yet again) just how I can't take care of my tank without this site (Seriously nothing but trauma since last time I was here.)

Snails: Dead
All of them? ... Yes

Shrimp: 14
Living? ... 1
Cause for the death of the 13? NO FREAKING IDEA! This was all within the last week. When I was showing my tank to a friend and she looked away going...

Me: "See arn't the shrimp amazingly cute!"

GF: "Wow! Look at them fight over that pellet! Oh... *Looks away*"

Me: "What?"

GF: "One of them is dead!"

Me: "Eh? (Seriously can't see it.) Maybe it's just a different color, they look funny right?"

GF: "No he's dead, see!" *Points at the DEAD center of tank behind Anubias plant.*

(Face Pressed against glass) Me: "I DON'T SEE IT! (Seriously I just didnt XD then finally I did.) Oh... Uh... yeah white means dead... so does pink apparently... eheh..."

Then day after day... nothing do do with age, they all just started perishing.

When there was just a few remaining... I removed them and did a complete sterilization of the tank... everything.

Cause? My only clue may be something from the 'Root Tablets' may have made them all sick. Few days later all but one died, a single male. And now he's fine.

The biggest thing (That you all care about) HOW IS DRAX?!!

He's fine yo! Cept my camera is still SD cardless... my parents say I can use theirs... but then they misplaced theirs haha. He still has the wonky eye but I'm giving up on it... he's happy as a lark, and the biggest pig.

Plants? Oddly enough since the Ghost Shrimp Die off's... almost immediately the only surviving Banana plant is growing a new leaf after months of being leaf-less. All the other plants are good. If I get pics soon... the Wysteria has FINALLY changed it's leaves to fully Aquatic (Kinda cool really).

But yes I'm still a Betta fan and somehow after all my little issues Drax is still happy and healthy! HOORAY FOR BEING LUCKY!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #2 
tsoto80

well I was wondering when you were going to crawl out from your rock! Nice to hear Drax is still ruling the roost!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
well I was wondering when you were going to crawl out from your rock! Nice to hear Drax is still ruling the roost!
*Clings to rock* But it's such a pretty rock! (Well I had alot of finals and then I sorta hibernated for a few weeks, now I'm refreshed again haha.

Plus after spending so long sterilizing the tank I want to maybe try more shrimp or... maybe get another fish. Like a few neons or tetras....... possibly platys. *Cries* I'm too laaaazy to do a decent substrate so I can't do the Cories
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 
tsoto80

I vote for platies! They are so bright and beautiful and adds color to any tank (not that your tank needs color) everytime I look at them I want to sing the Mickey Mouse song lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
I vote for platies! They are so bright and beautiful and adds color to any tank (not that your tank needs color) everytime I look at them I want to sing the Mickey Mouse song lol
*Strangles with fake Anacharis* HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE ME, AN ARTIST, DOES NOT HAVE COLOUR IN MY TANK! But I would like more red...

I'm just worried because Drax is VERY VERY territorial of the upper half of the tank.
When the shrimp would meander up to the top to scrabble around he would literally push them back down to the bottom level.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

DormDrax:

Well, howdy! :D

Obviously, the plants 'did in' the shrimp and the snails, to steal their souls to feed their roots!

Glad to hear that you, Drax and your girlfriend were not affected by the plants evil plot...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #7 
roypattonphoto

I knw what happened to the shrimp........ *points to drax* .. I caught my betta doing it... the one he didn't eat..seemed to have a violent death... was mising claw and torn almost in half... the way I figure it, ghost shrimp wanted a ride and well elvis just didn't want nothing o do with it and told him to get off one too many times and the ghost got the beat down... all in ron of my own eyes
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
DormDrax:

Well, howdy! :D

Obviously, the plants 'did in' the shrimp and the snails, to steal their souls to feed their roots!

Glad to hear that you, Drax and your girlfriend were not affected by the plants evil plot...
*Cleaning his laptop screen*
I should not have been reading that in MID-swallow of my wine...

... as for Roypattonphoto, you might be right. I mean I didn't count ALL of the shrimps bodies, really in all I only fished out... *Counting in his head* About 7 bodies out of the 14. And half of them were little ones so it................................................ .............................. *Having almost Law and Order like realization*

Come to think of it... the LAST surviving shrimp is doing nothing right now but hide under one of the conch shells (Alive thankfully). HE MUST KNOW THE TRUTH AND DRAX WANTS TO RUB HIM OUT! .............. That or... yeah the plants are sentient and are stealing the souls of the shrimp to become more powerful and soon take back what the shrimp had slowly nibbled away...

CRISS CROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~ I plan on going to the store tomorrow. I need more water... stuff (I can't think now). Would more shrimp be ok or ... too soon for such a WEIRD die off. I mean REALLY it happened all like in 4 days. Did Drax just have ENOUGH with them? (Can they like actually have that type of temper?).
I REALLY want to get ...... more fish (No substrate still... just those gems, and glass stones) so no Cory Catfish *Sniff*

I mean I KNOW Drax is probably happiest alone but, he... I dunno, even with a 10gal tank with all sorts of little caves and plants to play in... he just seems kinda... like his favorite thing is to chase things... Maybe a faster fish (Thats non violent, but he can't 'CATCH') would be cool. The store I like seems to have everything... (Petsmart) from sharks to snails...

Funny last note. I've gotten my parents SOOOO into Betta's now that mom can't even look at the Betta fish in the store without just getting completely depressed... (She realized one was dead once and I swore she was about to cry.) Poor mom, but good for Drax.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
I knw what happened to the shrimp........ *points to drax* .. I caught my betta doing it... the one he didn't eat..seemed to have a violent death... was mising claw and torn almost in half... the way I figure it, ghost shrimp wanted a ride and well elvis just didn't want nothing o do with it and told him to get off one too many times and the ghost got the beat down... all in ron of my own eyes
I almost choked laughing at the last line. Sorry but picturing a betta giving a ghost shrimp a beating is just a humorous image.

Also I agree with Roy-san. I think your shrimps got beaten to death by a betta...

Maybe instead get some neon tetra's? Those little guys swim really fast.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #10 
JKfish

hmmm, have you added anything to your tank recently? I'm pretty sure copper can kill snails and shrimps, so if anything has been introduced recently, that could be the issue. How are your tank parameters?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote