Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #1 
TheCrysCat

Finrot or Tailbiting?

Zekie - or rather, his tail - is at it again. I've put him in a hospital tank, because it would be easier to keep clean and observe him. I thought that he had finrot at first, but now I think it may be tailbiting. Here's a picture, so... if anyone can really tell, please?

TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Tailbiting. Usually fin rot has red that runs up from the bottom of the tail to the body and with a clear tail like that you can easily tell. But it's also possible he ripped it on something or just has brittle fins. If you can, add something like Stress Coat and turn up the temp a little in his water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #3 
TheCrysCat

Thanks. It looks kinda like there's a red line going along his upper tail, but could also just be pigment from the red parts of his fins.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Dont Raise the temp...it'll promote bacterial growth on the tail from his biting...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #5 
TheCrysCat

I have no way to, actually. It's too hot in my room to have heaters. It seems to hover between 76 and 82.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
derpmeister

It looks like tail biting to me. Each tail biter bites their tail a certain way (some can get in between the rays, others just chomp away at what they can reach), but I don't see any black edges on the fin. Fin rot usually looks more raggedy and frayed.

My betta used to be a terrible tail biter... shredded his tail almost weekly and I never found out why. I know he was a biter because I'd catch him in the act all the time. But he grew out of it and his tail looks much better now. He never got a secondary infection, even though he basically was vulnerable all the time.

Keep up with the water changes, use stress coat, and make sure your betta food is high in protein to help the fin regrow ASAP. I tried using AQ salt sometimes but I didn't see much of a difference with or without it. Pristine, warm water is the best for fin regrowth. :)
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #7 
TheCrysCat

Thanks :) Yeah, I noticed some little fish-mouth shaped nibbles, so that's probably it.