Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #11 
Neil D

Actually some people do put snails with Bettas in 2.5g tanks, but it all depends on the betta....
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #12 
TheCrysCat

That, and snails atually produce a ton of waste. Way more than they prevent by eating little bits of food and fish poopies. And you'll probably also have to get them algae wafers, because a single betta isn't going to produce enough waste for a snail to survive on. It's really not worth the trouble in such a small tank.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #13 
Neil D

You make a good argument. Plus I've never had a snail
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #14 
TheCrysCat

Oh, they're more work than people make them out to be. Not that much more, but certain snails won't even eat fish waste, and some will devour your plants.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #15 
JustKeepSwimming

Aw man...never will I impulse buy again. Or rather, take something for free.
But now that I have little Essie, what do I do? I don't really want to buy a new tank for a snail. Would he be happy with a small bowl, and algea wafers to feed him? But then there would be no waste for him to eat...
Well, my betta is showing zero interest in Essie. They basically ignore eachother. And I do a complete water change every week, with daily cupful changes. Will that be enough to keep the waste down?
JustKeepSwimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #16 
TheCrysCat

Probably not. You'd be best off pming a more expirienced member, because I'm not too sure with bioload. I'd say keep the snail in there for now, and get a 1 gallon jar or something for him later. And yeah, algae tablets for sure, or whatever things zebra snails eat. I'm assuming it's the same kinds of things that gold inca snails eat, but I'd research just to be sure.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #17 
baylee767

Hmm, snails in general are like you guys describe, but this is a zebra nerite snail. They're different. They are a lot cleaner than most other types. Pretty much the only thing they eat is algae. I don't think it's a good idea in a small uncycled tank because there is no natural food supply... but if you add algae wafers and fend off your Betta so he can eat, and if you have a PH of at least 7.6, and if you just step up water changes a little more (Maybe do them one to two days early, though not as messy, nerites are still snails) You should be fine. But that's just my two sense.

EDIT: Hmm, I think in a 2.5 tank with just a Betta you should be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change a week, and with the added nerite 2 50%, 1 100% a week.

Last edited by baylee767; 05-29-2011 at 02:32 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escargot, feeding, snail, supplements, zebra