Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 AM   #1 
Bettawolf19

Unhappy Floating on side. HELP!

I bought my dream betta tail(a halfmoon) tuesday and he was doing amazing when I first got him. Flaring responsive swimming around built me bubble nests every night. Today I was watching him and he's starting to float on his side..I fed him yesturday morning around 6am and haven't fed him today at all. He's in a divided 3 gal thats heated (not filtered) with a crowntail betta on the other side(Blackbird) temperory while the other tank gets set up (have to disinfect it and fix the seal on it). I just did a 100% water change now because of the high readings(ammonia near .25ppm I believe). Is there anyway to help him? I mean he doesn't seem bloated or anything I'm just wondering if perhaps its swim bladder and if it is can someone tell me how to treat him?...I don't want to lose him.

Here's some pictures also note on the second pic that the orange is from the camera:

Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #2 
Neil D

Try to PM oldfishlady. HMs are known to have swim bladder troubles. What are you feeding him?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and start Epsom salt 2tsp/gal 10 day treatment on him....

He needs to be QT in a small bare bottom container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp of 76-77F, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity above the water for the labyrinth organ

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water add the 2tsp/gal Epsom salt and tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf and use this treatment water for the 100% daily water changes in QT for the next 10-14 days......usually you will start to see improvement within 4-5 days if it is not genetic related or if it is due to environment or rearing at the fish farm-he may had been a faller.....been seeing that a lot lately......

How did you acclimate him when you first got him.......

Hold food for the first 3 days and if you have mosquito larva feed them or frozen....you may need to change brand of pellets....

Keep us posted
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 
orphansparrow

poor buddy! =(

OFL - what is a "faller"?
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #5 
turtle10

Hmm… it also looks to me as if he has pop eye… are his eyes bigger than normal at all?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Hmm… it also looks to me as if he has pop eye… are his eyes bigger than normal at all?
i can't tell completely, but they look like the size of my guy's eyes. he has eyes that sort of pop out a bit more than usual, but that's just what he looks like. maybe that is this guys case too?
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #7 
Bettawolf19

Thanks for your help. :) is it sad that I already had a jug of the treatment water? I made it when Blue came down with dropsy but never got to use it so its been seeping for a week or so so nice a dark water :). So far I've been feeding him Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits and once a week some frozen brine shrimp. I do have Aqua culture Betta food thats much much smaller then the Betta bits if you thnk that would help? And ate firsdt I thought the same thing turtle10 but after watching him for a while more his eyes don't stick out but more of the ridge above his eyes like our eye lids of sorts. The eye itself doesn't though :) so thats always good. Also when I first got him I easily accomindated him for over 2 hours with taking a bit of his old water out and adding the new water back in each time. I'll keep you guys posted :)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #8 
Bettawolf19

Today I was watching hima nd he's been swimming much better not tilts at all and is currently flaring at Blackbird from across the divider and his cup. I have not fed him as I was told. Its day two of treatment and so far so good :). Should I continue treatment for the whole 10 days?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #9 
Neil D

I would follow OFL's instructions.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #10 
betta dude

Wink

my betta does that too but i put epsom salt in his water i noticed that he had fungas hes doing better,i sudgest you get epsom salt from your local pharmacy put 2tsps of it in your tank and change 8-10 days until hes better
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating