Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #1 
ashleyy

white specs of growth

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I posted!!

Lately Herbie's tank has been getting white specs of growth on the bottom of his tank a few days after the water change. If I don't have an air line going in his tank the water will get a thick film on the top. I have 2 other bettas who are kept in the same conditions and they do not have this problem... here is some information..

Herbie's tank
-3 gallon critter keeper
-heater at 82 degrees
-no gravel
-silk plants, no live plants
-I let the gallons of water age at least 24 hrs before water changing
-One week I'll feed Hikari's betta bio gold pellets (3-4 a day) and the next week I'll feed New Life Spectrum betta formula (5-7 a day)
-No live foods
-API's tap water conditioner
-Water change once a week (I know I should change more...)
-His tank is in the sun room, he doesn't get direct sunlight, but the room itself gets a lot more sun than the room with the 2 other bettas.

No I do not have a picture of these white specs. but really, they literally are white specs of growth on the bottom of the tank that sometimes grows up the sides. No specs have been found on the fish itself.

Should I be worried about this? Herbie seems to be doing fine. I have in the past tried soaking everything in very hot water with vinegar. This didn't help. :[

Thank you!!
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 
turtle10

Not sure what those could be, a picture would really help.

All I have to say is you need to up the water changes. You need to do two 50% and one 100% every week. And I would stop feeding him the hikari. Going from New Life Spectrum to Hikari is like going from Filet Mignon to Fried Pork Skins lol. I would only feed the New Life Spectrum. Variation is good, but not when the variation is from healthy food to low quality food. Also, I would feed him less. 5-7 of the betta formula every day is quite a lot. Do like 3-5 a day.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

A picture would be good...It is hard to tell without a picture...I had a 3 gallon that got the same white thick film on the top...Now,when I feed him twice a day I use my clean finger to move along the top surface of the water to cause a slight movement.....(not enough to freak my betta out...He actually has fun chasing my finger ) It helps it from getting too stagnant.. I also change out 1.5 gallon of water every 2 days or so and do a 100% once a week. I use the cup method..That way I just remove the surface of the water when I am doing partial water changes...So far I haven't noticed the thick film so much anymore...I noticed though when It used to get thick looking at the top sometimes white flecks would fall to the bottom if I disturbing the water surface at all...Do they look like "flakes" or are they cottony growths that are actually attached ?
I would also feed a little less. 4 pellets a day and make sure you betta eats the pellets or remove them..It could be food sinking and going bad in the tank...

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 05-29-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

The thick film is protein scum. You can usually prevent it by using a filter or bubbler... I don't know about the white stuff unless it is just a forgotten pellet going bad at the bottom of the tank. Uneaten pellets often get surrounded by white bacterial growth. Make sure you remove uneaten food. As mentioned, up the water changes and stop feeding the Hikari, it isn't great stuff.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #5 
ashleyy

Oh wow! I had no idea that Hikari wasn't good stuff! I like that New life spectrum has more protein, but it does have a lot more vegetables and stuff, which I've isn't good.

I will try to up the water changes. I just got a job, which was totally unexpected. I used to water change every 4 days before this dern job. haha.

Maybe it is tiny pieces of food, but I don't know because there must be over 100 tiny little specs on the bottom.

I was thinking this is happening to only his tank because he gets more sun than the others? Its really gross. Poor guy.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote