Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Exclamation Help!!

My fish (my teacher's fish) Moby is in desperate need of attention!

He has been very slow and inactive for the past few days, and today I did a 100% water change. I added 2 new "homes" (places for him to hide) today because he is very skitish. I also took out his filter because I found his fin ripped, and I assumed it was caused by it. At first, he enjoyed the new surroundings, but a few hours later he was lying down on the bottom of his tank, not moving. I thought he could be sleeping, but he had difficulty swimming up for his infrequent air gulps. I was worried there was something in the water so until I can preform another water change I grabbed some healthy water from another tank, and put Moby in a cup of it. It hasn't helped. He is breathing heavily and is just lying there. Could it be poisoning? How, though when I took the water from a healthy fish's tank and he STILL has not gotten any better?? PLEASE HELP!

~78 degrees
~100% water change today
~2 new "homes" today and took out the filter
~very inactive for a few days, but got a lot worse this after noon
~fed 3 pellets for breakfast, skipped dinner (I was not sure if it would make him worse or not)
~regular use of water conditioner, hikari pellets

I am afraid he might die!!

ps. should I put aquarium salt in his water? I have some, but not epsom salt
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Fawnleaf,

You say he's your teacher's fish? Are you using a different water source than Moby is used to?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
turtle10

Could you please fill out the sticky in the diseases page? It would really help us figure out the problem.

Also, what was the water change schedule before you did the 100%?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 
Fawnleaf

Housing
What size is your tank?
3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? It did, but I took it out yesterday (the day Moby got sick)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 a day, 3 pellets (huge fish)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
once a week 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
ripped fins (I doubt this is part of the issue, though)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? fatigued, heavy breathing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago, worsened yesterday after water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I took a cup of water from a tank with a healthy fish, and placed him in it in case he was being poisoned by the water. The water from the healthy fish's tank is SUPPOSED to be the same I used in Moby's tank)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? gets bloated often, can be some what inactive
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years

Moby is my teacher's fish who went on maternity leave a few months ago. So I asked if I could keep him and she said yes. He was living in a small bowl with no heater, and a water change once every 2 or so weeks. He had hardly enough water to swim in. So his surroundings have changed a lot in the past few months but he was fine for a really long time up until this (with occasional bloating). I don't see how life in the bowl could be effecting him now after all this time, but I thought I had better tell you anyways.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #5 
Neil D

Is he a king betta? 4-5 inches, very large, usually smaller fins? Any live plants? People say Hikari is no longer a good food due to changes in the formula.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
Housing
What size is your tank?
3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? It did, but I took it out yesterday (the day Moby got sick)
Since you took out the filter you need to do two 50% and one 100% water change every week now on a 3 gallon.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Betta Pellets
I would switch to another brand, Hikari isn't good.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 a day, 3 pellets (huge fish)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
once a week 100%
If you had any cycle in the filter, this would have killed it or de-stabilized it, which would have exposed your fish to ammonia, nitrites, and more nitrates possibly. The un-stable water conditions mixed with too-little water changes probably contributed to his illness.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
I would do two 50% and one 100% a week with no filter. With filter do two 50% a week, and if you develop a cycle in the filter you can cut it to one 50% every week. Remember never change out the filter cartridge.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
ripped fins (I doubt this is part of the issue, though)
He could be tail-biting due to his stress and illness.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? fatigued, heavy breathing
This sounds like he is ill from lack of water quality.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago, worsened yesterday after water change
Do you acclimate him back to the fresh water after each water change? And make sure the temp is the same?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I took a cup of water from a tank with a healthy fish, and placed him in it in case he was being poisoned by the water. The water from the healthy fish's tank is SUPPOSED to be the same I used in Moby's tank)
I wouldn't do this again. Though it is a healthy fish, it still has all sorts of things in the tank that could hurt your sick betta since his immune system is probably already compromised. Even when all fish are healthy, it is not recommended to mix the water, or share things like nets and siphons with out a rinse in between tanks. Also, the healthy fish's water is not fresh. It probably has ammonia and other chemicals in it, as well as dissolved organics like poop and pee.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? gets bloated often, can be some what inactive
This could be due to the Hikari, it has cpeao ingredients that are low quality.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years

Moby is my teacher's fish who went on maternity leave a few months ago. So I asked if I could keep him and she said yes. He was living in a small bowl with no heater, and a water change once every 2 or so weeks. He had hardly enough water to swim in. So his surroundings have changed a lot in the past few months but he was fine for a really long time up until this (with occasional bloating). I don't see how life in the bowl could be effecting him now after all this time, but I thought I had better tell you anyways.

His time in the bowl could have damaged him too much, and the shock of new surroundings and cleaner water could have just been too much for him. His organs would have been working very hard to keep him alive in such terrible surroundings that he was in before, he just might not have much strength right now.

I would start upping the water changes, get a liquid test kit to measure the nitrogen cycle if you use the filter again, and for the next ten days give him an aquarium salt treatment.

For ten days, keep him at temps around 80-82 degrees, do 100% water changes every day (make sure to adjust him to the new water and temp), while using one TEAspoon of aquarium salt per gallon for each water change. Getting him a new food will also do wonders for him. It will give him better nutrients and minerals and well as strengthen him up.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 
Fawnleaf

Hikari pellets are bad now? Wow! What other pellets are better?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #8 
Neil D

I feed TetraColor pellets and my guy likes em!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
Hikari pellets are bad now? Wow! What other pellets are better?
Yes they contain a lot of wheat and low quality fish products.