Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #11 
laughing
Member
 
laughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Just because I am stating facts does not mean I am acting stuck up.

I have read you are planning on leaving said dog outside? Then why get a dog? And again, NO SUCH THING AS PUREBRED PIT BULL! It just does not exist. American Pit Bull Terriers are sometimes found, but they are not anywhere near common. American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are even less common but you can find Staffordshire Terriers.

And a "rough list" is not leash and collar.

You obviously think you know everything. You don't. Professional dog trainers still take their dogs to training classes. You probably don't even know why do you?

A vibrating collar takes a lot of training. It is harder to train a deaf dog. Plain and simple. It is harder to keep their focus, harder to correct, harder to give commands. Of course you need a different approach.

Yes, I do know a lot, but i am not arrogant, stuck up, or in any way a belittling person. I am, instead, a person who is sick of people grabbing up 'purebred' dogs and throwing them in backyards because they dont want their carpets dirty or want a 'guard dog'. I am sick of people who do not give proper medical treatment. I am even more sick of buyers or 'adopters' in your case of 'purebred' animals that don't even exist funding the irresponsible breeders to prudcuce bad genetics where the dog suffers.

Maybe you feel attacked because I had valid points you weren't prepared for.

Last edited by laughing; 05-29-2011 at 08:54 PM.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #12 
tsoto80
Member
 
tsoto80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
What is wrong with getting a purebred dog? When I got my purebred and posted my happiness on here people acted as if I commited some huge crime cause there are "dogs in shelters". How is it any different than people only wanting to buy bettas off from AquaBid and not in local pet stores? In my opinion it is the same thing.... sorry to interrupt your fued you both should calm down before it gets nasty
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #13 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
My dog is an outside dog because we already have an inside dog at present, when my bfs dad whos house i live at, decides the time has come that dog will be out side as well.

Buying a dog is a persons own choice on breed and where they get it. I opted to buy a dog.

Kobi is not pure bred bull terrier i said nothing about a pit bull

I have a pure bred poodle that lives at my dads hes an inside dog. I dont have the option of having him here.

Kobi is now in a happier place then where i bought him from, I am glad i got him because i KNOW i can give him a better life.
Hes malnourished and is very runty. i mean his teeth look like they only just have come through (the top and bottom incisors, his canine teeth are through), his mother still has the nursing look about her, meaning it looked as if she hadnt fully weaned him. I was told he was 14 weeks old on the phone, at the place they told me 13 weeks, then i added the dates up to him only being 12 weeks today (they told me he was born 7th of march 2011)

Here he will get the attention he needs, baths (it smelt like he hadnt been GIVEN a bath yet) walks, toys, VET CARE and everything else i havent mentioned that he could need.
especially love and care.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #14 
kathstew
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
My family took our border collie to pet classes, if anything, it just did more damage to him.
Neither our boxer/lab mix, or our beagle/daschund mix were taken to puppy classes, and they are both very well-behaved. They are both socialised (at doggy parks, as well as playing with friends' dogs). My boxer/lab is my guardian. He ISN'T trained to do this, yet he does: as I need hip surgery, he follows me around the house, and carries things for me in a backpack(!), and helps me up by allowing me to lean against him.
Yes, there are many dogs in Shelters, but there are many dogs on their way there if they aren't adopted. Abby said that she was "saving" Kobi from the place he used to live in. If she hadn't Kobi would most likely have had ended up sick, dying or in a shelter. She has already mentioned that she has owned many other animals before, and through conversations with her, I KNOW she has taken good care of them. You question her ability to euthanize a pet if needed, if she knows when a vet needs to be seen. Yes she does have that ability if its needed, and she does know when a vet needs to be seen. I don't think you should be jumping to conclusions about someone you don't even know.
I also believe Abby lives in Australia. I think a dog would be able to live outside very well in Australia, as long as it is provided with food, water and shade.
As well, I know that there are many shelter dogs that need rescuing, but they need to be rescued by appropriate families. When my family first looked into getting a dog, we looked at our local shelters FIRST, but as we have young children in our family, none of the dogs were suitable, they all came from abusive families and were labeled as `unsuitable for families with young children`. Given the chance, yes, we would have adopted a shelter dog in a heartbeat.
I understand that laughing is sick of bad pet owners, but you can`t jump to the conclusion that everybody is a bad owner. Abby has already stated that she can and will provide everything that dog needs. And so what about her list, it was just a quick list, if she had been expecting someone to jump down her throat, she probably would have written a well-detailed, full list of EVERYTHING the PERFECT owner would EVER need.


Edit: I also find it hypocritical that you were jumping down her throat about adopting a DEAF dog. A deaf dog needs a home as much as any dog. Every dog in a shelter is damaged in some way, how is there a difference with a DEAF DOG. If someone doesn`t adopt that dog, just because its deaf, it will end up in a shelter, and be excatly in the position all those other dogs your yelling about are in.

Last edited by kathstew; 05-30-2011 at 08:22 AM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #15 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
Thank you Kath :)

Stormy the deaf dog needed a new home because his owners both were working full time with kids

Kobi will prob be an inside dog now as his first night outside didnt go too well my partner and i think we may have been misled with the previous owners information.
Mind you one of the other out side dogs took full advantage of the kennels new blankets and decided to curl up in there rather then on his bed under the house.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #16 
laughing
Member
 
laughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Read before you speak, you are NOT understanding my point.

I did not claim she was terrible, or she shouldn't get a dog, or she is stupid, dumb, an idiot, blah blah blah. I never said you are incompetent of caring for a dog or you do not know what you're doing. I said in the last post I am sick of people who aren't, and that is why I made those posts previously. Not to jump down your throat, but to INFORM, to prevent more mistakes.

It seems all of you cannot read, you just think, "OMG!!!" and freak out. If you would actually take what I said with a grain of salt and consider my point of view we would not be in this situation.

As I said in my previous posts buying purebred dogs from reputable breeders is not bad. My point was, buying a "pit bull"/"staffy"/"bulldog" is ridiculous. That's what shelters are for! Adopting mixes, and those without purity in the breed anymore.

I even said I am purchasing my next Great Dane from a reputable, creditable, show breeder. There is not a problem with this. You purchase when you are looking for something specific. If you want a Border Collie with extreme herding background that has a straight mind, you go to a breeder. If you want a Brittany with specific brown/white coloring for pointing, you go to a breeder. If you want a Labrador Retriever of an English line to take on hunting trips, you go to a breeder. See my point?

You do not go to a "breeder" for a "breed" that DOES NOT EXIST! Purchasing from backyard breeders is pointless, it is just giving them an excuse to "accidentily" breed (THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS IN BREEDING!) and allows them to continue on. Yes, that dog would've gone to a shelter and probably would have been euthanized, good! The owner would've had to pay to send the dog to the shelter, rather than get money getting rid of the dog. The owner would learn their lesson.

Not every dog can be saved, but we can take measures to ensure stupid a** people won't continue what they're doing.

A deaf puppy is a genetic trait. Not a "poor baby!" kind of thing. A "poor baby" situation is when the dog was beaten across the head and blew out eardrums. "Poor baby!" is when the dog was deafened by soemthing. Not because someone was so irresponsible they couldn't even stop a puppy like that from being born.

Whoever you went to must've SUCKED. Dog training places are for betterment of the dog, so wherever you went they obviously weren't professional. I took simple classes with my Dane, I didn't listen much to the trainer, but I had support from other owners, we went to lunch together with our dogs at restaurants, it provided my dog with doggie friends, and gave great socialization. Dog parks are bad news 85% of the time. So many dogs there are so misbehaved that they will tear your dog up, give your dog STDs, etc. It's a terrible place unless you know who is around you and their dogs.

So next time you jump down MY throat because of jumping to conclusions about why I was posting and why I was saying legitament things, consider a different point of view.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #17 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
just because someone isnt a licensed breeder doesnt mean they shouldnt be alowed to breed.

Maybe i didnt WANT a shelter dog, maybe i WANTED this dog that is my choice.

Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #18 
kathstew
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Read before you speak, you are NOT understanding my point

It seems all of you cannot read, you just think, "OMG!!!" and freak out. If you would actually take what I said with a grain of salt and consider my point of view we would not be in this situation..
LOL. You realize what you just said right?
We have two different opinions, and NEITHER is right or wrong. We are merely stating opinions. What you just said could go either way, if you consider OUR point of view, we wouldn't be in this situation and vice versa. I agree you have valid points, but I do not agree with everything you say, and that was all I was pointing out. I believe Abby has proved to be a good petowner, and she seems to have been thinking things through before she got the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Not every dog can be saved, but we can take measures to ensure stupid a** people won't continue what they're doing..
I agree, there are many stupid a** people who breed for no reason, other than to get money, and that measures should be taken to ensure they won't continue what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
A deaf puppy is a genetic trait. Not a "poor baby!" kind of thing. A "poor baby" situation is when the dog was beaten across the head and blew out eardrums. "Poor baby!" is when the dog was deafened by soemthing. Not because someone was so irresponsible they couldn't even stop a puppy like that from being born..
Yes, a deaf puppy is genetic, and no, you shouldn't breed one. But I doubt that because a dog has the chance of passing on deaf genes, means its pups are guarenteed to be deaf. There are risks, as with all types of breeding; its when you selectively breed to minimize these risks that it turns out the best, but those risks ARE STILL THERE.

As well, she mentions that the deaf dog was a Pure Bred Blue Heeler (Australian Cattledog). Blue heelers have a relatively high prevalence, so even through selctive Blue Heeler breeding, chances are higher of deaf puppies being born.

Honestly, I would rather a deaf dog than an abused, dangerous dog. Many dogs at shelters (not ALL, I know that) have been abused, are vicious, and dangerous. So yes, if I had to choose I would choose the deaf dog. The shelters in my area specialize in these abused dogs who must be placed in "special" homes where they aren't as likely to "snap" (childless, cat-less homes etc). So yes, I would pay more to buy a puppy I can raise myself from a "backyard breeder", if A) I wasn't breeding, showing or the like and B) I had checked out completelly the breeder. I would rather deal with my dog having medical issues than a vicious dog that is a danger to those around it. And yes, many dogs can be trained to lose this behaviour, but just many can't. If you wanted to breed a dog, (just like if you were breeding bettas) you'd want to buy from a reputable breeder.


I do agree that Abby breeding a "Pit Bull" shouldn't be done. I truly agree that breeding Pit Bulls are a waste of time and energy seeing, as they aren't true breeds. As a plain old pet, I believe that purchasing a dog from wherever is that persons choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
So next time you jump down MY throat because of jumping to conclusions about why I was posting and why I was saying legitament things, consider a different point of view.
I am sorry that I came across as jumping down your throat, but I consider Abby a good friend on here, and I didn't like the way you WERE jumping down her throat,
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I think it's a stupid, ignorant, careless idea.
As for my dogs, I agree that the place sucked. The dogs there were mean, and vicious. As for professional trainers, they cost a lot of money. Money that could be spent in other areas of the dogs life. My dogs are very socialized and very trained WITHOUT dog classes. You said yourself you barely listen to the trainers, you mainly go there to socialize yours dogs. I would rather my dogs play with my neighbors dog in the large field behind our houses, than pay hundreds of dollars to go to an average sized place and NOT listen to their instructions, while my dog gets socialized with dogs I don't really WANT to know. I'm sixteen, do you know how I trained my dogs? With a BOOK I got out of the LIBRARY. When I got my newest dog Frank, he wasn't housetrained, I trained him in THREE days, took him about four days to learn to sit, and a few days to learn his name. I believe you don't need to pay ridiculous amounts to train a dog. You just some basic knowledge, time, and the ability to socialize your dog in a friendly environment. As well, we only went to dog parks when we got Houston, and didn't know our neighbors. Once he was socialized enough we stopped going. In my opinion, it depends on the dog park, but I agree they are really going downhill.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #19 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
the whole idea on keeping the first animal i was looking at entire was a staffordshire bull terrier with blue lines, the blue heeler (deaf one) was deaf, he was born deaf and taken to the vet to be killed when the owner saved him, recently shes gone back to work, her partner works as well and she wanted someone who could devote a little more time to the dog.

Kobi is not old enough to BE desexed yet and he WILL be desexed when he is 6 months old. He is also nationally registered with his microchip and will be also registered with my council when hes desexed.

ONLY one of the many dogs ive had went to puppy classes and that was the poodle i have at the farm, he was taken to obedience school. The farm is in the middle of no where so not really an option on classes.
Plus i never had any trouble training from books and my dogs were never a problem.
all were protective of the property to people entering they didnt know, if one of us was in danger we could always rely on the dogs. EG:
Bonnie (Rottweiler X Timber wolf) her father was kicked out of my state because he was so dangerous. Bonnie will protect us, but would not just hurt someone for no reason. i can leave my 3 yr old niece with her and not worry.
the poodle? he barks at anyone entering the bedroom if im asleep
the bordercollie X blue heeler use to walk me to the bus stop and wait till i got on the bus when i was 10, he would also come and wait for me to get off the bus and walk home with me.
the doberman, she ever once let anyone into the house after dark unless they were invited in. My dad and his mate who knew the dog from birth and was always at our house, once tried to come in the front door at about 1 am after fishing. even though it was my DAD Oatis didnt let them in until my mother woke up and let them in.

Now each and every dog i have mentioned plus MANY other dogs we have had, never ONCE harmed any of us. and only ONE went to obedience school

yet we trained them with and without books. most of its common knowledge. its not that hard. if you think its hard then maybe dog training just isnt for you.

AND i have shown Belgium shepards and short hair pointers quite well. I placed 3rd in my FIRST ever no training show. i turned up to help groom and was handed a lead and told "take him into this class" i had never been to a dog show in my life, and the judge stopped me when we were leaving the ring and asked me how long i had been showing i told him about 20 minutes he told me had i not crossed his line of view to the dog i would have gotten first.

I have also shown a thoroughbred X standardbred gelding once (i dont like showing it takes the fun out of the sport) and we came home with 9 ribbons.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 AM   #20 
laughing
Member
 
laughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Seriously, are you even reading my posts?

I did not say training was difficult. I am a dog trainer, I have never had a problem training any dog, it is very easy and comes natural to me. It isn't rocket science.

Dog obedience classes are for making friends, socialization, relieving boredom, etc.

I am talking about being good with all ethnicities of people, being good with machinery, loud noises, and learning the ability to calm themselves. I am talking about being dog friendly towards all dogs (which yours obviously aren't from other posts) and more.

My girl was trained beautifully. Came on a dime even with distractions, sat and stayed in the middle of busy pet stores minus the leash and me out of view, got along with every single dog, knew over 50 commands, etc. She was trained for her CG_ and to be a therapy dog. So no, I don't have trouble with this. And yes, the socialization and consistency of going to class with the distractions helped her become that.

THAT'S what I am saying.

Last edited by laughing; 05-31-2011 at 02:00 AM.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.