Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Settling In Question

I have had my new gal for 24 hours and she's still extremely timid and a bit clamped. Now, just for info, the following happened to my poor girl since she arrived at her new home:
* The tank she was supposed to go in malfunctioned and she was moved back into the cup she came in overnight
* The fabric plant in the cup with her leaked dye overnight so she had to be moved to a different cup (the one my male had come in)
* While her cup was on my desk, my cat thought he'd bat it around a little - no harm done but I'm sure it stressed her
* Finally got a tank set up for her and she was moved to that around 6 in the evening

Sooooo, bearing all that in mind, how long do you think before she unclamps and will eat? I think she may have taken some food in the cup but I've tried feeding her several times since and she's utterly disinterested in pellets and flakes (and I don't have any garlic). I feel awful. I bought her because she was all clamped up at the petstore and I wanted to give her a good home and look at all the things that happened to her! Maybe I'll change her name to Calamity Jane, poor girl.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Morning Update: She's starting to unclamp and has eaten two small bloodworm segments but so far, she's just taking it easy and not swimming too much. She does dart away when I remove the cover. I know you can feed them peas; can you feed them banana? I have a banana but no canned peas.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 
Echo

peas are more for constipation, i've heard. bloodworms are a nice treat, especially the frozen kind. if anything will get her out of her funk, frozen bloodworms should do the trick. i'd give her a couple of days and she'll be bumping her little nose against the side of the tank in anticipation of your arrival
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Morning Update: She's starting to unclamp and has eaten two small bloodworm segments but so far, she's just taking it easy and not swimming too much. She does dart away when I remove the cover. I know you can feed them peas; can you feed them banana? I have a banana but no canned peas.

Never feed peas, even for constipation and definitely don't feed banana. Be careful for freeze dried foods, they can cause more harm then good, especially if that's all she's eating. Give her some more time, she could go a week with out food (some even 2 weeks, but that's rare), especially after all the stresses. If you're really worried and rather not wait, maybe frozen foods might be more tempting (bloodworms, mysis shrimp, brine, daphnia -variety is good). Good luck with your little girl! Clean/warm water, consistency and time will surely help her. :)
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Okay, thanks for the advice. I realize it'll probably take a little longer for her to settle in after all the extra trauma she went through. I have to go to the petstore later anyway, I'll pick up some frozen foods as well.

By the way, does anyone know if females are typically more shy and timid than males? Even before the extra trauma began, she was extremely timid and hid in her plants. In contrast, my guy was cruising along in his new digs within ten minutes of moving in and begging for food in an hour. Both came from the same Petco, too.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 
Tisia

my girl is ultra fiesty, think it can vary some though, same as with the males
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote