Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #1 
elsilerjr

female betta question

Would i be able to keep 2 female betta's in a 5 gallon Hawkeye? and maybe 1 or 2 ghost shrimp? I have a nice cave, and have room for more and i have live plants.
elsilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #2 
JKfish

If you do females, you'll want at least 4 in a 10 gallon, but it can be tricky because sometimes they can be agressive. I'd go with one female and some ghosts.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
mwc

it can be done but like she said ^^^ it c an be tricky
mwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
elsilerjr

oh ok. I currently have a male in the tank, but i plan to get 2 ghost shrimps with him, i was curious what do they eat? because i feed my beta the pellets and blood worms and he always eats all the food, so what is it that the shrimp will get to eat? because google says they eat what the betta wont, but mine always eats it all
elsilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #5 
JKfish

Well, they are mainly carnivorous... Here is what I did when I had ghosts. I would soak a few extra pellets and pinch them so that when I'd put them in, they'd sink to the bottom. Then, I'd distract my betta with food while I dropped several pellets to the bottom of the tank in the rear left corner, where several plants were. The ghosts knew that's where it'd be, because I did that every day, so they always got there before my betta realized there was extra food in the tank. If your betta is the typical little piggie, you might even want to remove him into a tubberware of tank water for feeding if it isn't too stressful for him.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Be forwarned!

1) Shrimp are very tasty (Bettas eat them).

2) Ghost shrimp need a lot more territory than 2.5 gallons... in a small tank, they predate on each other. You might start with one, and see how it goes...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 
JKfish

HereFishyFishyFishy is right for the most part, they can be nasty, so I'd definately follow what he said. However that's not always the case... I know when petsmart gets ghosties, they pack them all into one or two small tanks. If there are a lot of them all together and you buy a group, they can be pretty mellow towards each other in the tank.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

I agree, ghost shrimp are carnivores. I had bought two ghost shrimp for my fry tank and about two or three days later, i found that on was missing and it wasn't dead, it wasn't even in the tank. The bigger one ate the other. Also this is crazy because in the store they were together and perfectly fine.

Anyway, my suggestion is to make sure that you keep a close eye on both of them.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

BettaLover2033,

When I bought my ghost shrimp they were all in a ten gallon tank together, milling around the bottom of the tank. When the net went in, all their little antennas went up in unison... that was amazingly awesome!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #10 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
BettaLover2033,

When I bought my ghost shrimp they were all in a ten gallon tank together, milling around the bottom of the tank. When the net went in, all their little antennas went up in unison... that was amazingly awesome!
reading that just made me think of Toy Story with the little aliens in the claw machine, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote