Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #1 
Wyvern

Some advice on these plants please

I am considering getting some if not all of these to create a more planted tank whilst I find homes for the goldies. My brother would love to use these plants as well in his tropical tank. Any advice on keeping them besides the obvious - any tips and trick are welcome - I have a black thumb when it comes to normal plants - found I can keep aquatic plants alive!
These ones I chose since they need low care. I just have the 10g Jebo that I want to make a planted tank with as much in it as possible since I want to make it a betta sorority tank with some betta females.
I still want to be able to add some terracotta pots as well as driftwood so that the girls will have plenty of hiding places.

Ceratophyllum demersum 'Foxtail'
- do they shed leaves like the hornwort does? (I found my hornwort shedded needles like mad - removed it in the end)
Limnophila sessiliflora
Echinodorus bleheri (bleherae)
- Amazon swords have it
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae
Ceratopteris thalictroides - watersprite
Bacopa australis
Eleocharis parvula (Dwarf hairgrass)
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'
ChainSword - Narrow Leaf (Echinodorus tenellus)
Staurogyne repens
Vallisneria americana var. asiatica corkscrew
Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)

As well as moss, I have Java moss but would like a variety.

Now I have to wait patiently to see if anyone in my country can help me get these :P Ive already posted a wanted add on our tropical forums.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I am considering getting some if not all of these to create a more planted tank whilst I find homes for the goldies. My brother would love to use these plants as well in his tropical tank. Any advice on keeping them besides the obvious - any tips and trick are welcome - I have a black thumb when it comes to normal plants - found I can keep aquatic plants alive!
These ones I chose since they need low care. I just have the 10g Jebo that I want to make a planted tank with as much in it as possible since I want to make it a betta sorority tank with some betta females.
I still want to be able to add some terracotta pots as well as driftwood so that the girls will have plenty of hiding places.

Ceratophyllum demersum 'Foxtail'
- do they shed leaves like the hornwort does? (I found my hornwort shedded needles like mad - removed it in the end)

It may. Before you add it in, see how it acts (if you have it)...Id say it might. Theyre all so temperamental. They throw a fit when they dont like something about the tank, and drop the nettles. Hah! I think, though Im not 100%, that this IS hornwort...

Limnophila sessiliflora

This plant, I think, is very similar to cabomba...Which also is know to throw hissy fits, but this one melts. They like 77'F and under, which is a little hard to keep considering bettas like a minimum of 76'F.

Echinodorus bleheri (bleherae)
- Amazon swords have it

I like these, I have two young ones. The one thing they really, really need is a DEEP substrate. Their roots are long and many, so they need about 3 inches, minimum. They need a good fertilizer, too.

Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae

All I know about this one is it needs high light and fertilizer, but other than that, I got nothin!

Ceratopteris thalictroides - watersprite

Water sprite is noice! Its an ammonia eating champ. The one thing about it, though, is that its sensitive. Ph changes, water temp changes, parameter changes, etc that are sudden will hurt/kill it. Ive heard its hard to keep in any other way than floating, and when it is, it likes lower light (which is not compatible with some of the other plants)

Bacopa australis
Eleocharis parvula (Dwarf hairgrass)
(not sure/experienced with these two ^)

Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'
Java ferrrnnn! :D I love my ferns. Theyre fairly easy, but of course, make sure the rhizome isnt buried, or it will rot. Theyre not a fan of too bright light, and like to be in the canopy of other plants/shaded. Tether them to something like your terracotta pots or driftwood and theyll be happy.

ChainSword - Narrow Leaf (Echinodorus tenellus)
All I really know about these guys is they like a fine soil (maybe sand/sandy?) and light, lots.

Staurogyne repens
Vallisneria americana var. asiatica corkscrew
These guys cant have their "crown" buried, where the roots meet the plant, or itll die. If it starts to rot anywhere, remove that part so it wont spread.

Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)

As well as moss, I have Java moss but would like a variety.

Try christmas moss :)

Now I have to wait patiently to see if anyone in my country can help me get these :P Ive already posted a wanted add on our tropical forums.
Im sure you know, but most of these plants will need a good bit of florescent lighting as well as good fertilization. Also, a tsp of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt, unscented) every few weeks is a nice booster for them.

:B Pics when you get them, good luck on the search.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 
HestonFan23

I am new to aquatic plants too. I would recommend money wort. It does not need huge amounts of light and is easy to maintain. My Betta loves it.
HestonFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote