Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #1 
copperarabian

*pics* Just rescued a wallmart fish who isn't a betta

I finally decided to go to wall mart and see the bettas, they were pretty sad but a new shipment must of come in recently because they didn't look horribly sick yet. Anyway while looking at the over stocked tiny gallon aquariums I noticed 3 long silvery fish sitting in the corner of the guppy tank, the biggest looking to be about 6 inches. My heart went out to these fish who were labelled as Dragon fish and I bought the largest who looked extra cramped.

After researching some and finding out he is a Violet/Dragon Goby who is not aggressive, has poor eye sight and often feeds at night I decided to place him in my 15g with my king until I have a bigger place for him.They do best in brackish water, but since he had been in a freshwater wall mart aquarium I'm not too worried about that at the moment since they can live in fresh and salt water. They are also prone to fin rot and body rot. I can't wait until I can give him his own home with the best kind of water conditions for him.

I felt bad for the poor Goby, but it was so funny to watch the Wallmart employee trying to catch him(With a net that was way to small)
She had never needed to catch one before and they can jump, the poor fish had jumped into 3 different aquariums before she finally had him in the net. I offered to catch him for her, but she said it was fine. She was actually a really nice foreign lady, but she new nothing about fish.

I wish I could place him in my 48g, but my cichlid hates the pleco who had been in there because it had liked being on the bottom, and the goby's super soft none scaled skin would be injured easily

Last edited by copperarabian; 06-02-2011 at 08:33 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #2 
russalka

Wow. How big does he get to be?

BTW - Perhaps you should name your HM King Elessar?
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #3 
copperarabian

The wild dragon goby's can be up to 24 inches, but all the sites I've been reading say they grow to 15 in captivity.

I don't really like the name Elessar, but I kinda like Estel, maybe I'll name my king that XD

And I'm really loving this new fish, he's very interesting. I need to find a good name for him.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

He's so cute, in a wierd way. lol Update us on how he settles in in the next few days. :)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #5 
naturegirl243

Woah! He is so cool and cute, I hope it works out well with him!
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #6 
LittleNibbles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
the poor fish had jumped into 3 different aquariums before she finally had him in the net.
I lol'd.

He's cute! I've seen little guys similar to him at Wal-marts before...but...they had teeth. Don't know if they were the same thing.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #7 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNibbles93 View Post

He's cute! I've seen little guys similar to him at Wal-marts before...but...they had teeth. Don't know if they were the same thing.
He has some crazy looking little teeth that made me research quickly before letting him go in the 15g with my Betta. Apparently the teeth are designed to scrape algae off of rocks. and also, although they have large mouths their throats are actually very small.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #8 
copperarabian

Also a little update, exept for the first 5 minutes when my betta was like "OMG what is that" he is now ignored completely, and I plan to go buy some sand to put over half the gravel tomorrow for him since I expect him to be living there for a few months.

Anyone ever have one of these guys living with their bettas before? I expect mine to be there for a few months before he is moved.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #9 
RayneForhest

wow... My heart skipped a beat when I saw him... I'm tickled to death you can have him with your betta.

let us know how things continue to work out.
That's one beautiful fish!!!
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

He's lovely. Kudo's for saving him! I hope he continues to play nice with your King.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote