Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 
JoLynn

Question Divider?

I'm going to buy some 5 gallon tanks soon and to hold all of my bettas until my next pay check, I want to divide them. I can't seem to find any dividers for anything less than a 35 gallon tank, so any tips on where I could find them or even how could I make them?
JoLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

http://bettatude.com/Dividers/divider.html

You will probably need to cut the canvas and spines to fit your tank, and might have to tack it with aquarium sealant at each corner of the divider. I had to glue my store bought divider in place because it came with metal clips which made it so my hood wouldn't sit on my tank.

I am sure there is one on this site somewhere too. I tried to make a post gathering information like this so people could use the info on a variety of DIY fish things. I just found this one. I will add this site to that post too. TY for asking about it. :)

The above link has good pics it's just plastic needlepoint canvas and report spines, they come with those clear plastic sheets you slip paper into. You can find the needlepoint canvas at craft/hobby stores.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 06-01-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: clarify
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #3 
Burd

Petsmart typically has 10 and 20 gallon dividers in stock on their shelves. I've never seen one for a 5 gallon but Twilight's link looks to be just the answer you need. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 
kathstew

Before I knew about home-made dividers, I bought one for a 10 gallon tank, and just cut it to size. You pretty much have to do cut it down to size, no matter what you do.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #5 
JoLynn

That site was perfect! Thank you all for the feedback ^___^
Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

I almost scored some really nice perspex shelving from a local business. I saw it sitting off to the side in a pile and I asked if they were throwing it away. Unfortunately they weren't, but he did say they put large piece of it in the dumpster sometime this week and I could have a look if it was still there.... I FORGOT! I'll check tomorrow.

This perspex (plexiglass stuff) shelving had long slits in it, about 5 inches long and less than 1/4 inch wide. It would have been perfect for a divider if I had a way to cut it to size easily.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #7 
Wyvern

I did the mesh divider but since we dont get the needlepoint canvas I had to make do with plastic plant mesh. The holes are a bit bigger but they can just about put their noses thru then it stops them. Ive put Java Moss on mine so that it will create a natural barrier. Some people use two pieces of mesh with the moss in between it as well. Just make sure to cut it a tiny bit bigger than your tank, that way it will curve a little (not so straight) but I found with the extra mesh in it holds it in place.

http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/sh...hlight=divider

That is where I got my idea from.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #8 
JoLynn

Tags
5 gallon, dividers