Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Bella Update

*I need a drink*

Ok so Bella (my dog/first-born-child) went in for surgery on a tumor we found 4 weeks ago.

They anesthetized her, started feeling around for the tumor to begin the surgery........ and it was gone. No kidding they could not find the tumor anywhere.

They palpated and manipulated and moved her all around and no matter what they tried they could not find it. TWO vets could not find the tumor (one of which had seen bella AND felt the tumor just last Friday). So no they didn't do the surgery.

What they THINK happened was the tumor was a lymphatic reaction to tick bites (we've been battling fleas and ticks really hard this year). That's their best guess but they want us to watch her like a hawk (well duh!). A different vet (the one who orginally found the tumor) did a cell aspiration which came up inconclusive but they "THOUGHT" it was a sarcoma (I just found this out today.. I've been under the impression they KNEW it was a sarcoma). We also did very comprehensive bloodwork and still nothing popped up to tell us what the mass was. The new vet (the ones that were doing the surgery) is amazing. Because of the "misdiagnosis" they did not charge us a dime for the anesthesia or any other equipment used this morning. All we had to pay for was a special flea and tick collar which will hopefully help.

So crisis averted. I'm really happy but I think also still in shock because I've been so stressed out about this. Bella is my heart and soul, the reason I get up in the morning and the thought that I was losing her was devastating for me. In the past week I've maybe gotten 7 hours of sleep total. I think tomorrow it will really sink in and I'll feel relieved.

The funniest thing is.. my friend is in a contest on facebook and said whomever votes for her will get a favor. I jokingly said all I want is for her to make Bella's tumor disappear so I wouldn't have to pay the $800 for the surgery.... I almost died laughing when I remembered saying that and realizing it actually came true.

Bella is perfectly healthy! My mom said she kept looking at her like "um... why did I have to go to the vet just to take a nap???".

And to end this Cinderella Story... after 3 full years of living 4 hours away from my baby (due to living on campus at school) Bella is FINALLY coming this July to live with me in Savannah... where she belongs <3
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 
gmd1800

That's a HUGE relief!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good news!! I'm glad everything is ok but I'm sorry for all the stress it's caused you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Yeah... hopefully I'll sleep soundly tonight. I can't wait to go home and see her.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #5 
xswornxoffxjello

YAY! I'm really glad Bella is better. :) Or technically, she was never sick, was she? ;D This must be a huge relief. :D
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #6 
Twilight Storm

Someone was looking out for you up there and made your wish come true. ;)
Seriously good news that she's better and she can finally live with you!

Another good note is maybe when you move, the fleas and ticks won't be as bad as your current location? This year is bad for all kinds of pest bugs. We are battling ants... you can scratch the dirt outside anywhere and tick off hundreds of ants. They decided its crowded in the yard and have been finding holes and cracks in the siding to move their eggs into, and have been colonizing all my potted plants... Both inside and outside the house. It's driving me nuts.

Best wishes to you and your family! So good to hear your pup is as good as new. Scratch her neck for me. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

We've had bad ant problems here, too. We've had them and several of my neighbors have them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #8 
gmd1800

Boric acid is GREAT. You have to order through a company (we use Carolina Biological Supply since the town is about 30 minutes away from ours). You soak cotton balls in a boric acid/water mix (it should come with directions or you can look it up), and the put clusters of cotton balls around the infestations and the boric acid kills them off within a few hours.

There was an ant infestation in the mailbox once, so bad, there was about 2000 ants in there. A few cotton balls and hours later, they were ALL dead.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #9 
Wyvern

Im glad your Bella is doing better! Just wondering what do you guys use for fleas and ticks?

we have a few products but advantix is just fantastic. Our dogs get one dosage a year and it keeps them clean - but then again they are just in our yard. But a friend of mine who lives on a small farm uses it for her 2 dogs and she doses them once very 3 months.
http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/defaul...e=50&ItemId=14
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Originally she was on frontline but that stopped working. Then she was on advantix which I liked but our old vet stopped carrying it. Then on some other brand I can't remember.

When she originally went to the vet (when the found the tumor) she got flea stuff (not sure of the brand). TWO weeks later she went to another vet (for a second opinion) and she was covered in fleas despite having been given the flea meds. They gave her Comfortis and we also sprayed down her dog pen with insecticide.... despite all that when she went to the vet again yesterday she STILL had fleas on her so she got the flea collar. I'm not sure what the brand of collar is but it supposedly new and works on fleas, ticks, and is water repellent so we'll see how it goes.

My parents live in the country so fleas and ticks are a constant battle. Add in to that the fact that Bella spends most of the day in her dog run (unless its too cold or raining) so she's outside a lot and you have a recipie for flea city.

Here she'll be living totally indoors and rarely in woodsy areas so fleas should be much less of a problem.