Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #11 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayneForhest View Post
wow... My heart skipped a beat when I saw him... I'm tickled to death you can have him with your betta.

let us know how things continue to work out.
That's one beautiful fish!!!
Temperament wise I can have him with my betta, but he will need his own aquarium at some point, they can do well in freshwater for a while, but they are healthiest when kept in brackish water :)

I put in some algea wafers for him(They also love brine shrimp, blood worms and some other stuff) and quickly turned off all the lights in my room and went downstairs so my king betta wouldn't be able to see and eat them making himself bloated. I come back upstairs and my betta is bloated O.O He is such a sneaky little thing, I even distracted him yet he still found the wafers without any light. All the wafers were gone so I hope the dragon goby got a few. My betta had a few stress stripes and I couldn't tell if it was from being bloated or from the goby so I moved him into another aquarium. I plan to move him back once his bloating has gone down and I'm going to separate him now like I did for my pleco when I feed the goby so my silly betta doesn't make himself sick from eating to much.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #12 
ollief9

OK, I just did a little Googling, and found that these fish are also known as the Violet Goby. (I think.)

If so, s/he's gonna need a 65 gallon tank in the end.
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Gobioides_broussoneti
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #13 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
OK, I just did a little Googling, and found that these fish are also known as the Violet Goby. (I think.)

If so, s/he's gonna need a 65 gallon tank in the end.
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Gobioides_broussoneti
Yup(I actually say both names it in the first comment)
They get to be very large, lucky for him I have many tanks in my future that I want to set up :D, I know I want to get a 100 for my pleco and cichlid(I plan to get more cichlids) and a 100+ saltwater tank(In the far future), and since I have him now I'll try and get a 75 brackish aquarium. And a bunch of little aquariums for my bettas of course.

O.O I feel that I'm going to be a personal slave to parrots and fish.... and I'll need a very committed pet sitter lol
Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #14 
ollief9

lol
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #15 
SillyCone

Whoot he does look like one of those asian dragons.. :V!

Awesome fish, never saw one like it, hope he gets better, and.. nice finding!

You should name him Shaolin, from the Shaolin Soccer movie.. xD
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

One of my (well, not really friends ugh) got a white dragon fish, and managed to kill it within a few days. I was furious.

I thought they were salt water fish, though? Like, full salt? maybe not, but Im fairly certain freshwater is why hers croaked. (She didnt bother to research, sigh)

MOAR PICS. MOARR
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I would think about QT'ing the Betta.....more due to QT needs of the new fish especially since he wasn't in the best shape when you got him and the stress of being netted and moved-not to mention the feeding issues....if he gets sick your Betta may get sick too......I would QT him for at least 3 weeks to be safe......

Cool find by the way...good that you researched so you can meet its needs and when creating the brackish environment its best to use marine salt and not aquarium salt......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #18 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would think about QT'ing the Betta.....more due to QT needs of the new fish especially since he wasn't in the best shape when you got him and the stress of being netted and moved-not to mention the feeding issues....if he gets sick your Betta may get sick too......I would QT him for at least 3 weeks to be safe......

Cool find by the way...good that you researched so you can meet its needs and when creating the brackish environment its best to use marine salt and not aquarium salt......

O.O I hadn't thought of Qt at all! I'm so happy I'm on this forum so people can point out the stupid mistakes I make....

When I've been feeding him I move my betta into a fry container that floats in the tank so the goby can get to the food.... which takes a while, but he's still getting used to new things. I also bought some instant ocean sea salt for when I have a tank set up for him, he will need to be weaned onto it unfortunately because wall mart is filled with sadness, I don't really want to go to their fish section again...

@PewPewPew That's so sad it died, what happened?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #19 
AshleySpatula

I have seen those in wal mart before and for some reason only wal mart.
I've seen some nice birchirs at the lfs but thats it!

Anyways he's a gorgeous fish, I am sure he's much happier now!
AshleySpatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #20 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySpatula View Post
I have seen those in wal mart before and for some reason only wal mart.
I've seen some nice birchirs at the lfs but thats it!

Anyways he's a gorgeous fish, I am sure he's much happier now!
I was really surprised after I did a little research, apparently they really aren't all that common as aquarium fish, but for some reason wallmart carries them O.o