Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #1 
HD4life

New Here

First I just want to say, Why didn't I find this site sooner! lol I love it, I've fancied Betta fish a long time and I'm very excited to start putting some knowlege to use and enjoy the company of other betta fans. Anyway, I currently have a young pair of betta's Im looking to spawn very soon, a steel blue female (phebe) and a royal blue male(chester), veiltails. I want to start conditioning them while the tank is set up and being regulated temp wise and my live food cultures (for fry) are growing. I put a bucket outside and should be able to harvest mosquito larve after a while, but how long should the pair have live food before spawning? I have successfully spawned bettas before, but I was much younger and stupid so they were not cared for properly, and I killed them all ( Im sorry! I have begged the fish gods forgiveness since then) Now Im older and care about they're well being as pets not an experiment. I know veiltails are not sought after but I want to be sure that I do it right this time before spending the money on HM, or plakats. I also already have a local pet store willing to take most fry produced, so I'm not worried about them not getting homes. So I would like information on proper care for preparing to spawn, I have done a bunch of research on fry care and have things set up accordingly, though any advice will be great too. Thanks in advance.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

Can you tell us more about what you already have on hand...your spawning tank size, temp, plants, additives, water changes, filter...etc....a pic would help a lot and we love pics around here too....lol....

What spawning method do you plan to use....

What kind of food are you culturing for the fry.....

Mosquito larva are great to get the breeders in condition....I feed mass amount several times a day when I have them in the house and with my outside spawns they have mosquito larva around the clock.....lol.....

I use a brine shrimp net to harvest the tiny mosquito larva and daphnia for my fry in the house and outside fry get some added green water along with what ever the outside setups create for them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 
HD4life

details lol

At this time I have no pics, but I will work on that ;) Ok My set up is a 10g tank, bare bottom, moss, and amazon sward plant at one end with submerged heater, set to 82 degrees, it should level out soon, its still fluctuating a little. Its about halfway full of water, been conditioned and added wax paper for the bubble nest, I have 2 snails in it (desease free) to help keep the bottom clean. I have a submerged corner filter in place with panty hoes wrapped around it so it doesnt catch any fry. (Couldnt find a sponge filter anywhere local) I have a micro worm culture started, (about to be two cultures), I bought brine shrimp to start after they have grown a bit, and the mosquitoes too. I am getting a 55g tank for a grow out this weekend, which will also be set up, conditioned and running ahead of time. So how did I do? lol
Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are ready.....that should work....I do mine a bit different...I do a more natural setup-10gal soil based-full to the top with water and heavy planted, water lettuce for nesting site, oak leaf tannins, no filter, 80F with common snails and RCS.....

Do the sword plant leaves reach the top or float....these make a great place for a nest...but he will pick....lol......good that you have snails.....what kind....while you are conditioning the breeders.....best if conditioned in their own container-located so they can't see each other....neither in the spawning tank....feed the snails good greens...fresh blanched spinach, lettuce or algae wafers so they will start producing lots of infusoria for the tank...great fry food for the first weeks......keep the filter running until you add the breeders then turn it off until the fry are a week or so of age-be sure and make a water change before you add the breeders to spawn

How many/much on the live plants in the spawning tank....I like to cram it full of plants especially on one half when I did the bare-bottom spawns- to the point that the male can't get through but the female can...plants make a great natural divider to prevent premature egg drops......

I like to maintain a water temp of 80F-I get hatch in 24-28h...not too slow or too fast....too high and they can develop too fast and you end up with weak fry with poor immune response and same if too cool....IME

If you have the AC on-you may want to cover the top of the spawning tank with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity-this will help the nest and labyrinth organ when it develops....cool dry air can be hard on them and the nest......

Work on those pics....lol....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-04-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #6 
HD4life

Thank you very much for your help, I think I should probably get more plants, its a little dense in one corner but not enough for her to really hide if she wants to. I didnt know the temp is what regulates fry developement, I may need to turn it down a tad. I'm excited, I know I have learned so much more than I knew the first time around and I have high hopes this time... well not to high because I know raising fry will be tricky. So now I wait, make sure my fish are ready and hope that i have a good pair.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Look forward to following your spawning log with pics...laffs...Be sure and start a new thread when you introduce them.........

And temp is only part of growth and development....genetics, water quality, nutrition are other factors to name a few.....

Good luck and keep us posted....