Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #171 
metalbetta

People I'm not friends with can see my profile picture and my hometown. The net is lucky I expose that much. I don't like people I don't know looking at my page. Unless I want them to.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #172 
1fish2fish

I don't worry about future employers because no one can see my stuff unless I allow them to. It's a myth that all employers have some secret way of viewing your page and quite honestly.... most of them do not give a hoot what you post on your facebook.

Also, quite frankly I think it should be illegal for people such as employers to judge you based on your personal life. My personal life and my professional life are not mutually exclusive.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #173 
laughing

I agree 1-2Fish. The way I conduct myself is different in all situations ESPECIALLY work vs personal... I can understand though if you have really bad pictures that could harm the company but just because you're having a good time they shouldn't relate it to your work performance!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #174 
1fish2fish

Unless your either underage and doing things illegally or party so hard that you end up on a girls gone wild DVD I can't imagine what could be so bad it would make someone's company look bad. I also don't understand how the private actions of employees reflect badly on the company. I swear sometimes society has no rational.

It's like when everyone found out President Bush (jr) smoked pot in college and there was a whole hullabaloo about it. HOW does that affect how he acts now? (Not that I liked him as a president... at all.) It doesnt. Like I always say... build a bridge and get over it. I think people spend too much time worrying about what other people, politicians, stars, etc are doing instead of focusing on their own lives. I don't care if some Mayor has slept with every street walker in town as long as he is an effective mayor... know what I mean??

Anyways... I'm so mad. I paid my power bill online a week ago and today I got a notification that my payment was returned. It's not showing up as having been returned or paid :( My first ever bill and now it's going to be late... and on top of that I'm probably going to lose my $75 deposit :(. I'm going to call them on monday and try to figure it out.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #175 
laughing

I get exactly what you're saying. Especially the digging stuff up from the past... UGH! I wont read magazines or watch a lot of news anymore because it is all celebrities and I could care less.. like Charlie Sheen!

Aww no that sucks!! That's always the worst... ;(

I have a place to move into but it will be like 20 miles from my school! So I am not sure moving out is worth that much in gas... but I mean $150 in gas isn't bad with $200-ish+ utilities and extras plus a roommate I know and I am great friends with. It is about the same as an apartment!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #176 
Oldfishlady

Moral turpitude ..."conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals."
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_moral_turpitude

Bottom line for a company- is to make money......employees are a reflection of the company-both on the job and off...bad employees can hurt a company.........and when customers see one bad employee or an employee doing bad things and bragging about it on-line.....this can often be a reflection on the company and viewed negatively....yes, your private life is your life...but once you are in the work force...everything you do or have done in the past.... can come back to haunt you...right or wrong....its just how it is.....age of electronic...how it has changed us......
And some companies will have a moral turpitude clause in the employment agreement......look for it next time you apply for a job......

Ask yourself this...if a person broadcast/post- that they abuse fish even though the job you hired them for has nothing to do with fish...would you want them as an employee?......its not illegal to abuse fish...but morally its frowned upon.....if this person is brash enough to brag about abusing fish-would you risk employing them and they abuse customers, property...etc......

And maybe you can block some people from facebook...I don't know since I don't do facebook...but people that can/do have access to your facebook information.....can they send it to others...like what if a friend got mad at you or something.....just wondering......I am pretty limited on my computer knowledge....laffs......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #177 
vaygirl

I'm not clear on how that all works. I probably should be. I have everything set for only friends to see. You can set, everyone, friends of friends, friends only, or no one for all kinds of things. I had to go through all my pictures and set them to friends only because at one point they got switched to everyone. I don't really know how.

Regarding politicians and the spotlight.....I think if you lie in one facet of your life, then you don't have integrity. I do think politicians or anyone who's in power should have integrity. If they lie to the women they promise to love and cherish, the person closest to them, and they're having affairs all over the place then it's kinda hard to trust them to have integrity in other dealings. If they're breaking the law by sleeping with hookers, then they're not honoring the very law they're supposed to uphold and protect. These are the people with our futures in their hands. I want them to be honest, trustworthy people. If they're lying in one aspect of life, then why would I trust them not to lie in others?

I could care less what a celebrity does. I don't bother with all that. They have zero effect on my life. :P

Jackie, that sucks about the bill. I hope you get it worked out! Dealing with bills is a big freakin' PITA. There's always something hinky goin' on.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #178 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Regarding politicians and the spotlight.....I think if you lie in one facet of your life, then you don't have integrity. I do think politicians or anyone who's in power should have integrity. If they lie to the women they promise to love and cherish, the person closest to them, and they're having affairs all over the place then it's kinda hard to trust them to have integrity in other dealings. If they're breaking the law by sleeping with hookers, then they're not honoring the very law they're supposed to uphold and protect. These are the people with our futures in their hands. I want them to be honest, trustworthy people. If they're lying in one aspect of life, then why would I trust them not to lie in others?

I could care less what a celebrity does. I don't bother with all that. They have zero effect on my life. :P
Well stated...agree 100%.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #179 
1fish2fish

Meh, just add it to the long list of stuff I'll never understand... along with getting married if your going to cheat anyway, raising kids just because you feel morally obligated to even if your financially and emotionally not ready, and putting yourself deeply in debt just to keep up with societies definition of "a good life".

If you look back almost every major politician in history has had some skeletons in the closet. Heck, Thomas Jefferson is rumored to have had an entire posse of black kids with one of his slaves, in a time where that was considered morally wrong .... doesn't make people think any less of him as a president does it? Of course times have changed since then but still. Not saying we shouldn't expect more of our leaders... just that I don't think its as big a deal as it is made out to be in some cases.

At any rate, my facebook is locked down. No one can see it and even some of my friends aren't privy to all of my information and I keep it that way. If your savy enough you can put your friends into groups so only this group can see this and that group can see that. Monthly password changes prevent hackers.

The only way you can really get caught the way I do it is either someone ELSE has compromising pictures or someone takes a screen shot of your post. Facebook can also be subpoenaed for records if something is THAT serious.

I don't put myself in compromising situations anyways but I do have strong feelings about censorship. I just feel that American society is a little too uptight sometimes. Hopefully I'll begin to see a change in my lifetime.

On the other hand... I don't really understand why people keep half of the pictures they post on facebook anyways...
Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #180 
vaygirl

There's a book I read called A People's History of the United States... the real story of our Forefathers can make ya shudder. I might be somewhat biased though cause my husband is part Lenape Indian. But anyway, I agree, they've been lying, cheating, stealing for years. The problem is we don't really have a choice. These are the guys we're stuck with. They're all like that. And we can't do anything about it except gripe. Lol!

On an unrelated note... I just shocked myself with my electrical box outside. The one that controls my deck lights. My hand hurts. :/
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote