Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #1 
LeroyTheBetta

FINALLY got some java moss!

I can't find java moss in the shops around here and I had been thinking of getting some for a couple months. I finally decided a couple weeks ago I WOULD get some when I found it. My only option seemed to be ebay, but the java moss was tending to go for about $5 to $10, plus about $9 for shipping. I was looking at a minimum of about $15 just for one little glob of java moss. :P

Today I was browsing around ebay and happened to come across an auction ending in less than 1 minute from then..... the bid was at 99 cents plus $5.50 shipping. I put in my bid quickly and GOT it!! The final bid was only $1.25... so I only ended up $6.75 out of pocket! Yippee! Still a lot for a hunk of a weed, but when you can't find any, it's a good buy!

So, in addition to my 2 little banana plants I bought just the other day, I now have to find a tank to put the java moss in. I think my community tank will get it (that's what I originally wanted it in) because one of my mollies may have little mollies in a couple weeks. I'm not separating the fry, so I want to give them lots of hiding spots and I'm planting up the tank so that they have lots of cover. The strong and the clever will survive!

Oh, wanted to add that one of those little tanks I got at a second hand shop is looking easier and easier to fill and find a spot for! :) Got plenty of plants, plenty of substrate, a spare filter.... just need a heater, a light, and a fish.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #2 
Punki

lol I JUST got mine in the mail 3 days ago, same seller i believe, Brader67? Its not golfball sized unless you fluff it out alot but its something to start off with, considering how fast i hear java moss grows. Mine didnt take 2-5 days it took 9 days but arrived in a ziplock green and healthy, no snails or anything. Im just waiting for it to grow bigger now. Nobody around here sold it either, so frustrating!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #3 
rogue619

Java moss is not really considered a fast grower.
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #4 
Punki

Aw really? I kept hearing people say they threw it in and it quickly took over so i assumed =x Well hopefully in my tank it IS! Because the small amount i got just isnt enough :))
Old 06-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Punki, I got my java moss from a different seller. Now, I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with it.... what to attach it to. If there's enough, I'd like to put some in my goldfish tank, but the bulk of it in my community tank. And, if there's LOTS, Leroy might get a bit.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #6 
Punki

Yeah i later looked and saw that i got mine for 4.89 total but it was only golfball sized, either ways i hope you get plenty! i fluffed mine up and theres an open spot in the middle and my betta likes to hang there. Sometimes i see him trying to push it around with his head. I need something to anchor mine to also, as of now its just plopped in there. Hopefully ill get a 10g soon (looking at garage sales/goodwill) and grab some driftwood and go ALL OUT :)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

It tends to grow fast(er) with cO2 and reduced lighting, as well as too-cool for betta temps :)

Java moss hates me. Like. A lot. fffff
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote