Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #1 
bettabubble

Exclamation Help! What's wrong with my betta?

Hi, I just got my first betta the other day from the pet store. I just noticed a spot on his gills that almost looks like a cut. I'm going to attach a picture of the spot, and was wondering if I could get someones opinion on this.
I have two questions: is this something I should be worried about (could it be a disease of some sort), and also, what would you recommend I do to help it heal?
Thank you!
P.S. my betta is swimming around the tank, and doesn't seem to be acting abnormal, he even seems to be making small bubble nests, which I heard means they are happy
Attached Images

bettabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

I can't tell much by the pic...but if he is otherwise acting and eating his normal self I wouldn't worry much and watch the area for changes and changes in behavior and appetite....

We need a little more information too...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite......

One the best medications and treatment for Bettas-fresh dechlorinated like temp water from water changes.....

He is a lovely Betta too.....nice find....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 
bettabubble

Thank you for your reply!

He is by himself in a 5gal tank. It is heated and has a gentle filter. The water is about 79 F. There are no live plants in his tank, just a fairly large silk one with big leaves. He also has a little cave to hide in.

When I set up the tank, I added API stress coat (water conditioner) as directed. I also added API stress zyme (biological filtration booster). I let the tank settle for about 3 days before I got my betta.

I have tested my water each day and it has stayed at these readings:
GH: 60 ppm
KH: 240 ppm
pH: 8
NO2: 0.5 ppm
NO3: 0 ppm

I asked the lady at the pet store if the KH and pH were a little high, but she said it was fine...

As for water changes, I just got my betta yesterday, so there have been none so far. I read that for the size of my tank a 50% water change is alright every week... is this correct?

Lastly, my betta ate fine this morning... he was having trouble eating the betta pellets I have for him (i think they're too big for him... he's quite small) so i gave him a freeze dried bloodworm instead (he had no problem eating that), and am thinking I will crush his pellets next time I feed him...

I hope that I'm doing everything right, this is all new for me, and I want my betta to be happy and healthy! Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds good...and yes, the pH and GH/KH are fine...do you have testing product for ammonia...this needs to be monitored as well....in a newly set-up filtered 5gal until the nitrogen cycle has establish I would make water changes of 1-50% water only with reading of ammonia and/or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and a regular scheduled weekly: 50% with substrate vacuuming in all places that can be reached without moving anything in the tank

With the cycle products-watch out for too high nitrate...you want to keep this in the 5-10ppm range

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #5 
bettabubble

No, I don't have any testing kits for ammonia, but I will be sure to pick one up.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!