Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #51 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post

I would love to find him an artsy type of house or cave... everything I see in the fish stores are nautical/fish related. I'll keep looking.
Try http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decora...andleholders/1 Anything glass should be OK. If it's completely clear, it's not going to give the nice cave feeling, however. I was contemplating something from there before the fish guy at the petco pretty much gave me a bunch of driftwood--$10 for 5 pieces when it normally sells for $10 each!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #52 
sunnydawnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
I think Jewel will be happier in a 2.5 G drum bowl or add a heater into that 1G
I just got her a heater today that states it will work for 1-3G from Zoo Med (it's circular) I just love her ! She is so pretty swimming around in her bowl. I also bought her a live plant today for her tank to wrap around the heater cord to try to camoflauge it since her bowl is sitting on the counter for everyone to see.
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #53 
Neil D

^yay!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #54 
sunnydawnie

Glad to report that Goldie is completely back to normal. I've been putting Melafin at 1/5 of the dose in his water daily. His body has returned to it's normal color and the missing scales look filled in - it's that quick that they replace 2 scales ?

His tail continues to have that straight line across but it hasn't broken off anymore. He had a jagged fin appearance when I got him, so the rest remains the same.

He runs all over the tank, not quite as frantically - so he's probably happier in his warmer tank. Thanks to all for their advice that helped this little guy.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #55 
Sakura8

Fish can heal really fast, especially if they're in good conditions and getting good care like you've been giving him so it's not unusual for scales to grow back so fast. The treatments are probably helping his tail as well but don't be too alarmed if part of it breaks off at that clear line. The jagged look appears to be normal as I think he is a crowntail.

Glad to hear Goldie's doing so much better.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #56 
FuulieQ

Bettas are tough little things, it's really surprising how fast they can heal sometimes. You must be taking great care of them! I'm glad he's healthy again! (but who wouldn't be in a tank that awesome)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #57 
sunnydawnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Some LFS people arent properly educated and give the wrong info but it sounds like that guy knows a bit about bettas, good for you for going to get advice, you can only help online so much but in person is much better. I hope all goes well in his healing process and hes enjoying resting in his warmer home :)
BTW... I just learned last night when talking from a member of a fish organization that this LFS guy is the local fish expert for an organization called AquaCharlotte here in Charlotte, NC.

Here's their website: http://www.aquacharlotte.org/CAASWS/LINKS.php
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #58 
sunnydawnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Bettas are tough little things, it's really surprising how fast they can heal sometimes. You must be taking great care of them! I'm glad he's healthy again! (but who wouldn't be in a tank that awesome)
Thanks for the compliments Sakura and FuulieQ. I do try !

The clear line that started on the tail seems to have disappeared. We'll see what happens with the clear line that is worse on the fin under his belly. If he loses it, no biggie. The guy at the LFS store said their fins are kind of like our fingernails. It's good that they shorten themselves once in a while or they'd get too long and they wouldn't swim well.

Oh, and I agree Sakura - I think he's a crowntail too - but with a different tail. He's unique

Last edited by sunnydawnie; 06-06-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #59 
sunnydawnie

Here's Goldie in his redecorated tank. I think I'll be taking the house out though - not sure I like it and he hasn't been interested in it at all.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #60 
Neil D

House looks fine, but randomly placed. Artsy indeed...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote