Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #1 
Mrs S Class

MRS S CLASS pet - ALEX!

OK new betta fish expert friends...Alex is still alive and kickin'! But, still HUGE! Here are two pics from today. The one from above the tank shows that he is pooping and/or expelling something...boy just wont get any smaller. I am actually quite surprised he is still alive. We are on day 5 or 6 of the epsom salt and 'bacteria clear' (1/4 tablet) solution water....

Does anyone have any new ideas or do I just keep doing what I am doing>!? THANKS! :)

Name:  Alex 4.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  84.4 KB

OK, and now as I am attaching this picture--- Alex is swimming like an absolute freak around the top of his tank- banging into the sides...ok, he stopped....wild!
His belly is so huge that i can almost see through him....rather freaky actually. Not trying to be gross- but I would be trying to 'end it all' myself too if I was this bloated for this long!!!
Mrs S Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 
Creat

How much salt are you adding? You may be able to add a little more epsom salt. But if he has stopped growing in size the solution may be working if it has caused him to stop the bloat it may take a while to shrink back.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
SillyCone

Hello Mrs S, how have you been? xD

sorry your fish haven't been getting visually better, but!

I'm almost positive you are doing 100% daily water change together with the epsom salt treatment, am I right?

As Creat said, what is the dosage you are using? You may want to do a 3tsp per gallon if you are thinking he isn't getting any better, try giving him a bit of food since he didn't eat in the last 14 days, just to make him slightly better.

BUT!

Here are some of the photos you sent to us:

The first photo:

And the photos from last week:
*double sided*

Now, is it just me or his left side is a lot bigger than the right?

Because on your last post it really seems like it, specially on the other photos if you pay attention:

Also this is a close-up from that photo:

The circles indicate the white poop from your fish, I think that might be parasites.... Also.. I think he's rather pooping a lot daily, if that's his daily poop.

But yeah, can you remind us the dosage you are using on the epsom salt? You might want to buy something for internal parasites as well I think... Let's wait for some experts to reply :P

And I hope he gets better, don't lose your hope! He's a real fighter, you might want to rename him as a Goldfish after this drama.. hahaha. =]
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #4 
nowzem

This isn't helpfull, but the poor guy! Just looking at him makes me wanna perform an emergency surgery or something! :( Good luck, I agree with what Silly Cone said...that's a lot of poo, but apparently SOMETHING is stuck in his full belly...I also agree that it may be parasites, but I don't have much expertise with that.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would increase the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal if you are at 2tsp/gal right now and if at 1tsp/gal increase to 2tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes with the Epsom salt water.....I would give him another 4-5 days and if he seems to be suffering....you may need to do what is right by him......

As posted it could be internal parasites...but it could also be a tumor and not a lot you can do for that except for treat the symptoms with Epsom salt like you are doing...adding tannins could also help the stress and ease him a bit....add either Indian almond leaf or if you have any oak trees...look for some naturally dried and fallen from the tree leaves...use about 10-12 crushed per gallon of water.....you want really dark amber colored water....

Add the leaves to his water and pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and the tannins to steep for about and hour...shake well and use this water for 50% water changes every 2 hours today X's 2 and then 100% daily for 5 days......

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #6 
laughing

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong there. A mild case of internal parasites would not make him look like that, and "normal" internal parasites would've killed him or made holes through his body a very long time ago...

Do as OFL said. I didn't read your last post, but did you fast him at all? It looks like a child is just stuffing him full... He is obviously not constipated, look at all that poop!!

Honestly, I think he has something severely wrong internally, and potentially even a tumor. If it doesn't start going down soon, I think it is best to 'put him out of his misery' as they say... ;(
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

^If you do decide to let him go, we'll tell you proper, humane ways to do so :c

Good luck, keep us posted. He could very well get back to almost normal, given enough time.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #8 
Sakura8

If he doesn't seem to be suffering, though, keep trying for a few days more. He's still alive so he's a fighter and I for one want to give him every chance. See if we can't get all the parasites out of him and get him to shrink. Otherwise, I may have to agree that sadly, he could have a tumour. Also, if you can't find any oak leaves that are dried up where you are, you can use decaffeinated pure green tea leaves. It has to be just pure green tea, no other flavors added. Steep a bag in the tank for an hour or overnight.

If he ever starts to show signs like he's having difficulty breathing (gills moving rapidly) or difficulty rising to the surface to get air or he can no longer stay upright and floats/swims on his side, post immediately because then it may be time to, alas, help him to his peace.

Go Alex, we're rooting for you!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

That looks very much like cases of fish TB I've seen pics of. I've known people who have been successful at anesthetizing fish and lansing the area to relieve pressure from fluid build up which is what this seems to be.

To be honest I think the time for epsom salts has passed and you should look into real medications. You might try calling National Fish Pharmacy and see what they say. They normally don't answer questions from regular people but I've heard others have gotten advice from them before.

I wouldn't hold out much hope. That mass, whatever it is, is probably doing major damage to some major organs, so even if you can get the swelling to go down he probably has permanent damage to vital organs.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
That looks very much like cases of fish TB I've seen pics of. I've known people who have been successful at anesthetizing fish and lansing the area to relieve pressure from fluid build up which is what this seems to be.

To be honest I think the time for epsom salts has passed and you should look into real medications. You might try calling National Fish Pharmacy and see what they say. They normally don't answer questions from regular people but I've heard others have gotten advice from them before.

I wouldn't hold out much hope. That mass, whatever it is, is probably doing major damage to some major organs, so even if you can get the swelling to go down he probably has permanent damage to vital organs.
If it is fish TB, then caution is required as it can be transmitted to humans. But I'm not sure about that. A-Z of Tropical Fish Diseases and Health Problems lists emaciation as a symptom, not bloating. Also lists loss of appetite, pop-eye, and sometimes skin ulcers. I do agree that the longer the bloating goes on, whatever its cause, the more likely there will be permanent damage to his organs. Still, the fact that he appears to be expelling parasites seems to be a promising sign. Perhaps medicated pellets would work?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote