Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #1521 
Echo

Zen, my veil, has a body length of almost 2 inches, he's an absolute beast compared to my other two boys.. how big can bettas get?
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #1522 
Rell30

Bluey, my beautiful Betta doesn't like his plant. This bothers me because I put it in there because I herd it reduces the stress level of the fish. Why do you think he doesn't like it??
Rell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #1523 
Neil D

Hmmm...Bettas get tO about 2/3 in. King Bettas can get to 5 in.

He may not pike his plant cos it's hurting him. Is it plastic? Brightly colored? It should reduce stress.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #1524 
nel3

is a standing marine water thermometer good to put into the tank or are there more accurate and compact models? the one i found is .5' wide and 4'' tall.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #1525 
Neil D

Not sure. I have one that magnets to the inside of the tank. It is pretty accurate and I love it. Its also really easy to move around and you don't have to get your hands wet.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #1526 
nel3

i got around to prepping the 1 gal tank that has a light in the lid. put down the gravel/substrate. its a bit powdery but 1 day in water to remove any dust should do. will transfer the plastic plant from current tank just b4 i do final preparations to put it in the 1 gal.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #1527 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
My friend's boyfriend recently revealed to me that he has a betta. However it's in one of those Marina Zen tanks, no heater, probably in something like 0.5 Gallons or less. The catch being...this blue VT is almost 3 years old now O.O

This guy is one of those typical betta keepers in that Zen tank and changing the water 100% once a week.

Query: Lucky fish? Or just a very resilient fish...I've seen him, he seems fairly active in whatever space he has, reacts to almost every stimuli possible (both swimming around and/or flaring), loves pellets, bloodworms and long walks on the beach

Unrelated 2nd Query:I must buy a new tank tomorrow. Lin's 2ish gal is leaking a bit (nothing urgent, will last for a while) due to its age. I am considering getting either a 3 Gal or 5 Gal crescent depending on which one is available at the store.

I have heard some success stories of introducing the betta LAST when trying for a community tank with other species, what could I put in a 3 Gal or alternatively a 5 gal?....No snails plz X_X

Also, what is the smallest size able to hold a cycle? I want the 3 Gal for physical space conservation because it's on my desk (HongBo's 5gal is pretty spacey already), but I would be willing to MAYBE adjust my desk a little if she needs a 5 gal too, but I am leaning towards the 3 right now
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #1528 
inkrealm

does anyone know what scratches and missing scales look like on Bettas?
I was watching my little guy just previously and he looked fine, but when I reached into his tank to remove a dead leaf he tried to bite my hand. I still didn't notice anything immediately, so I just thought it was amusing and went stuck my hand in deaper so he wouldn't do it again ( he's not agressive they just looked bite-able I guess ) and went back to removing some leaves and then I started a water change. halfway through I noticed a tiny streak on his face just over one of his eyes... it's a little white-ish blue and it looks like a scratch to me or missing scales ( maybe he hit it on an uprooted plant or one of the plastic holders or did it when he hit my hand even though I didn't notice it? )
but I wanted to make sure if possible. it's not a spot like a parasite and it doesn't look like a worm.

it's peeling a little too, so I think he scratched the skin ;^;

extra:
he seems to be okay, he's poking his head in the gravel and slinking on it a little, but I'm still adding water so that might be why, he's not throwing himself into it.
he might be a bit surprised, I can't tell :/
no stress streaks, mild tear to the tail ( but that's not new ) no signs of fin rot I can see, breathes normal far as I can tell
eats slowly these days but it's because the food is behind him ( I can't get it in front because he comes to the ABSOLUTE front ) and he doesn't see it for a really long time x-x he eats it once he sees it. and he dances around waiting for it near feeding time.

does anyone have a picture or ideas? and if it's a scratch should it be okay with clean water? I don't THINK he has any damage to the actual eye ( that I can see ) thanks ^-^;

also afre exposed plant roots fine?
my stupid moneywort won't stay under <T.T> he nips at them, but I don't think it should be an issue?

Last edited by inkrealm; 06-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #1529 
LynnsBettas

How do i stop my white deltatail from turning pink or red???
LynnsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #1530 
inkrealm

Lynn-
you can't. if your little guy is getting color you can't stop it. or you can, but it would require abusing him so please don't D:
he's coloring up because he's getting healthier and happier ^-^ this color is inevitable though :/
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote