Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #1 
BroNus23

is it possible?

I have a male betta fish. I noticed that his tank is starting to grow algea so i decided to get an algea eater. I got a pleco the first time (yes I know they grow to be huge but I have another big tank to put him in when he grows) but I think I bought him sick. I tried to give him meds but it was to late. He got allong well with my betta. Even when the pleco was dying the betta was by him the whole time like a friend and would not leave his side. After the first one died I decided to get another one to control the algae. I got him yesterday and let him in the tank. Everything looked fine. This morning I got up and looked in the tank and could not find the pleco at all. I moved all the decorations, everythig and just cannot find him and its not a huge tank so he could not have disapeared. I did notice there were a few little pieces of what could have been fin floating around but I'm not sure it could just be some waste. I would like to know if it is possible that my betta ate the pleco. I find it a bit shocking but maybe somebody knows. I figured maybe it would have killed it but then there would have been a body. And it didnt' jump out i looked all over. Also does anobody know a better way to control algae in the tank other than chemicals?
BroNus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I doubt the Betta ate the pleco..it is either in the tank somewhere or it jumped out.....

What size is your tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives, lighting/lights-age of bulb, kelvin, watts, photoperiod....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 
FuulieQ

If your betta ate the pleco, he would be visibly bloated and probably dead - bettas' stomachs are about the size of their eye.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #4 
BroNus23

That is what I thought. My betta looked maybe a tiny bit bigger but not significantly enough. I am going to check again when I get home from work. Maybe I just missed it and maybe it did jump out. :( That is odd. Do betas generaly get along with algae eaters? If so what is the best one I can get.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 
Tisia

how big is your tank?
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #6 
BroNus23

my tank is about 4 gal
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

I'm guessing he either jumped out or buried himself under decor/gravel. If you have hollow decor he could have hidden in it. Amano shrimp are good algae eaters but you can only get them if your tank is heated (which it should be since bettas require heat too...).
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #8 
bettafish15

4 gallons isnt enough to have a pleco. The smallest type of pleco, the Bristlenose, needs 20 gallons, every other species needs 50+ gallons, common plecos need 100+ gallons. The algae is supposed to be mostly managed by you, and you're supposed to feed them algae wafers to keep them well fed. How often do you do waterchanges?

I think it's likely the pleco is hiding in something, or got out somehow. If the betta ate the pleco his stomach would so huuuuuggge! xD lol.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #9 
newbie32

I think cherry shrimp will eat algae and they are fun to watch. I think otto's will eat algae too, but i'm not sure if either will clean it off the side of the tank. Perhaps you have too much direct sunlight on the tank? That can cause algae growth. May want to limit that.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie32 View Post
I think cherry shrimp will eat algae and they are fun to watch. I think otto's will eat algae too, but i'm not sure if either will clean it off the side of the tank. Perhaps you have too much direct sunlight on the tank? That can cause algae growth. May want to limit that.
Ottos need at least 10 gallons.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote