Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #11 
FuulieQ

I wouldn't use salt long-term, it reduces the effectiveness of salt treatments in case the fish gets sick later and can also do organ damage long-term, I think. It's good to have around, though, so I would be sure to get aquarium salt (that's what it will say on the package, make sure not to get marine salt by accident!).

Personally, I don't usually buy medications other than aquarium salt until I need them, because they can be expensive and you never know what you'll need. Right no I have maracyn I and II laying around, and that's about it.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #12 
Twilight Storm

The pic of the bowl on top of your computer looks kind of like you have him in a space age water cooler LOL. He's pretty though! :)

I agree that you should hold off on medications unless you need them. Just pick up some Aquarium Salt. (something like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=10850845 They make a smaller box of it then this example though)

The other thing would maybe have some Epsom Salt around just in case. You can soak your feet in it, or add it to your bath, and there is a natural lawn tonic that uses this stuff as well. For your betta it is often used for constipation.

If you get the expensive medications they are often only good for 1 year then expire, and chances are they will probably expire before you need them.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum! :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
He's gorgeous a lovely crowntail. I'm glad you saved him. Definietly try to go for at least two gallons the Minibows are great tanks you just need to sponge or pantyhose baffle the filters. A heater is a definietly a must as betta's are cold blooded. So far with the conditioner and food your doing great.

Hope to see more pics of him. (BTW use panty hose when selecting plants. If it tears it's not good for your buddy.)
Hahaha, okay I'm imagining myself at my Petsmart (where they already look at me like I'm a freak) with a pair of panty hose running it over all the plastic plants. "Excuse me, miss, may I ask what you're doing with that pair of panty hose? We may have to ask you to leave if you don't put them back on . . ."
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #14 
Xbxiii

ya i had him sitting there for the picture, noway would i leave any water even close to my computer desk, haha .. so today i woke up to bubbles in his bowl, ive owned him 5 days and he is already making a bubble nest.. must be a good thing, lol
Xbxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #15 
bettalover2033

Wow he is very pretty! Though you should really find a different "bowl" or tanks that is bigger and a lot less open on the top because when bettas get excited they tend to jump.
So even though you are going to get a bigger tank, you should get a higher vase because they vase is just too dangerous. If some one knocks it over or something it is too scary!

Just try to get something that is less open at the top and its not so wide.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #16 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hahaha, okay I'm imagining myself at my Petsmart (where they already look at me like I'm a freak) with a pair of panty hose running it over all the plastic plants. "Excuse me, miss, may I ask what you're doing with that pair of panty hose? We may have to ask you to leave if you don't put them back on . . ."
Lol! Hilarious!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #17 
metalbetta

A lot of people like to use aquarium salt or epsom salt to treat freshwater fish... Aquarium salt is more for fin/body healing and to improve gill function... epsom salt is used to keep bloating down. if you ever need it you can buy AQ salt at any petstore, and epsom salt you can get at pretty much any pharmacy. Your guy looks fine at the moment. In fact he's a gorgeous boy! I can't wait to see your setup!
As for meds, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about getting them right away. If he ever starts showing any symptoms, just post here, there are a lot of people that'd be happy to help you out! For now, just keep the water clean for him and he should perk right up!

Last edited by metalbetta; 06-10-2011 at 05:38 PM.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #18 
Nodmas113

Will AQ salt harm snails in any way?
Nodmas113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #19 
metalbetta

Never tried it, but I assume it would.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #20 
BrookeGrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
The pic of the bowl on top of your computer looks kind of like you have him in a space age water cooler LOL.
Ha! I thought the same thing. I was like wooahhh, what kind of futuristic bowl is this?

Very pretty fish!
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote