Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #1 
Bettawolf19

Plans

I have a 10gal sand bottom tank in the making for my halfmoon and soon my new crowntail.

The tank was used for my late hamster that passed away. And before that it was also a hamster cage and the hamster age away some of the sealent. I have repaired the damages with some aquarium selent from petsmart. The sand I got from home depot($3 play sand) and that I've cleaned in a large blue tub thing for an hour or so.

However I need to clean the tank out just in case theres any ickies in there. My question is whats the formula for cleaning a 10 gal tank like that? I heard its 1 part bleach 9 part water? So would that be 1 gal of bleach and the rest water? Or should I go with 1 cup bleach to 10 gal water?

Also, with the tank I'm planning of having it divided with a sponge filter( http://cgi.ebay.com/Bio-Sponge-Filte...item8010809b58 ) for my halfmoon. Has anyone had any experience with that filter? Do you only need the air pump to run it?

Also with people with natural planted tanks do any of you use sand? And if you do, do you use another substate as well? Also what kind of lighting do you use? I live in the basement so I don't have access to natural lighting. I was hoping to get a full hood i'm just a bit hesitant with what bulbs? I can either get a hood thats a single bulb or two seperate bulbs.

Guess the easiest thing to say is i'm starting a tank from scratch. I ahve the tank that was sealed and tested good and play sand that's been cleaned. It's gonna be a natural planted tank and most of the plants are bright to medium lighting. Any other ideas would be great :)
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #2 
KayDowson

try rinsing it with vinegar and or hydrogen peroxide and then rinsing it out really good... and scrub it down super duper so u dont have any ickies from the rodents left behind
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
I have a 10gal sand bottom tank in the making for my halfmoon and soon my new crowntail.

However I need to clean the tank out just in case theres any ickies in there. My question is whats the formula for cleaning a 10 gal tank like that? I heard its 1 part bleach 9 part water? So would that be 1 gal of bleach and the rest water? Or should I go with 1 cup bleach to 10 gal water?
A 5% solution would be fine. That would be 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

So, you could do something like 19 cups water & 1 cup bleach, but I'd just use half which would be 9 1/2 cups water & 1/2 cup bleach. Put on a glove (bleach is an acid, this is why your skin is slippery after you use it.... it's breaking down tissues of your hand....... also to be sure no bleach residue is on your hands when you do the final rinse of your tank) and just wash the surfaces down. If there's not lots of crud on it, just being in contact with the bleach solution for several minutes should be fine. I would let it sit for a few minutes after you wash it down, then get the surfaces wet again and let it sit for another few minutes.

Be sure to rinse the HECK out of the inside! Bleach is VERY VERY toxic to fish and you need to get all you can out. Once rinsed, let it soak in clean water with double or triple dose of dechlorinator for an hour or two.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #4 
cableguy69846

You would definitely need an air pump for that. I would advise against that filter due to the live plants. You may find that your CO2 will out gas too much with all the water turbulence. I would go for a HOB power filter such as an AuaClear 20 or so. As far as the light, go with a T5 or T8 fixture for high light plants. And you will probably want to think of some type of CO2 if you go that high on the light. You can also get a dual incandescent fixture and put 2 Mini CFL bulbs like this one ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-...-1-ct/10448675
in it.
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

What kind of soil are you going to use....I use regular playsand to cap my soil based tanks

Sponge filter will be fine for a soil based tank or no filter at all.....I don't use any filters on my 10gal NPT...well except for the plants...lol....they are great filters as long as you have the right number and species......its best to start out with several different species of stem plants...the reason....not all plants will do well and by using several different species the setup will pick the one it wants.....

Proper lighting is really important...look for 6500k bulbs....I use 2 light strips over my 10gals-open top to get best light penetration for best plant growth...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #6 
Bettawolf19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
You would definitely need an air pump for that. I would advise against that filter due to the live plants. You may find that your CO2 will out gas too much with all the water turbulence. I would go for a HOB power filter such as an AuaClear 20 or so. As far as the light, go with a T5 or T8 fixture for high light plants. And you will probably want to think of some type of CO2 if you go that high on the light. You can also get a dual incandescent fixture and put 2 Mini CFL bulbs like this one ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-...-1-ct/10448675
in it.
What's T5 and T8 mean? And I was looking at those bulbs and they're about $5 buck or so.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 
cableguy69846

Quote:
What's T5 and T8 mean? And I was looking at those bulbs and they're about $5 buck or so.
T5 is a linear fluorescent bulb that is skinny. You get a lot of bang for your buck with these. You can even get High Output (HO) and get even more. It is a good way to cram a bunch of watts of lighting over your tank with less space used.

T8 is also a linear fluorescent bulb, but a bit bigger. It is about and inch to an inch and a half in diameter and is a good way to get a good deal of light over your tank as well. This is what most standard fish tank hoods take.

In my opinion, you don't really need to get T5 lighting unless you are going to use high light plants and lots of ferts and CO2. Going that route would be considered High Tech. I would stick with CFL lights or the T8, as they are both readily available at any pet store and not nearly as expensive as T5 or T5HO lamps and fixtures. If you look at a lot of these reef tanks, most of the lights are T5 and T5HO lights on them. Good for mimicking the tropical sun.

As far as the lamps I gave you the link for, I use them on 3 of my tanks with great success. I have two of them in an incandescent hood on my 10 gallon and one in an incandescent hood on my 2.5 gallon nano. All my plants are doing very well and I love how cheap they are.

Last edited by cableguy69846; 06-14-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #8 
Bettawolf19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What kind of soil are you going to use....I use regular playsand to cap my soil based tanks

Sponge filter will be fine for a soil based tank or no filter at all.....I don't use any filters on my 10gal NPT...well except for the plants...lol....they are great filters as long as you have the right number and species......its best to start out with several different species of stem plants...the reason....not all plants will do well and by using several different species the setup will pick the one it wants.....

Proper lighting is really important...look for 6500k bulbs....I use 2 light strips over my 10gals-open top to get best light penetration for best plant growth...
I was looking at getting Earthgro(I do believe I read soemwhere you use that) though I was wondering if you can use the munure version of that? Because I know they have the potting soil one of it.

As for stem plants I have Aracharis, Wisteria, Moneywort and Hornwort. I think Moneywort and Hornwort are considered stems correct me if I'm wrong of course. I foudna place that sells water lettice to..never knew it floated to be honest lol different kind maybe? I also have some Java fern thats not doing so swell in my 5 gal(which I'm thinking of redoing..hate the gravel of it lol bye bye cycled tank XD) but I don't think it would like the 10 gal though because of the lighting..

Man if only I had windows in my room I could use the sunlight to help but I would probably get a face full of algae instead -sigh- So for lighting I'm trying to avoid a hood mostly because their just argh with me but we'll see. I might just go get one anyways. Petsmart has one going for $23ish right now.

I ahve a feeling after this I'm gonna wanna do all my fish tanks this way..and get more tanks and continue XD granted its a good thing I live in the basement..no worries of my tanks going through the floor :D
Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #9 
cableguy69846

Quote:
I was looking at getting Earthgro(I do believe I read soemwhere you use that) though I was wondering if you can use the munure version of that? Because I know they have the potting soil one of it.

As for stem plants I have Aracharis, Wisteria, Moneywort and Hornwort. I think Moneywort and Hornwort are considered stems correct me if I'm wrong of course. I foudna place that sells water lettice to..never knew it floated to be honest lol different kind maybe? I also have some Java fern thats not doing so swell in my 5 gal(which I'm thinking of redoing..hate the gravel of it lol bye bye cycled tank XD) but I don't think it would like the 10 gal though because of the lighting..

Man if only I had windows in my room I could use the sunlight to help but I would probably get a face full of algae instead -sigh- So for lighting I'm trying to avoid a hood mostly because their just argh with me but we'll see. I might just go get one anyways. Petsmart has one going for $23ish right now.

I ahve a feeling after this I'm gonna wanna do all my fish tanks this way..and get more tanks and continue XD granted its a good thing I live in the basement..no worries of my tanks going through the floor :D
As far as soil based tanks, I don't have a lot of experience with them. The one I am doing is my first one. I have seen a lot of people using Miracle Gro potting soil and having success with it though. As far as the one you mentioned, I have no clue. I would imagine the manure one would add all the things you would be trying to take out, nitrate, nitrite, and possibly ammonia. Not sure though. As far as the lighting, look on craigslist. I have found many a tank and hood on there. I have Java Fern in my 10 gallon that is quite happy with the light. 1 to 2 new leaves a week at this point. They also like ferts in the water column though and some CO2 never hurts. As far as doing all your tanks this way, that is up to you. I can tell you this though, this is going to be my one and only tank I do like this. I will stick with aquarium substrate like Eco Complete from now on. It is what I have used on past tanks and have not really had a problem with it. I would say, do a couple of different ways, and find something that works for you and stick with it. As for the light hood, you can just get the light part of it and use a glass top instead of the full hood. I use all glass tops and love them. They keep the humidity in and the cats out.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't use the manure type soils this could cause algae issue....you want some type of regular organic type potting soil, top soil or if you live in an area that is free of pesticide you can go dig dirt out of your yard and use this.

Although hornwort is a nice plant-I wouldn't use this and it is really not good planted...stem plants are important for many reasons and needed for soil based tanks-fast growth that will use ammonia and DOC's, roots send oxygen into the soil to prevent anaerobic areas, easy to propagate, plant and generally easy to grow to name a few reasons they are important for a successful soil based tank.
Aracharis-a good plant but not always dependable for soil based tanks..

Wisteria is a good choice......moneywort I have never kept this plant to know much about it...

As I posted earlier-it is important to start with several different types of stem plants since they can be different in every tank...some do great and other don't......usually stem plants are sold in bunches of 6-12 stems and in a 10gal tank I would start with at least 2 bunches of 4 different species of stems....you can plant other types of plants too...like vals, sags, swords, crypt and as the tank mature and the soil starts its life underwater you can start removing some of the stem plants to use in another new planted tank...lol.....giving the rosette plants more room to grow and reproduce so their babies can be moved to the new tanks...lol....you start with one tank and usually the plant growth with soil based tanks are so fast that soon you are setting up that second, third...etc.....just for all the plant growth.....often you only need to buy plants once....lol......planted tanks can be addictive.....lol.....

Soil based tanks are meant to be low tech, low light and low care...but lots of fun....you don't need added ferts, CO2 or even filtration unless you want the water movement......the tank is somewhat self contained little ecosystem that create everything it needs once it has matured....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon tank