Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #1 
kgs1992
New Member
 
kgs1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Exclamation Colour change?

Well, I have a male betta fish (Haven't found a good enough name for him yet) & I noticed something odd (Yeah, I know all questions must start that way! )
Well, when I first purchased my fish, he was purple & red with dark (almost black) scales on the head.
But after I brought him home and acclimated him and put him in his bowl, I noticed his colour had changed. This is how he looked.

Picture here

Now, today, in the morning I noticed he had made a bubble nest! (Yay!)

Bubble Nest Picture here! :)

But then I saw something weird, his colour had changed back to what it was when I bought him. I bought him from the pet shop around 4-5 days ago.
This is how he looks now.

Current picture here

Although in the picture he looks blue & red, he's actually purple & red & black (on the head).
Now, I'm guessing this is why:
The pet shop had kept him in a small tiny partition in an unheated aquarium. And the pet shop has an air conditioner maintaining temperature at around 76-78 F.
When I brought him home, I kept him in a room that has no air conditioner and so, the water temperature was higher.
And it rained heavily today & that's probably why the water temperature went down.
So my theory is that the temperature affects the colour of my fish. But I may be wrong. So, please advise me on the matter. And I couldn't see any shiny layer on his scales, I hope this isn't velvet.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 litre
What temperature is your tank? 79-82 F
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Micro-pellets and Bloodworms alternatively.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Solutions to remove Ammonia, Chlorine and Nitrates.


Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Colour (purple-> blue-> purple) & blackish scales
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not changed in anyway.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him a couple of days ago. Seems less than a year old. Maybe 8-10 months (just a guess).

P.S: I'm from India, so the temperatures here are quite good for tropical fish (especially bettas) so, I found it unnecessary to invest in a heater. Maybe when I do think its necessary (Read: when I have the money), I'll get a heater and a filter & maybe even a bigger tank.
Thank you so much for reading and replying, I appreciate any help or advise that you can offer me! :)

Last edited by kgs1992; 06-11-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Didn't re-size the pics, so put a link to them instead of adding to the text.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #2 
Silverfang
Member
 
Silverfang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newfoundland
I'm not expert, but I think he looks quite good in that second picture.
My only concern is the frequency of your water changes. In anything in the 1-5 gal range you should be doing one 50% and one 100% change weekly. Ammonia can build up pretty fast in smaller containers. 5L is just over 1gal I believe.
And when it comes to feeding you might try two smaller meals, one in the morning and one in the evening to help prevent bloating.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 
kgs1992
New Member
 
kgs1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I'm not expert, but I think he looks quite good in that second picture.
My only concern is the frequency of your water changes. In anything in the 1-5 gal range you should be doing one 50% and one 100% change weekly. Ammonia can build up pretty fast in smaller containers. 5L is just over 1gal I believe.
And when it comes to feeding you might try two smaller meals, one in the morning and one in the evening to help prevent bloating.
Thanks for the prompt reply. And yes, I know the water changes are far too small to prevent ammonia build up, and so I add a drop or few of the water conditioner to a little quantity of water (100-200ml) and add it to the bowl 4 days after water change.
My previous betta (Crimson) died due to frequent water changes (from what I could conclude). He died after I did a 50% water change, probably due to shock, so I'm a bit concerned about frequent water changes. :(
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Hi, thats a very pretty crowntail! I had a similar looking one but he died a month ago :(. I think a heater is very necessary even in Bombay, all my bettas have one except for the two new guys. I realised this when my first one got fin rot (didn't know much back then) and getting a heater actually stopped the rot, although his fins are really sad looking now! And its not expensive, just 150- 200 bucks. I hope you reconsider :). Water conditioner doesn't do anything about ammonia build up, it is only for removing chlorine from tap water. Frequent water changes are a must, that way the fish acclimates more easily to the clean water because there isn't much ammonia in his tank in the first place. A sudden change from dirty to clean is what causes the shock.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm
Member
 
Twilight Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
And its not expensive, just 150- 200 bucks.


I am guessing that has got to be a typo or it is not USD! ;)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post


I am guessing that has got to be a typo or it is not USD! ;)
No no I meant rupees! Slang... Lol! I think its about 3 USD teehee!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #7 
Creat
Member
 
Creat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Defiantly need to up the water changes... more frequent smaller water changes should ease your mind and keep the water cleaner but be sure to acclimate them slowly to water changes shouldnt harm the fish at all its the shock in temperature and ammonia levels int he water etc.. As for your boy that is totally normal many fish darken up after becoming established it means he is in good health.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #8 
kgs1992
New Member
 
kgs1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Thanks everyone for the responses. It was very informative! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Hi, thats a very pretty crowntail! I had a similar looking one but he died a month ago :(. I think a heater is very necessary even in Bombay, all my bettas have one except for the two new guys. I realised this when my first one got fin rot (didn't know much back then) and getting a heater actually stopped the rot, although his fins are really sad looking now! And its not expensive, just 150- 200 bucks. I hope you reconsider :). Water conditioner doesn't do anything about ammonia build up, it is only for removing chlorine from tap water. Frequent water changes are a must, that way the fish acclimates more easily to the clean water because there isn't much ammonia in his tank in the first place. A sudden change from dirty to clean is what causes the shock.
Thanks, I know he's quite cute! :)
Sorry to hear about your crowntail.
And about the heater, I thought it would be expensive, like around 600 to 1k, and that is why I did not want to invest right now. I shall see if I can get something for
200. My conditioner says on the bottle that it neutralises ammonia & nitrate. But I shall still keep up water changes to 20% twice a week and 50% every 2 weeks. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Defiantly need to up the water changes... more frequent smaller water changes should ease your mind and keep the water cleaner but be sure to acclimate them slowly to water changes shouldnt harm the fish at all its the shock in temperature and ammonia levels int he water etc.. As for your boy that is totally normal many fish darken up after becoming established it means he is in good health.
Hey, are the water changes that I stated above sufficient to keep the water clean? And is it ok to leave the fresh water to be added to the bowl out for an hour before adding it in so as to let the temperature even out?
Thanks for letting me know my fish looks healthy, I'm quite relieved! :D
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #9 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Yeah, I get my heaters from Crawford for around 200, you can haggle a bit too. If you want a high end brand like Jager, its expensive but the Chinese ones are pretty cheap. Get a small size though you don't want it taking up all the space lol! They have thermostats so you can set the temp and everything. Even if the conditioner says that it works on ammonia, I highly doubt that the effects would be permanent... Water changes all the way! =D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #10 
kgs1992
New Member
 
kgs1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Yeah, I get my heaters from Crawford for around 200, you can haggle a bit too. If you want a high end brand like Jager, its expensive but the Chinese ones are pretty cheap. Get a small size though you don't want it taking up all the space lol! They have thermostats so you can set the temp and everything. Even if the conditioner says that it works on ammonia, I highly doubt that the effects would be permanent... Water changes all the way! =D
Oh, that's cool, I'll get one when I go that side of town. :)
And yup, as I said, I'll do multiple water changes, but I'll be careful 'cuz I don't wanna end up stressing my fish.
Thanks again for your advice.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
color change, temperature, velvet

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Louies colour change...*pics x lots* Abby Betta Pictures 10 03-17-2011 03:38 PM
HUGE colour change in this hm . animallover4lyfe Betta Pictures 15 12-06-2010 06:57 PM
Is this a colour change or something else? newfiedragon Betta Fish Care 9 09-26-2010 01:45 PM
Colour change Skater101 Betta Pictures 12 07-15-2010 07:24 PM
change of colour johnjohn69 Betta Fish Care 2 02-09-2008 03:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.