Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #11 
Nexangelus

Hm, I've always read that bettas prefer soft, acidic water and have had success breeding them under such conditions. Of course, they're highly adaptable, so I'm sure hard water wouldn't be out of the question. Curious to see what others say.

As for the crayfish, I agree that it's not a smart idea. While it may not be the source of the stress, it's definitely a danger to your betta, especially when it gets older. He'll begin to try and grab fish out of the water as he gets larger (and boy, will he get big) and eventually be successful. They're not as slow as they look and they can extend those claws with breakneck speed. Just a heads up!

Bettafish15, I believe the water is cloudy because it's cycling. I don't think it needs water changes yet. I could be mistaken, but that's my impression from the photos.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

When you have overstocking and poor stocking it is just a matter of time before thing go wrong........

Remember that once you take something from the wild and place it with tropical fish it can never be re-released into the wild or you can risk introduction of tropical pathogen into the ecosystem that the native species don't have resistant or antibodies to fight.......So please respect our ecosystem and destroy and dispose of the crayfish when the time comes.....

Good luck.....pH and hardness is the least of your worries......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #13 
Lion Mom

Speaking of crays - I have a question for future reference.

Can a male betta and a marbled cray (they are the self cloning ones) live together? They aren't NEARLY as aggressive as most crays so I was wondering.

Thanks!

To the OP - IMO, you are REALLY flirting with disaster!!! :( If you INSIST on keeping the cray, I would get him/her a MINIMUM of a 10 gal. tank with lots of filtration and good coverage. They are regular little escape artists.

Last edited by Lion Mom; 06-12-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #14 
bahamut285

Water Chemistry Explained: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595

Let me know if you have further questions!

I am also a little wary of the crayfish. Considering you picked him up from outside, he may have carried along some bacteria, viruses or fungi that could be potentially harmful to your fish.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #15 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion mom View Post
...marbled cray (they are the self cloning ones)...
Really? *INSTANT GOOGLE SEARCH*
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I have been keeping marble crayfish for about 6 years and have yet to be successful keeping them with Bettas.....that long tail is just too tempting for this 5-6in long cray...true the marble crayfish claws are somewhat small and great for tearing apart your excess snails and plants....but they can snap the tail off clean to the caudal peduncle and that can take months to heal.....cool critters none the less...all you need is one and soon you will have 50 or more tiny crays.....
Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #17 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have been keeping marble crayfish for about 6 years and have yet to be successful keeping them with Bettas.....that long tail is just too tempting for this 5-6in long cray...true the marble crayfish claws are somewhat small and great for tearing apart your excess snails and plants....but they can snap the tail off clean to the caudal peduncle and that can take months to heal.....cool critters none the less...all you need is one and soon you will have 50 or more tiny crays.....
Thanks, OFL - just the info I was looking for.

What about with a plakat?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I don't keep PK so not sure...but the crays also snap off both male and female tails so I would say they would be in danger too....and guppies......
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #19 
Lion Mom

Ok - glad I asked BEFORE I tried it. LOL!

Thanks again, OFL!!!

Tags
hardness, optimum, parameters, water