Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #11 
TharBePirates

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
Dang... How much did you spend on all of it? that tank is amazing!
As of yesterday (when I picked up 2 fish) It came up to just under $90.
Tank ($30), Filter ($10), Driftwood ($5), 42 Shrimp ($40), 2 Platies ($3)

Most of the stuff I grew myself or bartered for. Also certain things we had around the house. I sold some plants and that also covered some of the above purchases, so in the end it probably cost me about $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
are you going to hang any moss tiles on the back wall.
Eventually I will. Once the moss has grown I'll do a trim and use that to make more tiles.

Quote:
you don't want to risk any cross-breeding-so important to keep Endlers pure IMO..... I guess I could make a species only tank
Species only tanks for endlers are nice, they're so small they don't need that much space, also you can toss RCS or other shrimps in there and the tank looks really sweet.

Quote:
it didn't cost me very much to setup planted tank...so much of it can be done low cost...especially the lights and substrate....my biggest cost was start-up plants and that wasn't much......when happy they grow really fast and easy to propagate to make your own starts.......and that is what I do too.....I sell a lot of what I breed and propagate so it doesn't cost me much....Endlers and RCS are big sellers too at least IME and corydoras are easy to breed too-do you plan on spawning them for re-sale.
I know! It really didn't cost all that much at all. The plant are growing pretty fast, the najas grass was just little sprigs when I just stuck them in the sand, but I'll be having to trim them in a few weeks. I don't plan on breeding my cories though. I only have two and haven't been able to find any others in local shops, although if these two give me eggs at any point I guess I'll try. The Endlers,RCS and Platies however will definitely be for sale.

Quote:
Do you like the pool filter sand...it looks bigger than play sand...any problems with the corydoras barbels with it...not too sharp...
My cories aren't showing any problems with it at all, It's actually more fine than the flourite in my other tank which they used to be in. I definitely like it better than play sand, it's not too fine. Tomorrow I'll see how it vacuums as I'll be doing a big water change.

[quote=Oldfishlady;689965] in one pic it looked like the tank was sitting on the floor...is it?....[quote]
Lol, no need to worry. It's on my desk, which has a tiled top as I'm a messy artist that needs an easily cleanable surface.

Quote:
Have you thought about using soil/dirt under your sand......I have had great luck with my natural planted tanks and I don't have to use any ferts this way either.....I like that part.....lol.....I do make clay balls to stick in the substrate so I guess you could count that as ferts of sorts...lol....
I thought about it but I move plants around a lot, so I figured it would get mixed with the same and in the end look really messy. I have root tabs, and that helps.

Here's some old pics of the endlers. They're hard to get pictures of.

TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #12 
TharBePirates

Well the tank's doing really well. The only issue I've had is the platy was showing some anxiety as she came from a big school of platies.

I ended up picking up 2 female red tiger platies to keep her company. I'd never seen this strain before, but it's quite nice and unlike any platies I've seen before. The pictures below are similar to the two females I picked up, however my females have black tails, which is quite striking. Also one of them dropped a dozen or so fry when I put her in a temporary tank, which I'm excited about as I'd like to have a larger school of these reds. They look great in the tank. As they were a petstore buy I'm hoping they'll color up with the high quality food they're now getting.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Beautiful Endlers......and what a neat looking Platy...I don't think I have ever seen one marked like that...really cool looking......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #14 
PewPewPew

Wow, she's very nice looking!

(All of it is C; )
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #15 
TharBePirates

Thanks guys!

Hit a slight snag. Caught some fish flashing. My first HUGE fear was the new platies brought something with them, however upon checking the tank the ammonia had gone up between .25 and .50 overnight. Treated the tank with Prime, then did the vacuuming, 50% cool WC and dose of Stability I was going to do anyways. It's my fault for adding so many fish in such a short span. I'm well aware of that.

Wish I had pictures! Perhaps tomorrow. The Najas grass took off since I started Fertz. I trimmed the najas and stuck the tips in the ground so I can have dense thicket of shelter for the fry. Also added some anubias from another tank that was suffering and needed some proper fertz dosing, so hopefully they'll cheer up now that they're getting potassium. Finally, added loose java moss and saubwassertang around the shrimp huts to protect the new Red Tiger fry I have. My female endlers are so furiously hungry I've had a few snap at the newborns.

Speaking of the fish, I now have platy fry that are 5 wks, 2 wks and 2 days old with probably more soon. The 5 wk olds are getting big fast, nearly an inch long now. They're getting to the point where they're not afraid of the other fish and schooling together. I think for the sake of my tank I'll have to give/sell these guys away in a few weeks.

My Endler females are BIG and HUNGRY (feeding them 3-4 times a day). Lots of fry and soon, hence wanting all that dense najas grass. I have 8 females and 5 males and the size of the tank is letting the females have their space (which they seem to appreciate). Once their fry drop chances are I'll be selling some pairs to lighten up the load of babies Ill be constantly getting.

I have decided I need to rehome Jimmy the SAE and my large pond snail. As much as I like them both, and they're definitely pets, I just don't have the space for them and could use a lighter bioload. Jimmy's eventually going to get too big for the tank, as will Snail. I know rehoming a snail is a little strange, and most people grind them up and feed them to the fish, but he's from my first tank and I've really grown attached to him.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #16 
TharBePirates

Jimmy the SAE

They don't hold still, ever.

Shrimp Huts (PVC pipes, some stacked and bound together, all covered in Christmas moss

Platy fry, about 5 wks old

3 day old Red Tiger Platy fry

One of my Red Tigers (this one's markings aren't as clean. She has black freckling and dorsal with black lips, while my other female doesn't)

Gyarados

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #17 
Greenfish

awesome looking tank!!!
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #18 
TharBePirates

No pictures but a quick update-

The najas grass is already growing but the big news is Jimmy the SAE and the snail found a good home. They were just picked up by a guy with a 100 gal tropical tank, so they'll do well there hopefully. I'll miss them, however they needed a big tank with lots of space to roam.

Also today I looked into the tank and found a shrunken endler female. Sure enough in the najas grass- endler fry mingling with some red tiger fry. And so it begins...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your tank and fish are beautiful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote