Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #1 
HD4life

Genetics question

I just found a very pretty green and black, leopard spot male,who was labeled as a DT VT, but I believe he's a DT HM. I think I have read that DT is a recesive gene and both parents have to be carriers to produce DT fry, is that right? I love his coloring but don't care for dt's so if I find a suitable HM female will they mostly turn out as HM fry?
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

They fry should be single tailed, but it is hard to say wether they will be SD or if they will reach HM. That will depend on the male's true spread and the female. If you want to "guarantee" better finnage, get a really nice female with a perfect spread.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #3 
HD4life

I will post a pic of him later. I found an awesome female for him but then I found her father was a DT grrr.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

Ya, you would get some DTs then...
Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

DTHM usually has a HM caudal split in two - lobes may be touching or overlapping. DTVT is usually longer - the lobes look more like ovals and the lobes are separate from each other (when spread the lobes look like a "V").

DT x DT geno will produce mostly DT. But you will also get normal ST and ones with longer dorsal. If it's a rare color/pattern I would go for it and either sell or cull the DT's.

If you want to produce HM, get females with 11 base ray branching and 8 end ray branching. If you use a 4 end ray branching, you will most probably get VT or delta's.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #6 
HD4life

new boys pics

Ok here is his pic, like I said I think his coloring is awesome, his iridesence changes in every light and the lace pattern or leopard spot ( ive heard it called both) is so neat. I know he may not be the best but with the right female is he worth spawning?
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He doesn't look like a DTVT, but more of a delta. Pair him to a nice HM as mentioned above and you should get HM offspring.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #8 
vette91

I guess i can post my question in here, but is there a sticky thread or a website with the details of genetics? I've used a few different search engines searching for it but all the websites are hard to read and the information is very short and not detailed.
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

You really just have to read up on it... Tail types are pretty straight forward but color genetics are not exactly well known, you'll learn more through experience than anything else and you'll always be surprised.

There isn't a thread/sticky that addresses genetics specifically but there are a few websites... If you start a new thread with some specific questions I'm sure the people here will give you their two cents :)

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-14-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #10 
HD4life

ya quit hogging my thread lol jk Genetics are tricky to me, Ive tried reading up and I just get lost in all the technical terms and stuff, I think it might be easier learned by doing, well I mean as long as I follow the basics and dont get to experimental to soon.