Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 
Betta Fish Newbie

Unhappy swim bladder disorder....

i just got my new girl Luna yesterday, seemed a bit bloated... noticed that she just sank and didn't come to the surface (she can't swim upwards).
Im pretty sure its swim bladder disorder, or maybe stress, so today i lowered the water level and she came up for air (so relieved), i've added 1/2 teaspoon extra aquarium salt. Tank is heated as well, but can't be filtered because there is too little water. Taking out the big plant for now, there's just a mug for her to hide in. I haven't fed her anything for the past day because she seemes so bloated...
When do i start feeding her? Any advice/experiences with swim bladder disorder?
Betta Fish Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How id you acclimate her to the new tank, water temp, additives used, how is her behavior otherwise.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #3 
TheCrysCat

wait, extra salt? Like, you put some in every time? I would advise against that, because it make the betta's body "get used to it." Then, when you use it for a disease, it won't work as effectively. It doesn't work as well as a preventative as some originally thought.

Anyway, as for the SBD, I don't AQ salt is going to help that much. You need epsom salt, which helps with swelling. And always remember to acclimate your betta when you use salt, because it raises the pH.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote