Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #61 
ScarlettAngel

Reading your first part of this thread about how this fish was in a plastic cup covered in dust puzzles me. I've seen pictures of these plastic cups on here before, is this how the fish are displayed in store? Or are these cups just for transporting the fish home? We don't see too many Bettas in the UK maybe just the 1 per store, but a male betta is definitely going to be my next purchase along with a new home for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
ScarlettAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #62 
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
They actually smuggle and sell animals like owls, tortoises, macaws etc.. Its in the paper all the time! If they find out that the Bombay SPCA is having a raid they just throw the animals in a bag and out of their shops.. It is so sad!
ugghh!! horrid sub-human trogs! someone needs to stuff them in a little baggie of filthy water and float them in the pacific, show them how it feels. except drop them in the midst of quite live sharks. hungry ones.
wretched beasts.
i embarrassed the PetCo store manager one afternoon.. i collected all the cups containing dead and rotting bettas (i think there were 5 or 6), deposited them at the cash register and waited patiently to be rung up. i didn't actually buy them, but i got my point across. she had a meltdown then and there, but she blamed it on being short-staffed
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #63 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettAngel View Post
Reading your first part of this thread about how this fish was in a plastic cup covered in dust puzzles me. I've seen pictures of these plastic cups on here before, is this how the fish are displayed in store? Or are these cups just for transporting the fish home? We don't see too many Bettas in the UK maybe just the 1 per store, but a male betta is definitely going to be my next purchase along with a new home for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sadly, yes, it's how they display them here in the States. Most places, anyway. They line them up on the shelves, sometimes five deep like they were little more than cans of peas. It's so sad. My girl was in the back so I think she was largely ignored by prospective buyers as few people bother to dig deep. Plus I think the pet stores purposefully put the healthy, colorful ones at the front. I hope you find a betta soon. Be sure to post pics.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #64 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
There are... But they just get bribed. There's this place called Crawford market, its an amazing place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_Market you get everything- food, pets, tech stuff, undies everything. They have an entire pet section of 15 shops. Some of the shops are awesome but some like the one I told you about is disgusting! They actually smuggle and sell animals like owls, tortoises, macaws etc.. Its in the paper all the time! If they find out that the Bombay SPCA is having a raid they just throw the animals in a bag and out of their shops.. It is so sad!
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/jun...ise-mumbai.htm
Oh wow. I've never heard of the Crawford Market, they don't talk about it here in the States. But wow. It's so sad animals are treated like objects. Awww, I hope the Bombay SPCA gets them soon!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #65 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
ugghh!! horrid sub-human trogs! someone needs to stuff them in a little baggie of filthy water and float them in the pacific, show them how it feels. except drop them in the midst of quite live sharks. hungry ones.
wretched beasts.
i embarrassed the PetCo store manager one afternoon.. i collected all the cups containing dead and rotting bettas (i think there were 5 or 6), deposited them at the cash register and waited patiently to be rung up. i didn't actually buy them, but i got my point across. she had a meltdown then and there, but she blamed it on being short-staffed
Whoa, we may have to restrain Echo here . . . except I totally agree. Make it the Atlantic so the water is colder, too. Big sharks. And lots of 'em.

Well, the store manager kinda deserved to be embarrassed. These store managers and employees have GOT to learn that they need to take care of the merchandise. It's inhumane and it's bad business! If I ran a fruit stand and just let all the fruit rot, I wouldn't be making much of a profit 'cause you can't seel rotten fruit. So if you run a pet or fish store and you let the fish die, how are you going to afford to live? Sheesh. It seems like such a basic concept, too. Oh, and did I mention it was INHUMANE???? Grrr.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #66 
ScarlettAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettAngel View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh my god, that is horrific. I don't think they could get away with that over here. That is terrible. I'm upset to hear that. How can people do that. Are all fish sold like that. All the fish stores I have been to over here are dedicated to their fish and they are all displayed in proper tanks etc. I'm glad I don't see some of the sights you see.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #67 
Echo

i have to stop by (ugh) PetCo for catfood today (my cat eats Blue Buffalo.. expensive, but she doesn't throw it up like she does all other catfoods), and i'll take a pic. hopefully i won't have to embarrass the manager again
Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #68 
ScarlettAngel

Thanks Echo, that'll be interesting to see, although may have to have some tissues ready :(
Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #69 
Echo

this is what Roxie came in.. i got her from PetSmart (keep in mind, though, Roxie was a bitty little thing when i got her). there's a small opening in the top for air and food, etc. PetCo's cups are roughly half this size.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #70 
fishman12

Yup, I saw a king in one that was barely half full. A big king. In 2 inches of water stretched over a cup 3 inches in diameter. Inhumane.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese