Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #71 
Tisia

felt the need to compare cups, lol

outer is petco, inner is petsmart. I'd guess they'd probably hold around the same amount of water, just petco's is shorter and wider and petsmart's is taller and thinner
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #72 
Echo

PetSmart has perkier cups
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #73 
fishman12

Haha about the self-control I've owned 1 betta almost 1 year and only had 1 betta. Sadly, he passed last night and I am no longer a fish owner. I'm getting a new betta soon.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #74 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Haha about the self-control I've owned 1 betta almost 1 year and only had 1 betta. Sadly, he passed last night and I am no longer a fish owner. I'm getting a new betta soon.
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your betta. :( But he had a good life in his 10g with 4 aquatic plants. And who knows how old he was before you got him. We want pics as soon as you get a new one.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #75 
Sakura8

ScarlettAngel, I wish they didn't get away with this inhumane treatment over here. :( It's only bettas who are in these cups. Other fish like gouramis and cichlids get tanks which may or may not be kept in good condition. Sadly, a betta's reputation is like a death sentence. That is, the rep that they can live in small, dirty amounts of water and go without food for days. Also the fact that the males can't be housed together is another blow to them; store owners don't want to devote the room to big divided tanks when they can get away with these cups. In reality, the cups aren't so bad for selling them because it IS true they can survive in small amounts of water. What kills the bettas here is the fact that the stores get in 30 of these bettas in their cups and then they're too short-staffed to change the water in all those cups every day like they should. If they changed the water, the bettas would be so much healthier.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #76 
Silverfang

I was at a tiny petstore in the mall here. The males were ok, they were in big plastic cups, like you get at a starbucks, except they had Marineland or something like that stamped on them. The three females in the tiny, what couldn't have been more than a half gallon tank almost made me cry. They were just over an inch long, pale, clamped (it looked painful) and so striped up it was sad.

I'll stop by again tomorrow and actually complain to someone this time, they looked so sad. IF I was going to be here longer than another two months I mighta had the start of a sorority.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #77 
PinkBetta264

i can feel your pain...i did real well the last 12 days while hubby was in town, but on the way back from droppin him off at the airport, I stopped at Petsmart to get a plant and some deco for Dallas's tank (was looking for the light for a 3gal,which they don't carry in the store anymore)..did good there only came out with 2 blue mystery snails, a plant and a coconut shell cave...then stopped at Petco ( I had had my eye on a nice female..but alas she was gone) picked up the puppy food and some algae wafers for my new snails... so on to Pet Supermarket to get some ghost shrimp...AND BAM...there he was a poor little guy in a cup...so small at first I thought it was a female...pale blue and couldn't seem to swim downward. I talked the manager into a 50% disc because I was convinced he had SBD and wouldn't make it...Well brought him home put him in a 1G QT with epsom...gathered up some mosquito larva and did that perk him up. So now I have #6 and my hubby is going to kill me in 8wks when he returns home again. He thinks I should just get the 20G long and divide it and be done with all seprerate quarters!! Little does he know if I do that I'll just BUY more instead of moving all the boys over into one tank!! he he he he!!
PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #78 
Sakura8

Yes, yes, PinkBetta, I like your logic. Divide a 20L AND keep all the separate containers. Well, you held out until the very end, anyway, that's good. And it's sounds like your new guy really needed you. So you didn't give in to the pretty or healthy ones, you opened your heart, home, and wallet to a sick one with great need. It's charity for fish in a way. Yeah, charity. You're opening a rehabilitation facility for bettas, that's all. Maybe your hubby will buy that story.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #79 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I was at a tiny petstore in the mall here. The males were ok, they were in big plastic cups, like you get at a starbucks, except they had Marineland or something like that stamped on them. The three females in the tiny, what couldn't have been more than a half gallon tank almost made me cry. They were just over an inch long, pale, clamped (it looked painful) and so striped up it was sad.

I'll stop by again tomorrow and actually complain to someone this time, they looked so sad. IF I was going to be here longer than another two months I mighta had the start of a sorority.
Three females in a half gallon. *shakes head in despair*

Just by accident I dumped my Petco container into my 4 cup measuring cup that I use to scoop water. The Petco containers that bettas come in hold exactly 2 1/2 cups. That's 20 oz or about the size of medium size drink at a fast food restaurant or the "venti" size at Starbucks for hot drinks. Then take into consideration that the majority of those cups are filled halfway or slightly over. I'd estimate each cup has 16 oz. That's the "grande" size at Starbucks. That's just plain sad. There's more coffee in a cup than there is in a fish's habitat. Boo hiss, Petco!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #80 
PinkBetta264

sorry for poor quality pic..but here is "little boy blue"in his QT( and yeah I have substrate and a plastic plant in the QT..somehow it makes me feel better ;) he seems to be swimming much better now hunting around the substrate for more of those yummy larva...hope he makes it..but take a look at this flippin cup, its smaller than any I've seen at Walmart,Petco and PetsMart!! That bottle is a small 50ml bottle!!
Attached Images

PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese