Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Yup. Soleilvie, you may hear lots of conflicting things about water changes in the future so here's a tip that will help you know which advice to listen to.

You can never have too many water changes.

A betta's best defense against anything is fresh water and lots of it. Someone probably told you that because your tank was cycled you didn't have to change the water much, but that's not true. With a cycled five gallon tank, I'd recommend you change 50% of the water one week and 100% of the water the next week, alternating like that. That is, follow that regimen when your fish is healthy again. For now, follow OFL's advice.

I'm really sorry your fish is so sick now but you're on the right track to being a good betta owner because you're seeking help for your little friend. Everyone here was once a first-time fish owner who made mistakes too, so don't feel bad. Hang in there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

On a filtered tank..I wouldn't make any 100%...not needed especially with an established nitrogen cycle in a 5gal.....water changes on 5gal filtered would be 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Oh yeah, forgot about the nitrogen cycle. Thanks OFL.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #14 
BETTACRADLE

you said :-

How often do you perform a water change? Every few weeks (my tank is cycled)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30

Lol , u cannot change betta tank water Every few weeks even ur tank is 5 gal , I changed mine every 2 days and I am using small vases or jars around 4 litres (1 gallon) jars.

The poor fella looks like hes having some kind of disease, and do u know betta poos are the prime caused for betta fish disease. Let me ask u how do u feel like if I put u in a jar and no change water for u for Every few week and the only thing u get is to smell ur poo all over and all over again for Every few weeks. Will u be sick if u are in the betta situation hah?, lol bettas need to be changed water every 2-3 days, because their poo carries a lot of bacterial. so better u put it in a small container and changes water every 2 -3 days. Your fish will look and feel healthier I guaranteee u that.

Don't listen to what other people say like it's cruel to keep bettas in small containers, I kept mine in small containers but they are all very happy lol cause if u changes water every 2-3 days is like u taking ur pet dog out for a walk in the park, sure they be happy lol.

And by changing water every 2-3 days is like giving them refreshed water , I also put them in a tub where i will move the currents of water with a stick so that they can exercise by swimming against the current lol, For me its healthfy for betta's but for some fish trainers , they training it to have muscles to fight lol, but of course I love bettas and dun fight them , this is just a method of getting bettas live longer lives free from disease lol. Trust me u will see the difference in bettas if u do that
BETTACRADLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #15 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
"The fasted most humane way to euthanize a small fish is also the hardest way for some hobbyist and that is decapitation with a sharp knife......"
"Proper disposal is by burying , burning or wrapping in newspaper and throwing in the trash..."
... I'm blaming you if I have nightmares tonight
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #16 
soleilvie

Well, after moving him to a smaller container and treating the water for 5 days I saw no change. He was still limp and had labored breathing. I moved him back to the tank for a little while because I wanted him to spend his last moments in the home I created for him. He looked so poor and helpless. I did what I thought was best: put him down.

I really do appreciate all the responses I got from this. Thanks for helping me out.

Rest in peace, Vie.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear you lost Vie. :( You did your best and you even gave him the dignity of spending his last days in his own home. My sympathies.