Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Question Feeding after Bad Bloat

so~

my oldest current betta, a 2-3 year old Veil named Cup, recently had a nasty case of bloat. x: it looked like he swallowed a whole marble, and i was fearing the worst for days. i kept constant watch for poops, but kept him as stress free as i could.

well, yesterday, i checked up on him, to see him slimming down! he had a little bitty poo hanging, but other than that, no new poos on the bottom of his tank. so, what the cause was, is a mystery. maybe fishy gas. >3>

well, today, he's almost back down to normal Cup size. but, he's clearly weak. i haven't fed him anything, other than a small pea bit, for nearly a week. Dx would it be okay to feed him a few NLS Grow pellets, even though he's not back to 100% thin Cup size? i don't want another nasty case of bloat like i had, but he's hungry. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #2 
soccerdog693

I don't know if this will help or not, but when I had a betta with severe bloat, I didn't start feeding him normally until he as 100% back to normal. But because I had fasted him for almost a week and the poor guy looked so hungry I fed him daphnia and brine shrimp. I have freeze-dried which I soaked in water first, but frozen works well too. It has fiber and moisture, which helps move things along, and it still has some protein for energy and caloric content. Hope that helps :)
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i don't have, and don't think i can get, daphnia. x: i'd fed him a tiny bit of pea a few days ago, though. Dx i just want my entergetic, always flirting with the ladies Cup back. x: though... he may never be that active again. he mellowed out after an ick attack a few months back. didn't really flirt too much after Freya passed, either. poor boy. x:
Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #4 
soccerdog693

I know they at least have freeze-dried daphnia at all my local pet stores. If you are really worried about it and don't think he can survive another day, you can crush a pellet, soak it in tank water for about 10 min, then try feeding him bits of that. Personally, I would wait for one more poop before feeding him. I don't know how big your pellets are - mine are quite large which is why I wouldn't give a whole one. But by soaking it you at least know it's not going expand in his poor little belly. Pea bits are probably still the next best option though, as long as they aren't salted.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

It is a fine line.....nutrition is so important for a healthy and active immune response....if he is acting hungry and begging for food I would feed him small amounts several times a day......especially in a Betta that is acting his normal self even if the tummy is still large...it may not be bloat...it may be a large/full tummy and some can look bigger than other due to body shape......the enzymes and gastric acid of the fish should break down the food in a reasonable time and by soaking the food first you can leach out all the added nutrients, vitamins, minerals added to the processed foods and not recommended...small frequent meals are better for their digestion process overall....since Bettas or any species of fish have limited exercise and fed processed foods- they can end up with a fatty liver as they age and this can also make the fish appear larger in the stomach...you don't want to starve the fish just because its tummy is big....true bloat-you will see other symptoms along with the enlarged stomach.....poop is a good sign that digestion is happening-their body uses the food with a byproduct of poop...sometime the poop can break down or the fish will disturb it and you may not always see it on the floor of the tank......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 
Luimeril

OFL, if you'd seen Cup just the other day, you'd know what i mean. x: he looked like he swallowed a marble whole. that's not a big tummy in my book. x: it took him days to poo, and when he did, it was a little bit and pale snotty yellow colored. *gag* not the normal browy-reddy like the pellets. he also started pineconing a little. ;A; which upset me to NO end! he was HUUUUUUUUUUGE. like... almost like this one:

x: only blue. and green. and black. Cup-colored. >3> and, for two days, he was floaty. x: he hated the plastic baggy trick this time, though, because he didn't have the energy to bob over to the uncovered side. poor baby. D:
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Like I said...with Bloat you will also have other signs/symptom....along with the enlarged stomach...lethargic, hiding, buoyancy issue, stops eating and pooping, raised scales, total body swells not just the stomach in some cases, gasping, clamping...etc......however, with an extreme enlargement without other symptom...a 3 day fast and then feeding live foods or small amount of high quality processed foods several times a day....you want to keep the digestive process going..its a fine line and judgement call.....if an accidental overfeeding happens you can also do a day or so of QT with Epsom salt 2tsp/gal...sometimes it is the food itself and changing the brand may be needed...some fish can't digest some of the processed foods as well as other fish and you can have pathogenic bacteria multiplying in the gut due to poor quality fish foods especially the protein.....and why a good quality food and varied diet is so important....
Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #8 
Luimeril

yeah, he had alot of that. he was lethargic, often hid in his plant(he doesn't like caves, so he doesn't have any caves), he was floaty, stopped pooping, and day before yesterday, i noticed some raised scales around the biggest area, which was his tummy. x: all my fish have a varied diet, since the pellets i feed are a mix of a few different brands. i wish i had some frozen foods. x-x next trip to the pet store, i may have to buy a pack of frozen blood worms. x: Cup was fasted for nearly five days before i fed him a small sliver of blanched pea, and it wasn't until i fed him that, that i saw any poos. i dunno if his whole body swelled up, i just remember the tummy being HUGE and kinda lumpy. >3> like, not perfectly round. Cup's a dark colored betta, and it's hard to see if his tummy was the only thing swollen, or more than just his tummy. x:

i fed him a little bit a few hours ago. poor boy nearly jumped out of the water to get the pellets. Dx
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

You may want to do Epsom salt 2tsp/gal treatment in QT for 5-10 days- since he is symptomatic and with chronic bloat issues you may want to keep him in low dose Epsom salt 1tsp/gal long term in his main tank...I have one that I have to keep like this but it is more for buoyancy than bloat......
Old 06-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #10 
Luimeril

he's not as badly bloated today. x: he's slowly started going down, and is pretty close to normal today. he's just.... not active. :< i'd have done the Epsom salt treatment a few days back, but it's hard to get stuff around here. >3> not that there's no place to get it, just can't go out and get whatever i need whenever, ya know? Xd