Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

paper weights/decor for a tail-biter

One of my bettas, Finley, is a chronic tail-biter I try to make his tank really fun for him so that he'll be too busy to even think about taking a chomp out of his tail. it seems to be working pretty well, he's letting his rays grow out a little now (he's a crown tail). Anyways, there's an antique store in my town that has TONS of paper weights like this one:

if i get one of these, and rinse it really well in scalding hot water, will it be safe to use it in his tank?? I think it would be really cool, and it would be something new and interesting for him to explore!

Also, here's a picture of his current set-up. if anyone else has any decor ideas, or tips to cut down on his tail biting, i'd really appreciate it =)

And here's a picture of Finley, just for fun i think he's quite handsome with or without his rays, but it would be nice if he would let them grow back in completely .

Last edited by Indyfishy; 06-14-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

They should be fine, just rinse rinse rinse.

As for the tailbiting, hes got a good set-up as is. Unfortunately, many tailbiters are just plain neurotic and will continue to bite. :(
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Yay! i'm glad that the paper weights will be ok, i figured they would be but i wanted to make sure before i added any to my tank! they have all sizes and colors of them at the antique store, and most of them are around $2 I definitely don't expect Finley to completely stop tail-biting, but now that i have been switching around his decor a little every time i change his water he has atleast stopped taking out huge chunks i guess he thinks he looks better as a delta tail lol
Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #4 
pinksnowme

Indy fish That is such a cool idea. My dad has several antique paper weights. I may have to borrow your idea. He is a retired Betta lover too. He is donating his tanks to me. I think he would be spitting happy to see some of his paper weights put to such fine use!
Today hubby rolled a marble around on the table in front of our Blizzard. He loved it!
I have some little plastic floaty toys in his tank too but he hasnt paid them much attention since they are not food LOL
Please post pictures of the tank set up with the new paperweights. Hey try setting the paper weight in front of the tank to see which one your fish might like better ;)
pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

That's so awesome that your dad is giving you his tanks!!!!! I'm so jealous lol! That's soooo cute that your fish likes marbles rolled for him =D I'll definitely be picking up a few paper weights in the coming weeks, and i will surely post pictures!!! i saw some last week but the only one i really liked was hollow, and i was afraid of it floating in the tank XP
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #6 
pinksnowme

IndyFish? Is that the same Betta in your avatar? I love that one very peaceful looking
pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 
LeroyTheBetta

Those paperweights are a great idea! I'm always looking for little things for the tanks when I go to second hand shops around here.... gotta think outside of the box a lot of times for ideas.

What part of Indiana are you from? I'm from up north on the lake.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #8 
Indyfishy

pinksnowme, That's actually my other betta, Vincent! He's my little old man fish, he's three years old! He's such a sweetie, i love him dearly ♥ The fish in your avatar is gorgeous, what a beautiful pure white! He looks like a lovely little fellow! =D

LeroyTheBetta: I'm from Noblesville =D What lake are you refering to???? Your betta is really cute, by the way, i love his blue dorsal fin!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #9 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
LeroyTheBetta: I'm from Noblesville =D What lake are you refering to???? Your betta is really cute, by the way, i love his blue dorsal fin!
What lake up north am I referring to?? lol Lake Michigan, of course! :)

And thanks.... my avatar photo is of Leroy, who passed away recently. He looked spectacular in photos, the light of the flash really brought out the irridescence in his fins! Here's one of my favorite photos of him:

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=14267
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #10 
Indyfishy

lol i figured you were talking about Lake Michigan, but i just wanted to be sure XD i've never been there myself! Awwww I'm so sorry for your loss, he was beautiful!! How long did you have him??