Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #1 
danolunchbox

New aquarium advice :)

I currently have a betta named Charles (after Charles Barkley) in a small bowl and want to upgrade him into the nice aquarium he deserves! Here's what I am looking to do--I need all the advice I can get! I am also interested in keeping live plants/aquascaping in his tank.

Looking to go for a 3-8 gallon tank--any suggestions? I've seen a lot of the all-in one's (like the marineland eclipse series, fluval spec or flora kit, ada garden mini cube)...not sure what's the best to get? An all-in-one kit or building one from scratch?

If I build from scratch what are the best filters for bettas?

Lighting? Best for keeping live plants?

I'll start there--any advice would be much appreciated!
danolunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolunchbox View Post
I currently have a betta named Charles (after Charles Barkley) in a small bowl and want to upgrade him into the nice aquarium he deserves! Here's what I am looking to do--I need all the advice I can get! I am also interested in keeping live plants/aquascaping in his tank.

Looking to go for a 3-8 gallon tank--any suggestions? I've seen a lot of the all-in one's (like the marineland eclipse series, fluval spec or flora kit, ada garden mini cube)...not sure what's the best to get? An all-in-one kit or building one from scratch?

If I build from scratch what are the best filters for bettas?

Lighting? Best for keeping live plants?

I'll start there--any advice would be much appreciated!
That sounds like fun!!! I loooveee getting new tanks, its so exciting.

Personally, Im gonna suggest a kit. Because in the end, admittedly, youre probably gonna have to baffle the filter anyway, hah!

All the ones you noted are great. I personally own a 5 gallon hex from Marineland (which holds more like 6+ gallons), and its great, IMO. It has a good filter, which cycles like a CHAMPION. Ohhh, it takes me like a week. Whhattttt! Its also pretty and looks really cool when in a place that can be looked at from all sides (like, say, you had it on an island in the kitchen or something), minus the cords.

I also have a 5 gallon Aquaculture tank from walmart, which is an ok tank. To be honest, while much cheaper than an eclipse or whatever, you get what you pay for with it. Still recommended, though.

The fluvals look COOOOLLLLL! Ive never owned one, but bah, I want one badly.

Id say out of what you mentioned for tanks, theyre all good- just pick now what you like the look of.

Live plants are fun, they really are. They also help to clean your tank, keep it healthy and help it cycle (which I suggest you do! :D) I made a thread on easier-care ones here ( http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67565), which has good plants for those new to them.
How familiar are you with plants? I can suggest less-easy ones than those suggested (as can other members), but it depends on your comfort level and expected tank capabilities, like if you get cO2, etc :)

For lighting, aim to get CFL/Florescent lighting. Incandescent ( yellowy ones) arent great for plant growth. When looking for a light, its important to know what the hood can handle, so pay attention if it says "Under xxx watts" or "Tubular lights only", as this is important, because they could burst. Aim for 6500K+ bulbs for best growth.
I personally recommend a brand called "Lights of America", which sells great $5ish bulbs in the pet section of walmart. They are 10w and 6500K, which is fantastic. I have them in both of my Planted tanks!

As for the scaping, that's SOOO fun! Enjoy it! Try looking for a nice center piece like driftwood (try Malaysian driftwood or Mopani woods) to grow mosses on or swim through :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I have a 5 gallon marineland tank. It's a nice tank that comes with lIGHT and bio wheel filter but what i HATE is that it's a hexagon. It makes it harder to watch the fish because of the odd angle distortion.

If you are on a budget, you can get a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper. I like them because they are longer but not so deep.

Personally I like the smaller tank better, mainly because I can lift the kritter keeper to empty out the water.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-16-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 
danolunchbox

Thank you guys for your advice!

I liked the look of the Marineland hex, but I am unsure about the amount of space at the bottom for aquascaping--since is more tall than wide.

I am really drawn to the fluval flora kit because I like the look of it and it seems to come with everything I need to start planting (including some tools). At this point it comes down to looks and materials...I will have to decide!

I'll definitely post pictures when I get my tank and start the set up! My betta will be much happier!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #5 
n3wport

I agree with pewpewpew, but the kit I got the filter doesnt need to be baffled! I just put some big plants under where the water falls so it breaks it up a bit. I got the Aqueon 5 gallon. "Mini Bow Desktop Kit. They are at petcos and petsmarts for around 45 dollars, sometimes a little more, and they are on sale alot with your card. I bought the same brand only in a 2.5 gallon and the filter was much more powerful, probably because its a smaller amount of water. I think you can't go wrong with the 5 gallon! plus its more long than tall so its good on space cause my betta would rather swim across than up and down!

cuteeeeeeeee

Last edited by n3wport; 06-16-2011 at 01:39 PM.
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #6 
fishman12

Good luck!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #7 
danolunchbox

@n3wport

Ooo that looks nice too!

So many decisions to make! I like the idea of spending less money that's for sure...I'll have to think about this!

Thanks! :)