Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 
Echo

Question bamboo?

so i've seen bamboo in pet store tanks, and i have bamboo in one of my own tanks (i had an african dwarf frog that loved perching on the curly bamboo i had set in a corner).. but are they ok in the long run? Simon's a bit touchy about his filter fluffing up his fins, and i wanted to use some taller bamboo to divert some of the flow.. but i know they're not a strictly aquatic plant (stick, whatever). opinions?
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #2 
TheCrysCat

Are you talking about the actual bamboo plant, or lucky bamboo? Unless you live in Asia, it's probably lucky bamboo, and yes, it's not aquatic. You can have the plant's bottom submerged, just as long as the leaves are in the air.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #3 
Echo

yep the lucky bamboo. the ones i have are completely submerged, and the leaves are doing fine.. i just wasn't sure if they were toxic long-term. Roxie likes them, and often nestles in them, so if they're going to hurt her i want to find something else.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
TheCrysCat

Well, they're supposed to stay above water because eventually they'll suffocate and rot. It won't happen right away, but that's the case with a lot of so-called "aquatic plants" that Petco sells. They're fine for a while, and then... You'd be better off getting something else for her to rest on.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #5 
Echo

yeesh, i don't buy any of that <censored> petco sells. the one time i did (i was very naiive), it was infested with snails and i ended up pitching everything in the rubbish bin. i purchased the bamboo from an import shop i work at part-time.. we get it directly from the greenhouses in Washington state who won't even ship it if the temperature between us and them isn't perfect. i made sure to clean every centimeter with clean, dechlorinated water and soak each piece for at least two days before i added them to the tank. they've been in there for three months now, but you're right. i'll reposition them so the leaves are out of the water and i'll get her a betta hammock
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #6 
TheCrysCat

You might be better off just getting her a fake plant and positioning it near the top of the water. The betta hammocks have a piece of metal in them, and there was a person on here a while back whose betta got her belly ripped open. I have the fake plants and they seem to be working out really well.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 
Echo

OWWWW OWWIE OWWWWIIEEOWIE!!!! EEGADS! three of my tanks have those!! oh HELLSNO!! they are coming out!!! *squirms* OOOWWWWWW!!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
TheCrysCat

You could try putting aquarium sealant on where the metal things could pop out. That would stop it.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #9 
Echo

i'd rather risk the bamboo leaves now LOL
nope, they're going. work's slow, i'm gonna peruse amazon.com
Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 
TheCrysCat

I got my plants at petco; they were fairly cheap and work well.