Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #11 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I'm not talking about making them stop selling bettas...I'm talking about shopping there at all. But to answer that, see my above comment. If they get money, from any product, they profit and continue to do whatever they want. So far, that includes selling bettas in horrible conditions and offering cheap products to people so they have no other options. Walmart can afford to downsell all their competition until no one is left.

Luimeril, that's why there are no other options, by the way. Walmart can afford to keep prices so low that they run all local businesses and many other, smaller chains, into the ground. It's not a sustainable economic solution and doesn't support a healthy economy, even short term.
Hey! Stop talking like your the big cheese. We love our betta's yes but not stopping to shop at WalMart is like telling me: "Give up your anime." Not possible and not practical. WalMart is one place I can buy my favorite book series for a decent price and buy in bulk. I don't buy pocky anymore from them after Five Below opened but it's impossible.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone but I don't like it when people say to us we should stop doing something and make it difficult on ourselves even though some multi-million corporation won't suffer at all. All we can do is care for our betta's, stand for what's right and give those idiot employee's absolute hell.

My mom wants to give the woman who was a total rude brute to me hell and wants to make them get the fact that we lost our baby girl Maka thanks to their negligence. They let her get infested. They inavertantly caused her demise. I loved Maka so much but I can't just stop shopping there. Think before you post please. You might end up ticking more people off.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #12 
Burd

Arashi, there's about a million reasons I could give you not to shop at wal-mart. The way they treat bettas is about 786,341 on that list. Yes, wal-mart has cheap prices and makes your one life seem a bit easier.. but at what expense? That's all GreenTea was trying to say. I don't think he/she was acting like a 'big cheese' or anything... Just trying to make a point.

And just for the record, while I'm not going to ram my opposition to wal-mart down anyone's throat, there's a ton of big chain stores that are far more legitimate than wal-mart where I shop that prices really aren't that bad. Target, giant, etc.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #13 
elijahfeathers

Wow some debate that sparked up here. I'm not saying walmart is great or anything guys. I'm just saying I went in, and I was really happy to see an actual tank that was 2.5 gallons in size being sold SPECIFICALLY as a BETTA TANK. I just thought it was kinda cool, as I've never seen a tank of that size marketed for bettas before-- normally in big stores I only see betta bowls and the small, glitzy containers for them.

Anyway, as far as why walmart is evil, bettas and how they're treated are pretty low on my list. Walmart wins a lot of my purchases because I don't have to spend $40 in gas to get to them-- and honestly it's why it wins a LOT of people's purchases (and that and their bulk buying and ability go lower than other stores' prices kills off a lot of small shops, but that's a whole 'nother debate all together.) This isn't a thread about weather walmart is right or wrong, but I think it's pretty low of your to dig up a post that hasn't received attention just to call me out for 'supporting' walmart's evil betta habits. By buying a fish tank.

I just thought it was cool so see a decent sized tank marketed toward bettas. As you know, opposed to goldfish. x_x Which most of walmart's tanks those size are. In fact, when I saw it, I even thought to myself maybe all the calls to them about the conditions and requirements had learned them a little, and so they decided to add something that fit those to their stock.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #14 
bettafish15

Well, GreenTea, I'm not gonna stop shopping at wal-mart because some other wal-mart sells bettas. :/ But anyways, super glad you were able to find a kit for sale, for a betta no less Elijah! :D I'm glad it's not just a 1g.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #15 
GienahClarette

I'm glad that you found a good-sized kit for bettas, Elijah. Hopefully those will start popping up in other stores as well! It would be way better to see those than those pitiful 'zen' betta kits that can't be even .5 gallons.

GreenTea raises good points about the economics of this. I'll shop anywhere else before I go to a Walmart. I refuse to support a megacorp that treats its employees as terrible as Walmart does, and I'll gladly pay an extra few bucks to do so. And I live below the poverty line.

I think you're taking this a little too personally, Arashi. I don't think GreenTea was attacking anyone or trying to ram anything down anyone's throats, and you're flaring quite a bit in response. I'm a bit aggressive and high-strung myself, but things are getting ridiculous on this forum lately.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #16 
GreenTea

Arashi, being correct doesn't make me think I'm better than you. And there is always another choice. Like I said, convenience doesn't equal no choice and youre supporting ideas with your money. I'm not judging you for it, but to deny that because you don't like it is silly. If it make you uncomfortable, that's probably a good indicator that you don't agree with it either. I don't think and am not saying you're a bad person.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #17 
GreenTea

This thread was recommended by another thread, I didn't "dig it up," just so you know.

I'm not judging anyone, this seemed to inflame some people. I don't believe people are this forum are ignorant, or "bad" people, so I am constantly surprised at the amount who spend their hard earned money at walmart. It makes me wonder if they know how those economics work or how walmart treats their employees, animals, etc. If they do and they continue to shop there that's fine, it's a mostly free country. But if they dont know...I think they should so they can make an informed decision, you know? I am letting people know it's not a harmless cycle.

Costco or Target have cheap stuff too! That's where I go, or I buy from people on ebay or amazing. Many times on amazon, things are much less than in store. check there! I am also a poor student, but I don't mind being broke for the right reasons.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #18 
Luimeril

why can't i shop online? uuhh.... no way to. x: i can browse sites all i want, but without money in my paypal, or a verified paypal, i can't shop. i agree that walmart's one of the biggest places out there, and that they do tend to run smaller stores away, but they're not the lowest. not by far. i've found items way cheaper at other places. their pet supplies are a good example. shoot, their bettas are a good example!

for Remy, who was a veil i tried to save, i payed $5. that's $4.something with tax. if i'd bought a veil at the pet store i buy all my bettas from, i'd pay about $0.50 less, or so(i'm horrid at math). their crowns, i'd pay nearly $9 at walmart, at the pet store? same price as veil. their tanks, i paid a little over $20 for the 1.5 i have Caroline in. at another store, i'd pay a few bux less.

walmart is NOT cheap. but, often times, they're all you can do. other stores are too far to drive, or just aren't around here(we only have Walmart, a crappy pet store that has almost NO items for fish and caters to mostly dogs, Pet Lovers. PetSamart and PetCo are both almost an hour away), or is the only place to buy an item. as much as i dislike their care of fish, the fish aren't what makes them the big money. it's everything else. the DVDs, the clothes, the plants, ect. pets and pet care items, are pretty low on what gets them money.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #19 
bettafreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luimeril View Post
why can't i shop online? Uuhh.... No way to. X: I can browse sites all i want, but without money in my paypal, or a verified paypal, i can't shop. I agree that walmart's one of the biggest places out there, and that they do tend to run smaller stores away, but they're not the lowest. Not by far. I've found items way cheaper at other places. Their pet supplies are a good example. Shoot, their bettas are a good example!

For remy, who was a veil i tried to save, i payed $5. That's $4.something with tax. If i'd bought a veil at the pet store i buy all my bettas from, i'd pay about $0.50 less, or so(i'm horrid at math). Their crowns, i'd pay nearly $9 at walmart, at the pet store? Same price as veil. Their tanks, i paid a little over $20 for the 1.5 i have caroline in. At another store, i'd pay a few bux less.
Walmart is not cheap. But, often times, they're all you can do. Other stores are too far to drive, or just aren't around here(we only have walmart, a crappy pet store that has almost no items for fish and caters to mostly dogs, pet lovers. Petsamart and petco are both almost an hour away), or is the only place to buy an item. As much as i dislike their care of fish, the fish aren't what makes them the big money. It's everything else. The dvds, the clothes, the plants, ect. Pets and pet care items, are pretty low on what gets them money.
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000!
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #20 
Arashi Takamine

Rereading my post I realize I was being a total flarer but I think I have a right to my opinion. I'm trying to be realistic. The way you said those things irritated me and I admit it was late at night when I posted and I was exhausted. I admit I was flaring quite a bit but...I think the things you said were a bit uncalled for. Yes I know it supports WalMart who have fish but I'm seeing it as this: Will a multi-million dollar corporation stop selling something because a small number go out of their way to stop shopping there? No.

I don't see it as realistic because if your in a certian area and other stores are too far out why waste the gas? Gas prices are ridiculous these days.

I'm sorry.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote