Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 
jackals

OMG what happened... Chunk of my Betta missing.. Bacteria popped?

Hi everyone,

I am shaking as I write this. For a while my betta had a spot on the top of his fin that was white.. looked like bacteria or fungus... it was a spot. It looked like it was going to "pop" or come off the other day..

I just went downstairs and this is what it looks like. He also seems to have lost some color on his body/fins. I just fed him a pellet and he ate it quickly.

Ok when I first noticed it it was black and a little little smaller:

Then it got white and has been white for a while (3-4 weeks or so)

Then the other day it looked like it was pussing or like trying to "pop".

Then just went downstairs and snapped these pics:

jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Look up Lymphocystis and see if that fits what you are seeing....that is what it will do when its runs its course or it could have been a parasite...either way I would vacuum really good to get any cysts or eggs out of the tank to limit re-infestation.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #3 
jackals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Look up Lymphocystis and see if that fits what you are seeing....that is what it will do when its runs its course or it could have been a parasite...either way I would vacuum really good to get any cysts or eggs out of the tank to limit re-infestation.....

Hi OFL,

Thanks for your post. I googled Lymphocystisand betta together and some of the pics, yes it resembles it.

He is lacking color at the end of his fins, and well now it seems as if the thing is gone, the piece of him is off as you see, but no more white ***** thing.

What do I do? QT him or is he ok in the tank? Any treatments you recommend?

I don't know what to do, I feel horrible for him.

I have AQ salt, Epsom salt, and betta spa at my disposal. Along with BettaFix from petco.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since its a virus not really any treatment, however, with open wounds you risk a secondary infection....I would go ahead and start a 10 day aquarium salt 2tsp/gal treatment on him in QT along with 100% daily water changes.....be sure and keep the water temp on the low side...76-77F range to keep the bad bacteria that is normally in the water from multiplying too fast.....good luck and keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #5 
jackals

Ok, just got him set up in his QT bowl wiht 2 tsp aq salt, and betta spa tannins along with Prime water condition (he is in a 1gallon). I did right measurements.

He seems quite lethargic, and also didn't eat tonight. I dropped a pellet right in front of him and he just let it drop :(

when i transferred him from his tank to the qt bowl he did put up a fight and was squirming in the net for the 1 second he was not in water.

Anyways, the area thats missing fin/skin or whatever you call it, is red/bloody looking. VERY small traces of what I guess are blood, he isn't bleeding, its just there from when I guess the cyst thing came off.

Anything for me to do, or just keep up what I am doing?

100% water change tomorrow night. Temp is set to like 75 degrees as recommended. Should I feed him 2 or 3 NL pellets at each feeding? Is it better to see if he will eat more or keep his food in lesser amounts?