Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #1 
HD4life

Spawn log number 2!

I have been conditioning my betta's for a little longer than a week and decided to pair up Kol and Pixi, she spent the day in his tank ( in her jar of course) and when I got home this evening they were both frantically trying to get at each other, I figured with her very dark bars and egg spot showing she was ready, I kid you not, within a minute of letting her out she swam to him and they embraced. I was very pleased since they are both first timers. I was able to watch all but 5 minutes of them spawning and I counted 385 eggs put in the nest, Pixi helped put eggs in the nest too, I dont think she ate any of them. Im excited! With a week old spawn doing really well I have high hopes for this one too. I have a feeling we will have some beautiful colors out of this pair. I will update with spawning pics when I can.
Attached Images

HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Congrats.....its fun isn't it...laffs....a bit addictive too...lol.......I have had 100's of spawns and I still love to watch them spawn.......and as odd as this sounds..... I love to watch the fry eat...the way they cock their little head when they see the food-hunt it down and then strike gulping down food that is often bigger than they are and see the tummy change colors and get round....I am easily entertained...laffs......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 
HD4life

It totally is, I love it. I sit and watch my fry for an hour at a time lol. I enjoy watching them grow and laugh when they try and eat things almost as big as them. I have been trying to count how many week old fry I have because they are bigger and easier to see now but they are just to busy now lol. For my new spawn Kol is being a good daddy as well, keeping up his nest, but fairly relaxed about it. Chester was so frantic moving them around constantly. I think thats what makes it so interesting, because even tho you have spawned before there is going to be something different about this one. I love how betta's really do have personalities.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Wow this sounds so exciting! So the fry are a week old? What are you feeding them? 385 is a huge number! Wow that is really cool. They must have been embracing for hours.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

They do love to keep us on our toes...laffs.....some spawns can be different from spawn to spawn even with the same pair.......as they mature it seems that some change and other don't....the ever changing personalities...unique and sometime unpredictable....laffs.....gotta love-em......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 
HD4life

@ bettalover this pair in the pics spawned just yesterday, they have not hatched yet, I also have a CT week old spawn I was mentioning. It is very exciting tho, 2 spawns 2 strains and a huge variety of possibilities :)

@ OFL I'm really enjoying my betta's, I always have. Unfortunately my greeting new fry is met by saying good bye to one of my females :( She jumped out of a cup i had her in during a water change, i didnt find her til it was to late. I can't help but think one life lost is worth a possible 300 or more. She was so pretty though.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #7 
HD4life

My fry are feed micro worms once they are free swimming and then I introduce BBS around a week old. They have accepted both really well as introduced but I know there are varying oppinions on what and when to feed. This next spawn may be different but Im sure I can always make adjustments if needed.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4life View Post
@ bettalover this pair in the pics spawned just yesterday, they have not hatched yet, I also have a CT week old spawn I was mentioning. It is very exciting tho, 2 spawns 2 strains and a huge variety of possibilities :)

@ OFL I'm really enjoying my betta's, I always have. Unfortunately my greeting new fry is met by saying good bye to one of my females :( She jumped out of a cup i had her in during a water change, i didnt find her til it was to late. I can't help but think one life lost is worth a possible 300 or more. She was so pretty though.
Im sure it is exciting because i can just imagine how it feels to know that because of you, more beautiful fish are brought into the world.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #9 
HD4life

Most are hatched today, daddy is still doing a good job. Will be keeping an eye for free swimming tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Even if they are free swimming tomorrow, i would leave him in there one more whole day just to be safe that they are ALL free swimming.