Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #11 
Larsa

I know how to condition Iol. I wish there was a more clear sign their eggs are ready. Good thing this female is very care free about other bettas. I just wanted the two to say hi for a few mins :) I wanted Ryu to see her so he can get his groove on a lil. He already made a bubblenest in his own tank since they met. Im preparing the spawning tank and cultures at the moment.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #12 
Larsa

**set up the tank as in prepare it for spawning next month!! Gotta grow my live plants and then start my food cultures in a few weeks ;P Id never breed them too soon! Makin' it as natural as possible for the lovely couple with almond leaves and all that!

I named the new girl Amaya, thats for the positive comments and suggestions :B
Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #13 
bettalover2033

Are you going to condition the female?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

bettalover2033- from the sounds of it, she is going to condition the female.

Larsa- a female that is properly conditioned is always ready to breed since they always have eggs. That does not mean she is willing to breed, but she is physically capable of breeding. The only time they don't have eggs is when they drop them during spawning (or due to a failed spawning) and then they have eggs again 10 days later. Their eggs ripen when they sense the hormones of a spawn ready male-it can only take a few minutes and happens while they are in the spawning tank together. Don't worry, your girl has eggs. Just prepare her right and if she is willing to spawn, she will.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #15 
Larsa

Yes thank you I am conditioning her and in a few weeks we will see if she wants to or not : ) I should prolly condition my other CT for back- up. I have live brine shrimp, bloodworms, and daphnia for lots of protien! Also doing a few extra water changes and live plants for her comfort.

This is out there, but when I first got her I tried to see if she would eat anything else besides live or freeze dried. Petco fed her only bloodworms... :/ Any NLS I try she spits it out along with any other brand pellet food. Shes a stubburn lil one LOL.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
I got a blue crowntail female today who is healthy and sorta care-free. Id like her to breed with Ryu, who made a thick bubblenest before I got her. When I introduced the pair I put her in a glass cylinder in his tank. She doesnt show any lines on her body, vertical or horizontal. She ocassionally flares her gills at Ryu while he shimmies at her. Then she swims away. Its like she doesnt care LOL. Ryu stayes in one corner of his tank like hes scared or shy.

Is there any hope she will lossen up a bit and wanna mate w/ Ryu???

All my females dont wanna mate except Sakura (veiltail) : she shows vertical lines and tilts her head down. However, im scared the fry would be ugly or undesirable.
Since you're planning to breed her next month, I wouldn't worry too much. Let her "rest" in her solitary during the conditioning period. When you're ready to breed them, let them see each other and watch how she reacts. If she isn't in a spawning mood, take her out and float her in a sorority or let her flare to another female for a long time. Then rest her for a day or two in a dark place. Then float her in the breeding tank (with the male loose) and see if she's willing to breed (she should by now). If she still isn't responding, try reducing her water .... say 30% and refill with water containing the male's hormones. And introduce them again the following day.

note : I'm guessing you know enough about their body language - the difference between wanting to fight and wanting to spawn/flirt swimming.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #17 
DarkMoon17

That's interesting Indjo, I've never considered having them flare at another female to get them more interested in breeding. I might try that sometime.

Larsa-You should really get her to eat a pellet food. They are fortified with the types of nutrients you won't be able to supplement with just frozen foods and live brine shrimp. You can try soaking the pellets in thawed blood worms at first to see if she'll eat them or try other pellets. I've never had one turn down Atison's Betta Pro, they love it.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #18 
Larsa

i have actually tried hiding a tiny NLS pellet in a freeze dried bloodworm but shes too smart for that. I need her to learn how to eat pellets because not only does she lack nutrients but feeding too much freeze dried foods can cause constipation. Someone on another site said to starve bettas for 3 days and then feed them pellets but that seems too cruel for me too do...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #19 
DarkMoon17

I thought you were feeding her frozen foods. I hope you weren't planning on conditioning her with freeze dried foods, that's a no no.

You need her to eat pellets during conditioning so she can get those essential vitamins for the eggs. Try fasting her for 2 days or so then offer her some pellets. If she eats those, then you can start conditioning her; pellets in the AM, frozen/live food in the PM or vise versa.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #20 
Larsa

nooo im feeding her live food not freeze dried for conditioning- the brine shrimp and daphnia. right now she wont eat anything else besides freeze dried bloodworms cuz of petco. :/ I reaaalllyy want her to eat pellets, trust me im trying! My pellets are 50% protien so I really want her to eat them. XD Im scared to starve her for a few days, it feels mean even though its totally nessesary lolz.