Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #1 
cajunamy
Banned

Petsmart :(

I love my petsmart except for ONE aspect. They take great care of their fish, keep all the tanks clean, any dead ones are promptl scooped out, I never see any disease in the tanks.

But.

They just don't take care of the bettas. There were at least 50 cups, it seems no one buys bettas there, whenever I'm there there are a ton.

Well, about a week and a half ago I was eyeing this cute little girl, she was so tiny she could only be about 3 months old. Otherwise she looked ok.

I was back today and she was still there. I don't understand why b/c she's is the cutest little thing. Cello looking body, and purple or blue fins. She looked even worse, like she hadn't been fed in awhile and of course in filthy water. I had to take her. Normally I don't buy from there b/c they don't care for them, but I had to make this exception.

I also picked up a cool looking dude, cello looking with orange dalmatian spotting. I'mnot sure of their colors yet b/c they are still getting used to the place and all. I have them in my water change tub (heated water) in jars. Pics will come tomorrow!
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #2 
JamesJr8

That is great that you took some! I would ask to speak with the manager and tell him that their water should be changed daily, with conditioner, plus fed. Then tell him that if conditions do not improve within a week, that you will be contacting PETA. Of course you may no, but the threat should be enough!
JamesJr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Never.Go.To.The.PETA. They are total pet killers.

Glad you saved the little girl and the male. They both sound lovely.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Never.Go.To.The.PETA. They are total pet killers.

Glad you saved the little girl and the male. They both sound lovely.
So very true, Arashi. PETA are radical troublemakers. They don't bother to educate themselves about 90% of the causes they get mad about so they are usually wrong. The only thing they're ever right about is pets should be spayed and neutered. Instead, threaten to go to the Humane Society or the SPCA. Both of those are actually reputable organizations.

cajunamy, can't wait to see pictures. The little girl sounds so cute and the male sounds like he'll have very interesting coloring.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 
Tahki

I flinch every time I hear about another Petsmart being lowsy in the Petcare department. I'm glad the little bettas got a good home. They'll be much happier with you lol. I can't tell you how many times during my shift that I have to whip out the old betta education on customers who want to keep them in tiny vases or the most asked question "why can't I have two males?". D: Thankfully we change their water and feed them everyday at my store.

My manager is very strict about everything being clean and every animal treated. Definitely bug the petcare manager. It's their job to make sure the employees are cleaning the betta cups. Also make the store manager aware so they can bug them too.
Tahki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahki View Post
I flinch every time I hear about another Petsmart being lowsy in the Petcare department. I'm glad the little bettas got a good home. They'll be much happier with you lol. I can't tell you how many times during my shift that I have to whip out the old betta education on customers who want to keep them in tiny vases or the most asked question "why can't I have two males?". D: Thankfully we change their water and feed them everyday at my store.

My manager is very strict about everything being clean and every animal treated. Definitely bug the petcare manager. It's their job to make sure the employees are cleaning the betta cups. Also make the store manager aware so they can bug them too.
Can we clone you, Tahki? Every Petsmart (and Petco and Wal-Mart for that matter) needs someone like you.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #7 
Tahki

XD Sure and thanks! My manager declared me the "Betta/Rat Queen" of the department. Anyone has a question about bettas, they page me. Wait does cloning me make my betta addiction worse? I already snuck home another betta tonight (I so don't hide my favorites in the back). I can't do the fish orders anymore. I get to see all the new bettas and...the addiction..gah!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Uhm, sorry, it probably does make the addiction worse. Uhm, what can I say but "store discount" on tanks? Hehe, your membership form for Bettas Anonymous will be in the mail soon.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #9 
Tahki

Curses, my roommate for college is going to kill me. I'm gonna move in with 30 tanks at this point. Store discounts are evil. I've been eying a few 5 gallon tanks that went on sale for Pallas and Atlas D:. Wooo I'm a perfect member for it!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #10 
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
PETA are radical troublemakers. They don't bother to educate themselves about 90% of the causes they get mad about so they are usually wrong.
*giggles* know what PETA wanted one of our local schools to do? they promised 'em lots of money if the city council would change the name from Spearfish Elementary to Seakitten Elementary (because spearing fish is a bad thing, doncha know? and by golly, what kind of impression would that leave on our poor, innocent chilluns?)
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote