Betta Fish Forum banner

High levels of ammonia = Very fast plant growth for slow growing plants

860 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hello!
I haven't been on in a while. Haha...
I'm sure it's probably been told, it's of course known that plants eat ammonia and it helps them grow.
Something I found out though, is that very high levels of ammonia helps a slow growing plant grow really fast!
I have a java fern, I have only gotten 2 baby plant leaves grow at the end of there leaves over a long period of time. Those are still small and one I believe was eaten by my betta (lol).
I took one of their homes aside for a while, leaving just the plants in and left over poo from my snail and other debree (left over indian almond leaves). I let it sit a while just because I didn't feel like cleaning it.
Well after 2 weeks I decided to clean it and use it again for my pets, but I noticed my java fern grew insanely fast!!!
It has like 5 (five!!! Actually maybe 8, but that might be part of the same one) new plants growing off it including the roots of them!
Some of them are alot longer than the 2 I had in the beginning.
I believe I shall be keeping the java fern with my mystery snail to keep up it's growth.
It has also been in lower water temps because I had the heater with my betta, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Just thought i'd share this!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.