Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #1 
Kwilkins
New Member
 
Kwilkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boerne Texas
Unhappy possible ich?

Just got out first Betta yesterday and it would be out luck something goes wrong. So can you tell me if you think its Ich?

.5 tank
no heater
no filter
Kwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #2 
Teishokue
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
looks alot like itch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #3 
fleetfish
Member
 
fleetfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
To be honest, it looks moderate. I don't mean to scare you but ich can be a tough bugger to get rid of. In a .5 gallon, waterchanges should be done every other day. Ich is caused mainly by stress and poor water quality.

What you want to do is do a water change and add some aquarium salt - not table salt! - to your bowl, get an adjustable heater and keep the range within. You might also want to use a different container, such as a Rubbermaid storage bin, for a hospital tank. This way, you can treat your betta without much risk of infecting his original home. The temperature of the water should be no higher than 82 degrees and no lower than 72 degrees - slowly raise the temperature to 82 degrees since ich thrives in lower temperatures. Go to the petstore and look for a medication called Coppersafe or Malachite Green. Make sure to treat him for up to 14 days even if he looks like he's doing better.


Here is a very good link to a better explanation of Ich and what it is:
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/ich/

I hope he gets better soon. I'm sure he will with proper meds and things ... sorry he's ill. Any other questions feel free to ask the forum :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
It looks like ich....with Bettas I like to do the two container method to treat...with or without aquarium salt or higher water temp......

High temps can help speed up the parasite life cycle to get it to fall off the fish faster for manual removal from the water

Salt can kill some of the parasite at some stages of its life cycle, but mostly the salt will help with secondary infections related to the wounds that are left on the fish after the parasite fall off...but clean water will do the same thing in most cases.....

Two cup method-use two small container and move the Betta to the new container with clean like temp dechlorinated water daily....rinsing the other container and allowing to dry for a couple of hours before using the next day....you need to do this for at least 3 days past the last day you could see any of the parasites on the fish body...this is to ensure that none are hiding in the gills.....treatment can vary from 5-14 days....

You can pre-mix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and use this water for the 100% daily water changes if you want to use salt.....adding tannins can also be helpful for stress and secondary infection if you have IAL or dried oak leaf

Raising the water temp will speed the parasite life cycle....I would slowly raise the temp to 86F if you want to add this as part of the treatment-since the parasite has limited ability to reproduce in that temp, however, 82F will also help to speed life cycle to get them to detach faster.....You can achieve this water temp in the small QT containers by floating them in a heated tank-be sure and attach them to the side so they don't sink or get knocked around by the filter....

If the fish had been in a tank with gravel-be sure to vacuum the gravel really good to manually remove the parasite, generally after 48h without a host (the fish) the parasite will die off.....however, some may lay dormant and reinfest if the Bettas immune response is compromised at any point.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 
Kwilkins
New Member
 
Kwilkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boerne Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
To be honest, it looks moderate. I don't mean to scare you but ich can be a tough bugger to get rid of. In a .5 gallon, waterchanges should be done every other day. Ich is caused mainly by stress and poor water quality.

What you want to do is do a water change and add some aquarium salt - not table salt! - to your bowl, get an adjustable heater and keep the range within. You might also want to use a different container, such as a Rubbermaid storage bin, for a hospital tank. This way, you can treat your betta without much risk of infecting his original home. The temperature of the water should be no higher than 82 degrees and no lower than 72 degrees - slowly raise the temperature to 82 degrees since ich thrives in lower temperatures. Go to the petstore and look for a medication called Coppersafe or Malachite Green. Make sure to treat him for up to 14 days even if he looks like he's doing better.


Here is a very good link to a better explanation of Ich and what it is:
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/ich/

I hope he gets better soon. I'm sure he will with proper meds and things ... sorry he's ill. Any other questions feel free to ask the forum :)

did you put a heater in the rubbermaid container? We bought 5 gal tank but dont want to treat him in it and the .5gal tank he is in is plastic...will the heater melt the plastic?
Kwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 
fleetfish
Member
 
fleetfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I've done it many times.
It's safe to put a heater into a Rubbermaid and it won't melt the plastic.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #7 
Twilight Storm
Member
 
Twilight Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Just wanted to throw this out there although I am sure it is common sense.

Don't let your son touch the water while you're treating with coppersafe or malichite green. They are not real friendly medicines for humans/pets to eat. :D

It would be safer to go the natural route with the aquarium salt if he gets into the tank.

API makes a freshwater aquarium salt that comes in a small blue 16oz. box. It's pretty cheap, and it's the smallest container of aq salt I have found near me. (Other brands and sizes would work just as well though.) It's the best medicine to have laying around for a variety of problems that may crop up from time to time.

Anyway, sorry to hear it was ich for sure. I popped in and saw the other post :(
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #8 
Kwilkins
New Member
 
Kwilkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boerne Texas
Happy to report that Blue is getting better :D he only has a few spots left. Then he will get to be in his new 10 gal tank yaaaaay
Kwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.