Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1 
HD4life

Grow out tank question.

What would you consider to be the best size for a grow out tank? I have the opportunity to get a used 55 gallon or I could buy a new 30 gallon for what I have to spend. Any thoughts? I have bought used tanks before and been able to clean them well enough that so far no fish have died being introduced to them, but fry may be different, I just need help going over the pros and cons I guess.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I have never bought or used a brand new tank...everyone of mine are second hand and have never had any issue......well...except for one that leaked...lol....

When I get a used tank and depending on the size....10gal and larger...I set them up outside and fill with diluted bleach water....one, to make the 24h leak test and two, cleaning....if it came with a filter and/or heater...I hook them up too and run the filter to check for leaks, if in working order and clean with the bleach water

Once it passes the leak test....I empty and rinse and usually it will have mineral deposits.....so I will use vinegar and a razor blade to take care of that if its a glass tank...acrylic I don't use a razor but I do use vinegar.....I clean the hood and anything else with the vinegar if it has mineral deposits...rinse well and start setting it up

I don't worry about bleach residue since a little dechlorinator will take care of that and if it has any other type of residue the vinegar with take care of that and running water rinse will take care of the vinegar.......

Like I said...I have never had any issues in regards to health by using a used tank, however, I can't say you won't....just that I have never had any problems...generally you won't with proper cleaning....with that said....when using used tanks that had been used for saltwater and/or if copper was used in the tank....sometimes this can be problematic for shrimp and snails if enough of the copper is left in the tank from being absorbed in acrylic or seals of glass tanks.....

When deciding on buying new and used....I would also look at what each tank came with...like hood, filter, heater....etc.....

I use tanks from 10gal to 75gal for grow-out and 250gal outside in the summer........I like to separate and move the larger fry...leaving the smaller ones in the spawn tank unless I need the tank for another spawn....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 
HD4life

I was considering using a large storage tub (huge clear plastic one) I have for outside this summer if I needed to and then I can just keep seperating fry into my other 10g's too. Im trying to decide the timing on this, if I should buy more plants and a HM female off AB Ive had my eye on, and wait to get the grow out, or buy the tank now while I know I have some money, after all they are only a week old. Decisions decisions lol
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Laffs....I know what ya mean......have you checked out any thrift stores....I have found some really good deals on tanks...cheap, cheap, cheap....lol....and some of them complete...heater, filter..etc.....I do toss some of the stuff like gravel, used filter media, food.....but getting a 10gal complete for less than 10 bucks...can't beat it......you do have to go and check them out frequently since stocking changes daily.......check out my album and you can see some of the odd things I use for my Bettas.....around my house...if it holds water...it will have something aquatic in it...laffs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote