Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Quarantine Tetras?

If I add a school of maybe 5 or 6 tetras to my sorority, should I quarantine them first? If so, how long and, uhm, how? I only have a 3.5g kritter keeper-type tank left. Is that enough to quarantine 5 tetras in? I love my girls and I don't want them to catch anything. Also, regarding stocking. I know tetras are schooling fish and pretty much have to be in a school. But if I add 5 tetras at once, will I completely overload my biofilter? Will they be too stressed if I add in a few at a time, like 2 one week, 3 the next? Thanks for any help and advice.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #2 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Well, if you're going to do neons...

You can certainly QT 5 neons in a 3.5 gallon... they are very small fish and this is temporary... Change their water 100% every couple of days until the QT is over...

Add all the tetras at once. Their bioload is tiny. Just don't add any other fish at the same time, and give the tank a week or so before adding anything else.

I've added four sibling betta fry girls to the sorority at one time, and there were no bad effects from adding that many at once. Neons will feel more secure if they enter the main tank as a group...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Thanks, Here Fishy Fishy Fishy. I was thinking neons or rummynoses, whatever I can find. Probably neons. I've got my trusty ammonia test kits too so now that you've told me their bioload is small I won't worry as much.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Their neons looked a little . . . iffy, so I got four guppies. They're in quarantine right now. Here's hoping they work out (14 day return period, which is good). I'll also check out the other two pet stores near me in the next few days and see how their neons look. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-21-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

You are welcome!

What did you get for guppies... boys or girls, or both?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 
Sakura8

One boy and three girls and alas, they are going back. Within the first hour, they had dropped a lovely assortment of worms; evidence was collected and stored in a bag to show the pet store. I'm not confident enough to try and treat a fish that isn't a betta and I'm also worried I'll get careless and cross-contaminate. My bettas are too important to me to run the risk. I feel really bad for the guppies, though. :( I can only hope Petsmart will actually treat them before releasing them back into the tank for sale.

But on the other hand, I found that petco.com ships live fish and they have panda corys! Next month I'll order four and see how it goes. They might not be quite the distraction fish guppies or neons would be but their chance of becoming betta chow is much slimmer thanks to that armor of theirs. I really like the pandas because they only get 1.5-1.75" long.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Oh, sorry about the guppies! Argh, I detest worms!!!! >:p

Petsmart actually does treat its sick fish. I found a sick yellow betta girl on a shelf, and gave her to the salesperson to QT. I told her if she made it, to give me a call and I'd take her.

About a month later, they did call me back to see the fish. Unfortunately, she was a he! So I didn't get the fish. But He was healthy and ready for some lucky person to take home.

The panda corys should do ok... as long as they aren't too frenetic. My killer betta girl, Baby Blue, couldn't stand them... they were too busy... and she killed one who didn't get out of her way. The other three mellowed out fast and she tolerated them until they moved into the 20H.

The good thing about corys is that they are bottom feeders, and if your tank is big enough and you feed the corys after 'lights out', they should have little interaction with the bettas.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

First, sorry about your guppies! I hope petsmart has the decency to treat them but I don't have much confidence in them... Petco is much more trustworthy IMO.

Panda cories are a good choice since they don't grow as big as emeralds and albinos. They are really cute too! Make sure you QT them.

In general, I don't advise keeping small tetras in sororities since the likelihood that your girls will just tear them to pieces is pretty high. Neons are a definite no. Rummynoses are fin nippers so you should never house them with male bettas but they might work with females.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Ai yi yi yi. When I took the guppies back and showed the clerk the little bag of worms floating around in the water, they said it was just their waste. I said it would have dissolved by now He disagreed. But I mean, those things got sucked up in a turkey baster and into a cup, transferred from a cup to a baggie, and then bounced around on a car ride to the pet store. And the things looked exactly as they did when I first found them. A red-tinted threadish thing curled into a circle about the size of the "O" on your keyboard key. Plus, when transferring the guppies to a gladware to return them, I found several whitish poos. So unless they're feeding these guppies gelatin or something to keep the waste solid, those were worms. The clerk *said* they'd put them in quarantine and treat them but I bet if I go back tomorrow they'd be in the tank again ready for sale.

I've never ordered live fish online so I hope this goes well. Plus, it's Petco . . . I hope the fish they ship are better than the fish in some of the stores. But the only other place I'd consider ordering from is liveaquaria.com and the minimum order is $29.95 with a $40 shipping fee. Sadly, I can't order enough to fulfill the minimum requirement.

Oh definitely, I'm going to QT the pandas when they come. I'm so glad I QTed the guppies or I could have a sad problem on my hands by now. *whew*