Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #1 
Harley

Unhappy Sorry another SPD prob and its long....

Harleys got SBD after I was stupid and over-fed him but it wasn't waaaay over-feeding and I'm a bit surprised it happened. I've been fasting him for 6 days and he's swimming a little bit more today, but still not much. He mainly rests on the bottom and usually out of sight (in a hollow log decoration. I've tried feeding him peas (boiled, deshelled and cut up) but he doesn't seem interested and because of their weight, they sink to the bottom pretty fast. I tried putting them on his hammok but he wasn't interested. I'm wondering what else I can do. I'm getting a bit worried about the not eating (but know he can hold out a while longer) but more worried that he seems to be constipated or at least is no less fat and the fasting isn't working. I've tried to get pictures but he hides by the time my camera is obtained or focus it. Here's the tank info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (sponge)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No, he's a loaner.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin small tropical fish micro granuals
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times daily (normally not too much)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: <=8 (pretty normal for my tap water)
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He lost/changed his color about 6 weeks before this happened
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hides and stays at the bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 6 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? cut out food, tried peas without success
Does your fish have any history of being ill? In past had had fin rot, now cured. Also had SPD before but was gone in about 4-5 days, cured about a month ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him 3 months and he hasn't grown since.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to lose my buddy. We've been through a lot together.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #2 
Sakura8

First, make sure the peas you're giving are either fresh or NO SALT ADDED. I suspect the fact that some frozen peas have extra salt is a cause behind the bad experiences some people have had with feeding pea. And secondly, after boiling, put it in ice water for a minute. Only feed a bit the size of one of his pellets/granules, no bigger.

If the peas sink, can you make them sink right next to Harley so he doesn't have to swim far?

If he hasn't passed any waste at all, put him in a QT container and float it in the tank so he stays warm. Mix up 1g of tank water and 2 tsp of epsom salt. Put that in his QT. Change the water and redo the salt every day and continue the treatment for 10 days. (I did wimp out after 3 days and my guy just got constipated again so yeah, 10 days).
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

That was a good catch on the Pea, Sakura...never thought about the added salt and that could cause more harm than good in some case....anyway...

The Epsom salt 2tsp/gal treatment should help with constipation, however, if you pre-mix in a 1gal jug use fresh dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and if you have tannins to add and steep in the pre-mixed treatment water all the better...use this pre-mixed treatment water for the 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days while you have the Betta in a small QT container floating in the heated tank to maintain a water temp of 76-77F....also cover the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth and attach the QT to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter....

Is he having any buoyancy problems normally seen with SBD.......

Do you have access to any live food like mosquito larva...

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #4 
Harley

Thanks Sakura8 and OFL. I will definitely try to get some fresh peas today for him and move him to a QT. I'll get some Epsom salt and add the IAL I have. I don't have any mosquito larva around here. The last time I asked PetSmart about it they said they had bloodworms which were the same thing. I was skeptical but maybe I'm wrong? He is having buoyancy problems. He tends to swim tilted upward and sometimes vertical with his head up. Most of the time he hides or stays on a leaf though. I'll get pics once I put him in the QT. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Bloodworms are the larva of a type of mosquito called the midge. The larva of the mosquitos we know are black, right OFL?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Aren't they usually clear/ greyish? I don't know about frozen ones though...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #7 
Sakura8

You're right, more clearish/grey but definitely not red. I've never seen frozen mosquito larva. I guess because it's so easy to culture your own they figure there's no profit in mass-producing the things.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #8 
Harley

Sadly I found Harley dead this evening. I had trouble finding him yesterday but just assumed he was hiding like he had been before once in a while. After still not seeing him today, I started moving his decorations around and he was near a plant, but out of sight. I just assumed that if he had died he would just float to the top but I just that doesn't happen when you have SBD really bad. I feel bad cause I overfed him and he died. I only had him for 3 months but he was sick most of the time. R.I.P. Harley. Hope your happy swimming somewhere else now :)

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=13142
Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave him a lot of love and care and you tried your best. And you learned things so the next betta you get will benefit from Harley and the role he played in your life.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I'm sorry that Harley passed, don't be to hard on yourself... Learn from mistakes and make your next fishy's life better. I'm sure wherever Harley is now, he knows how much you cared for him. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote