Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #1 
Nexangelus

Things just went from bad to worse...

What started as stress lines has now immobalized leviathan and he's been unable to move for the last 20 minutes or so. He's breathing REALLY heavy, almost looks like he's sneezing when taking a breath. They're getting more shallow though, and the intervals between breaths is growing longer.

I'm thinking there's little hope left for him, but if anyone has a last minute suggestion on how to help him breath better, I'd be eternally greatfull... :(
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Nex. :( When did this happen??? Can you get him into a QT tank and lower the water level to about an inch and a half so he can reach the surface? Lower the heat to 78* as there's less oxygen in warm water. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
Nexangelus

I regret to inform you he did not make it. The breathing continued to get more shallow and despite me raising him to the surface for air, he did not make it. I think it was that darn algae wafer he ate. He did some weird looking poop in the QT tank and was slightly bloated when he died.

I do believe this is the most upset I've felt about losing a betta. The fact that he overcame whatever was going on when I got him only to die to a freaking algae wafer is heartbreaking and a bit ridiculous.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Nexangelus, I'm so so so sorry. I know how much Leviathan meant to you and how proud you were of him. He was a handsome, vibrant boy and you cared for him so well. I agree, to die from an algae wafer is like a slap in the face after what the two of you overcame. I wish I had something to say but there really isn't anything except I'm thinking of you and you can feel free to PM me any time. :( *biiiiig hug*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote